Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Stingm
Apprentice

Re: Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS

Post by Stingm »

I saw it on opening day and thought it was pretty good. The story was excellent and the effects were great. But if you expect it to be tied into a part of the original series don't. They definitely changed some things but it is well worth watching and adding to your collection.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

I haven't had the chance to go and watch it yet.
Euro 2012 is to blame 8)
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

lord soth 75 wrote:Euro 2012 is to blame 8)
So you'll have plenty of time starting from June 24. :)

I'll take my coat... :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Them's fighting words.

I am convinced more than ever I need to see the film again. I shall maybe go tomorrow then say my final thoughts on it.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Ok, my two cents:
Spoiler
The film was visually stunning, the first 3D film to really impress me. The first scene is especially amazing.
Spoiler
The plot was either written by a child or by someone high on pot. I mean, it's like a mess a various quality ideas, from brilliant to utter non-sense, mashed together. What springs out is non-sense. Some scenes are even ridiculous to the point of hilarity ("run-run, just not in the direction of the crashing ship!") To me, it has to be seen as a movie completely independent of Alien, with just a small reference at the end. Unfortunately this reference brings nothing and is even weird with respect to the original "Alien life cycle" (not considering other movies than the first, director's cut one). Most "twists" ("I am your dad") in the scenario are unnecessary and actually remove the tension that is otherwise very well created from the atmosphere, image and sound alone
What Is Your Quest ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Although I enjoyed it immensely at the time, having now had more time to think about it, I agree with Joramun's true spoiler. Much of the film simply does not make sense, and there are far too many times where suspending our disbelief is very difficult...
Spoiler
Elizabeth Shaw running around quite happily after giving herself a caesarian was especially daft, regardless of how many drugs she'd shot herself up with.
I think the overall story is actually quite a good one, it just wasn't executed as well as it might have been.
Spoiler
While the idea that mankind is an evolution of a space faring race is not a new one
, I thought the way it was done here was OK. I was a little disappointed though that
Spoiler
the Engineers were actually human looking underneath their bio-mechanical armour, I would have preferred somehting truly alien -- but then again, it's hard for us to relate to things that are totally alien, so in some ways this was the most obvious thing to do, and it was obviously a major plot device anyway.

The
Spoiler
black liquid dna mutator/evolver
was a good plot device, and I think it was very clear throughout the film that it had
Spoiler
multiple and awesome capabilities
, so I'm pretty happy with
Spoiler
the 'birth' at the end of the film
being part of that plot. Of course, it makes no sense at all that
Spoiler
the critter Shaw removed from herself grew into that massive tentacled proto-facehugger with no source of food, but hey...
As for how that relates to the future alien lifecycle seen in the films we already know -- well, you can assume that the first alien continued to mutate and evolve and created a new lifecycle after the events of Prometheus. Unless of course
Spoiler
that wasn't the 'first' alien to ever evolve, but was in fact the intended result of the Engineer's mutator; after all, the mural seen in that cave with the big head clearly has an alien in the middle.
I was a bit annoyed by a lot of the contrivances used to get the plot to go where it had to go.
Spoiler
Helmet removal, playing with mutant worms, etc
. Trained scientists just wouldn't do stuff like that. But heigh ho, it made for some interesting and fun scenes! :-) I loved the
Spoiler
holographic recording of the Engineers trying to escape at the beginning of the film, and then finding the piles of dessicated bodies
, that was all suitably eerie and tied in well to the vibe of the original Alien film.

I could list a lot of other issues, but I would be a bit churlish since despite all the issues, I actually really enjoyed it. The 3D was very good too, although I watched it with those really slim Dolby 3D glasses which didn't fit properly over my own specs, so it didn't completely work... and some scenes where the focal point changed rapidly were very hard to watch in 3D.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Joramun wrote:
Spoiler
The film was visually stunning
Joramun wrote:
Spoiler
The plot was either written by a child or by someone high on pot.
Personally, I'd apply these two comments on anything I've had the misfortune to watch from the "mainstream movie production" during last ten years.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've watched it again at home now, and I have to admit it's not nearly as good as it should have been.

I've also seen the deleted scenes, which don't add much and you can see why they were cut, although there's an interesting one between the Captain and Meredith Vickers. There's also a few scenes that really sell the idea of the alien evolution, all these were cut too (and in fact a very different version of the mutant Fifield coming back and attacking the ship shows him as almost Alien like) -- these Alien foreshadowing scenes would have really made it a much more obvious 'prequel', so they obviously changed their minds about that aspect well after some of this stuff had been created. There's an extrended scene when they wake the engineer: Weyland says a bunch of stuff to the engineer about him and the engineer sharing the qualities of gods -- then asks to be immortal. David translates, and that's when the engineer thinks 'sod that' and twats them all.

There's a different ending: Shaw cat-and-mouses the Engineer when he comes back to the life raft and just before he's about to kill her, she opens the door to the squid thing which then grabs him and does that alien transformation. Before she goes back to David on the engineer's ship, they have a different conversation, he says that the Engineer was from 'paradise'.

I still think the film is OK, but so many stupid things happen that really undermine the film's scope and credibility. A shame.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts On The Prometheus That Never Was:
http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/ ... p?IID=1563
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Some interesting thoughts in this article (7 pages)
http://whatculture.com/film/prometheus- ... stions.php
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

2 points. Ridley Scott is scouting locations in Australia for Prometheus 2. The screenwriter for No. 1 is not on board for 2. I personally love Prometheus and totally got it. I saw the first Alien in 1979. I am a dinosaur.
zoinkers
Novice

Post by zoinkers »

Sweet. Loved #1, and looking forward to #2.
veillon53
Neophyte

Post by veillon53 »

lord soth 75 wrote:Anyone else really looking forward to watching this movie from the brilliant Ridley Scott?
I am.

After years of the utter garbage Alien Vs Predator nonsense movies it will be a breath of fresh air to finally understand who the space jockeys are,and what part they play in the whole Alien universe.
And,with this being a Ridley movie entreprise,Every frame will be a work of visual brilliance.

Here is one of the most recent trailers for anyone who is unfamiliar with this impending masterpiece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4FI3309wg

CANNOT WAIT for this movie :D :D

I never tire of watching this movie , it's a good film and deserves an oscar I think.