Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

So yesterday, I went to see Avatar in 3D. It wasn't the life-changing experience I was hoping for, but it certainly did impress me. The plot is nothing we haven't seen before - it rather closely resembles Dances With Wolves. The inhabitants of the planet of Pandora really do remind you of Indians. But the effects, oh my, the effects! The whole film looks absolutely gorgeous, the animation is wonderful. If there ever was a film you can enjoy just for its look, it's this one. The actors are ok (especially Sigourney Weaver!), the plot ok, if not highly original. Certainly worth it.
Trego
Artisan

Re: Avatar

Post by Trego »

Avatar was on my list of movies to see, but I wasn't sure if I'd go to the movies and see it with subtitles in Malay and Chinese ($8, 10 for good seats), or wait (not too long) to get it on DVD.
How much of it was 3D?
I go and see some '3D' movies and there doesn't seem to be much 3D emphasis.
Would it be worth going to see in the theater?
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

someone here described it as Fern gully with aliens :P Still have yet to see it though..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I saw it in 2D and found it entertainingly watchable, but the spiritual message and lovenote to pandora quotient is very high.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I went with my 18-year old son, Saturday, to see it.
I noticed it was the 'regular' movie, and not 3-D, which disappointed me.
I really enjoyed it. Mr. G.I.Joe With an Attitude was a buff old dude. No 'kissy face' fighting for him. :lol:

The 'size' of the alien species really surprised me.
The robotic fighting outfits were real upgrades from the Matrix ones, in the great 'last stand' fight.

While I wouldn't suggest it's worth watching three or four times, it's definitely worth occasional revisits.
I plan on purchasing it.

Star Trek? I already bought it. While it may still be a bit nerdy, I was pleased.
G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra? Really a let down for me. :cry:
"Wuuf's big brother"
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Pocahontas with Smurfs ?.. i should have enough time to watch it next week in 3D.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

cowsmanaut wrote:...Fern gully with aliens...
I've got Fern Gully, I can imagine how that might work, just change the cute flying faeries vs loggers into huge blue creatures vs machine guns. :wink:
linflas wrote:...Pocahontas with Smurfs ?...
I guess Pocahontas is the spiritual side and smurfs are blue vs ...Gargarmel and English explorers?
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I must be the last person to have seen it. I've just returned from seeing it in glorious IMAX 3D at Odeon Greenwich. Not nearly as big as the Waterloo BFI IMAX, but still bloody impressive nevertheless.

Now I know a lot of people think that without the FX, the film is average, and I can agree with that point of view. But I honestly don't care if the plot is predictable, that some of the characters are 1 dimensional and that the environmental message is like hitting us over the head with a hammer. I think it was the most amazing cinema experience I've ever had and I was completely blown away by the immersiveness of the experience. I was emotionally drained and exhausted by the end of the film!

If it's still possible to get tickets, I might actually go and see it at the BFI IMAX -- that screen is 4 times the size of the one I just saw it on!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Nice to hear you enjoyed it! If I had more time, I might have gone a second time, too. I'm already looking forward to the sequel!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Stupidly though might be able to sneak to the iMax tomorrow to see something, and no - Avatar is still booked solid :( Now in the mood to see it since I know it's still on in HUGE 3D!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

beowuuf wrote:Stupidly though might be able to sneak to the iMax tomorrow to see something
It's IMAX. Apple has corrupted you! :shock: :mrgreen:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, I thought it was like an internet terminal, but TO THE MAX!

*runs*
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't worry, Gambit - you're not the "last person to have seen it". I expect I'll get rond to it when it comes out on DVD ;).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

DVD? This is one film you *really* need to see at the cinema!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

At the prices they charge these day? Heh, no thanks ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:Don't worry, Gambit - you're not the "last person to have seen it". I expect I'll get rond to it when it comes out on DVD ;).
I haven't seen it yet either. And I'm not planning to watch it in the future.* :shock:

*although this might happen
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

awesome cgi :shock: i wish i could have subtitles to understand everything !
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"hey I just saw avatar again, for the 4th time, awesome movie. That movie is like the dictionary definition of what a movie should be. ie, Awesome.

uh, there's some much stuff I liked I had to write it down. Um, I liked the glow in the dark plants, I liked the helicopters, the 3.. the 3d, uhm, unobtanium(background mom calling his name) the... floating mountains, which were made of unobtanium, probably. The robots with the little people inside, uh, shooting sh(bleep) up, uh, the uhm, (background calling again) the computer screens that are see through, uh, not like my piece of cr(bleep), (smacks computer), uhm.. uh, uhmm the hammer head, uhm uh.. rhinocer.. eh there's so much I like.. the one thing I don't like mr Cameron, is the big blue uhm... tree hugging, uhhh, hippy cats.

Oh jake, you uh got little jelly fish all over you.. uhm, their, uh she's scottish. uh. that must mean that um, you can come home and meet me parents and we can go on a date. and stuff..

oh yeah, like that's how it's gonna happen with my first girlfriend. And what's with the uh uh uh, ponytail, spaghetti, usb port? uhm just put that into the nearest ptarodactyl and and (background calling, your away flying, yeah like that's realistic (laughs)(calling "For the last time get down here right now) what's that little kitty? they uh broke your little tree house. oh.. uhm well, what're you gonna do about it? you gonna.. you gonna fight? uh uh oh, no you're not gonna fight.. you're gonna , you're gonna sit down and uh, do some yoga, and some pilates. Yeah cause that's really gonna teach those bad guys a lesson (laughs) Lucky for you that. the hammer head rhino's and the panthers decide to, uh decide to.. conveniently, to uhm, to change sides and to go ull goody goody, and then fall on your side against the coolest robot technology man has ever seen... they would'a whooped your butts! if uh, if it wasn't for them.. even with the 9 lives. (music stops, mom says"turn that racket off it's supper time) what are we having? (mom "Marrow bone") sweeeeeeet. apart from that, pretty cool, three stars, out."

ask and ye shall receive :P
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

many thanks !
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Avatar is out on DVD today apparently. I saw it earlier this year in 3D, i thought the story was kinda cheesy but visually it was outstanding, however, the 3D aspect serves as little enhancement. Pleanty of room for improvement i think!
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh yes, it is indeed out today. I've not seen it yet but I imagine my parents will be getting it at some point. I've heard it's one of those films which is a case of "Never mind the plot, look at the special effects". It does look cool, though.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Avatar is an average film, but a stupendous cinema experience when seen in 3D in a proper large screen cinema. I'd only watch on DVD as a last resort for not having seen it how it was meant to be seen.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The plot is some throwaway hippie garbage about how nature is harmonious and the military-industrial complex is evil*. However, if you don't think this through very much, and just enjoy the wonderful visuals, action, and whatnot, it's a perfectly fine movie. I don't think all the hyperbole about the "greatest film of all time" or whatever is valid, but it's definitely worth a watch and Gambit is right, it needs a big screen.

I didn't see the theatrical version, so I don't know how it compares, but I had a pretty good experience watching it on Blu-Ray using a DLP projector and a large screen. I wouldn't want to watch it on a normal tv. :D

*Granted, I'm no fan of the military-industrial complex either, but the view put forth in Avatar is very oversimplified.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I never really noticed before, but in fact Avatar's plot closely mirrors one of Lord of the Rings' sub-plots (mechanisation vs. living in harmony with nature). Phfshew, Cameron really does steal from everywhere, doesn't he!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...oh yeah, like that kind of plot's never come up anywhere else either ;).
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Have you seen this? Live Avatar Role Playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk2vR8w2sjc
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Avatar is basically a rip-off of Pocahontas and/or Dances with Wolves. The plot is really stolen together from everywhere. Still, it's an amazing experience, and if you just lay back and enjoy without thinking too much, it's pretty good. Nowhere near the best movie of all time though.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

I saw it the opening weekend here is 3D. I wish I could say that I hated it, because...ya know, that would imply that it generated "some" emotion in me. As it was, I was simply checking my watch every 10 minutes to figure out how much was left. Yeah the effects were nice, but that doesn't hold my attention for very long. I pretty much thought the same thing about "The Matrix": "Where's the beef??"
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Since Matrix (at least the first part) does have an intelligent plot, I don't think that comparison fits very well.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.