Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
lord soth 75
Adept

Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS

Post by lord soth 75 »

Anyone else really looking forward to watching this movie from the brilliant Ridley Scott?
I am.

After years of the utter garbage Alien Vs Predator nonsense movies it will be a breath of fresh air to finally understand who the space jockeys are,and what part they play in the whole Alien universe.
And,with this being a Ridley movie,Every frame will be a work of visual brilliance.

Here is one of the most recent trailers for anyone who is unfamiliar with this impending masterpiece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4FI3309wg

CANNOT WAIT for this movie :D :D
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, been following this for some time. Can't wait :-)

By the way, that trailer above is not great quality. For the full effect, it's better to get the high-def ones from here if you can:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/prometheus/
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

I can't wait either. I love the Alien series and have been hoping Ridley would get involved again.
Ja'Ph'
Neophyte

Post by Ja'Ph' »

Wow, that trailer was awesome.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Given the explanation from people like Damon Lindoff on what the movie is trying ot go for, ansd from the trailers...I am definitely quietly optimistic here.

Still, my brian is firmly in Cabin in the Woods / AVENGERS! mode right now. Prometheus and Dark Knight Rises are so far away for now...
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ beowuuf
I still find it absolutely staggering that there has never been a video game adaptation of the original 'ALIEN' movie.
Sure,we'v had the Space marines Vs Predator Vs Alien games...But no survival horror game pitting unarmed space truckers Vs The Alien.

RE-Dark Knight Rises
Cant wait for that movie too. It looks brilliant in the trailers.

RE-Marvel
They really need to make a movie version of the 'Secret Wars' graphic novels.Once again,im staggered that Hollywood hasn't thought of doing it.It would be the ultimate Marvel superheroes movie,and the trailers alone would send the cinema's into meltdown.
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

lord soth 75 wrote:I still find it absolutely staggering that there has never been a video game adaptation of the original 'ALIEN' movie.
I think it's perfectly understandable. No-one wants to try, because it's really hard to make an interesting game out of PEOPLE RUNNING AWAY FROM A SINGLE ENEMY. I can't imagine a game where all I get to do is run away from one monster for several hours, it would be pretty boring. The tension works well in a film, but as an interactive medium, I think you'd have to significantly change the story to keep the player engaged -- and then it wouldn't be Alien, would it?

Nah, I'm happy that no-one's tried to gamify this classic film; I just don't think it would work.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Silent Hill 2 :) Ok, actually there were far more than just pyramid head.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Gambit37 wrote:I think it's perfectly understandable. No-one wants to try, because it's really hard to make an interesting game out of PEOPLE RUNNING AWAY FROM A SINGLE ENEMY. I can't imagine a game where all I get to do is run away from one monster for several hours, it would be pretty boring. The tension works well in a film, but as an interactive medium, I think you'd have to significantly change the story to keep the player engaged -- and then it wouldn't be Alien, would it?
Perhaps you could make a game from the Alien's perspective. Chasing people for several hours and killing them one by one might be quite interesting. :wink: Although it wouldn't be too innovative. But modern games are not innovative in general so meh. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, glad to see a potentially good Alien movie coming! Scott (or was it Cameron?) was planning to make another movie, but then felt that AvP had discredited the franchise.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Jan wrote:Perhaps you could make a game from the Alien's perspective. Chasing people for several hours and killing them one by one might be quite interesting.
The alien campaign of the various Aliens vs Predator games usually worked like this. It was usually pretty fun, too.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, true, the Alien perspective in AvP was pretty cool. Anyway, getting way off topic, let's discuss the new film :)
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

oh_brother wrote:Yes, glad to see a potentially good Alien movie coming! Scott (or was it Cameron?) was planning to make another movie, but then felt that AvP had discredited the franchise.
I think it was Renny Harlin who initially wanted to create a prequel to the franchise.But,his ideas were shot down during the pre-production for what would eventually become the Alien 3 movie.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0e4oHV67VW0/T ... ophobe.jpg
That's as close as they got to your idea Lord soth 75. The aliens in it and characters appeared to be loosely based on that movie. Though it wasn't all that haunting.. ;) but it certainly did get intense and waste a number of quarters.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

An interesting thign to note is that the idea now is that while Prometheus is set in the same universe and touches on the aliens film, it's not supposed to be a direct prequel. So the sequel to Prometheus is not Alien, it would be Prometheus II.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

I'm so happy they finally got away from the AvP *crap*. Alien still stands the test of time (if you ignore the 80s hair) and I'm hoping Prometheus turns into another classic!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Some new informations to explore :-) https://www.weylandindustries.com/

The main menu on the left is mostly restricted, but it hints at lots of stuff to be released in the coming weeks.... oooooooh!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Oooo fun! I think I got everything working thats available right now. (I run NoScript) I love super immersive stuff like this. It sure beats the hell outta a 5 second movie preview. Currently watching the lil you tube "advertisement" about the new "David8" android. My best friend is gonna tweak when I show him.
And hmm, I read this on the site:
Unlike human counterparts, David 8 is willing to perform any task that he is assigned, without question or resistance. He will not flinch at even the most disturbing or seemingly irregular assignment, and he will dutifully persevere until reaching his final objective.

That's slightly...disturbing. Plot point, perhaps?

Thanks, Gambit!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE!! :) :) :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Remember, David 8 is made sad by <i>unnecessary</i> violence.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

He has the same disturbing tone as David from AI. I wonder if that was intentional, as well as the name choice?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

The movie looks really good. Can't wait for it! (Well, i can, but eagerly).

Btw, I think some old retro alien games are closer to the first movie.
But maybe it's just that by the time graphic video game existed, "aliens" was out and the franchise was turned into an action movie with monsters much more fit for videogames.
What Is Your Quest ?
raixel

Post by raixel »

Aliens would have been *so* much better if it wasn't for that annoying little girl and her incessant ear-piercing screaming. Even when I was young and used to watch it, I wanted her to have a chest-burster come flying out, just to shut her up. I hope to god the new movie doesn't have anything of that nature in it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

So I finally saw it tonight and loved it! Then I thought "Hang on, why hasn't anyone on the DM forum said anything about it yet, I thought they were all desparate to see it!?"

So before I wax lyrical about this great film (if a little choppy and inconsistent in places), how many of you have seen it?
raixel

Post by raixel »

I havent, but Im really excited to. Go ahead and wax poetic, I wanna hear how good it was!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'll wait until you've seen it to comment. Or until I've seen it again!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Gambit37 wrote:"(...) I thought they were all desparate to see it!?"
You were wrong, mate. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I watched it a month ago and really enjoyed it. Purists may notice inconsistent events but that didn't bother me. It's a brilliant movie.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I have not been able to see it yet, but the few people I spoke to were not overly impressed. So I am very glad to hear the positive reviews here!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, the planet in Prometheus is not the same as in Alien/Aliens... so any continuity 'grrrrr' noises should be lessened for that alone.