Jedi Mickey?

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ParuNexus
Adept

Jedi Mickey?

Post by ParuNexus »

Its official Disney payed $4 billion to buy Lucasfilms... many sites have already covered the news... Episode 7 due out in 2015. This is NOT a Hoax :(

The deal is a stock and cash transaction, with Lucas receiving about half of the $4.05 billion value of the deal in cash plus some 40 million stock shares. ""It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," Lucas said in a statement. "I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
ParuNexus
Adept

Re: Jedi Mickey?

Post by ParuNexus »

"It also confirmed a long-term plan of releasing a new feature Star Wars film every two to three years — beyond the planned Episodes 7, 8, and 9."
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

On the one hand "3 Star Wars Movies that George Lucas won't write or direct" = YAY!
On the other hand, I'm 40 years old and have no further interest in that world = "So what?"

I'm not entirely sure what it means overall that Disney have bought Lucasfilm. Probably something important, but it escapes me right now...
That said, I didn't realise Disney owned Marvel too. Generally the Marvel film adaptations have been OK, so perhaps it's not all bad news - and of course, Pixar is owned by Disney and still does great stuff.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

wow.. Starwars the musical.. :P I can't wait for wookies to break out in song.. a whooooollleee neewwww worrrrrrld....

Sarcasm aside.. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. It's not as if disney has assured highest of quality standards. They've released horrid live action movies that should never have been thought up let alone actually made.. "race to witch mountain" anyone?.. :S

If not for Pixar..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

They'll be dictating what they want to see, but able to push the money for it to be produced, there's still Lucasfilm as an intermediary just as Pixar was. Just weird for something that has been so locked in stone as Lucas's property to be up for grabs like that!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I've heard it on the radio this morning. The idea of Disney screwing up the Star Wars legend worries me. A lot. They shouldn't resurrect it. They should leave it as it is. And come up with something new. But that's the trouble. They're not able and not willing to do this.
ParuNexus wrote:"It also confirmed a long-term plan of releasing a new feature Star Wars film every two to three years — beyond the planned Episodes 7, 8, and 9."
Oh, dear. Here we go. :(
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

And I heard on the BBC that the first is going to be set after Return of the Jedi, with Han, Luke and Leia.

Not sure what the story can be, since the bad guys are all dead. Unless it is Attack of the Sith Again, followed by The Jedi Return Once More. And who will play Luke, Han and Leia?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Remeber only emperor is dead - there's still an entire galaxy wide imperial army including generals. My understanding was that was one part of the expanded universe novels set after the film.

Also as pointed out, Disney's done well with supporting existing properties, the problems often come when pushing new stuff :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Hmmm...possibly, I have not read any of the Expanded Universe stuff. But still, at first glance it would seem that it either (i) is just a mopping-up operation or (ii) belittles what went before by having an even bigger, badder imperial dude.

I don't doubt that it will be an impressive spectacle all the same. And if reviews are good I would go to see it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That phrase is actually used in the wiki summary, but also it's a fun shifting of the Rebellion as the new command structure, looking ot get its roots before the counter attack happens - still plenty of scope to be epic, with it beuing different. I suppose I should get around to reaing the books myself, there was lots of good stuff talked about it back in the day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Jan wrote:The idea of Disney screwing up the Star Wars legend worries me. A lot.
No need to worry there. Episodes 1, 2, and 3 already screwed it up. :mrgreen:
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I think the biggest issue will be Disney's rabid approach to IP protection. They've sued schools over murals of Disney characters.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Just so everyone is aware, the story post "return of the jedi" has already been established.. Luke goes darkside and Leya learns the ways of the force and fights to bring him back.. the whole like father, like son deal.. Graphic novels have covered it a fair bit, and in the video games the aftermath of Lukes turn to the darkside were hinted at .. he even starred in a game at one point talking about how he fought his battles with himself to overcome the dark urges and return to the side of light.

So unless it's a complete reboot.. (disney wouldn't do that no would they.. :P ) it'll likely follow something along those lines..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I read the Thrawn trilogy, those were actually quite good, but they don't involve Luke going to the Dark Side.... so does this mean there are multiple expanded universes, and if so, which one would the new films follow?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

@Gambit: yes, there multiple attempts of sequels, though the most official is the Thrawn trilogy, from what I remember.
it'll likely follow something along those lines..
And the sidekick will be something adorable with eyes and furs, maybe the son of Chewbacca, awwwwww, and the rebellion against authority will be turned into hatred towards an ugly and grotesque caricature... *pessimistic*
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, the jar-jar (aka roger rabbit clone) character is already an over animated cartoony kid character, supported by childrens ideas (george asked his kids input).. So, the tone has already been set..

I have not read Thrawn, but as far as I know there are not multiple *legitimate* timelines (reboots) of the continuing story.. One thing George Lucas was pretty firm on. The bit I refer to happens after Thrawn and is even a continuation of that story line, and has a point where luke is tempted by the darkside and then comes back from it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Empire

This is apparently what they refer back to in Jedi outcast with kyle katarn meeting Luke and a conversation they have. Which is a rare thing in any official storyline(seeing a main character from the original series).. the whole reason for creating new characters in the same universe is to avoid tainting the main story. So if George maintains any specific hold on the series as part of his dark dealings with Disney, it should follow something amongst one of the already defined timeline that George said ok to. As Thrawn is first in the chain and deals with Luke at least.. then I guess it would be the first to take to the screen.. and darkside luke won't be until much later.. if at all.

oh well :) Either way.. I'm not looking that forward to it.. at least not in story.. but perhaps in artwork :)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Star Wars.
Star Trek.

Some will be like me, happy to see those old memories brought back again.
Some will be like me, irritated when they 'mess up' some of those memories, with a 'new twist' to the story, which just can't be possible (in some of our opinions :wink: ).

I've been hoping for another trilogy since before the second trilogy happened in the movies.

So many good books. Wish some more of them were movies.

More Dune stuff.
And please, give me some Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever films.
"Wuuf's big brother"