sneak peek artwork

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

sneak peek artwork

Post by cowsmanaut »

[img http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cowsman ... 3.png.html]Image

underworld image for the storyline in my egyptian puzzle game..
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: sneak peek artwork

Post by Ameena »

Wow, that looks cool :D. I like the lighting effects.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not sure if it's my screen, but the image is so dark I can't see anything except the flames on the left. Perhaps boost overall brightness to show some detail in the darker areas?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

On a Bellina 1680 x 1024, a MVA (Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) screen.
With my default brightness set at 30, contrast at 75, it is very dark but I see all details. With brightness set at 76, it is not so dark, but it doesn't reveal new details.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

the mood is intended to be dark, and underground.. this is the underworld of the Pharaoh, where he faces the 12 gates, each a test to pass through the levels of the underworld and rise again as the sun.

you should see a city in a cavern, the only elements you are supposed to see is the city, and light shaft on the right, the far away exit on the middle left.. and the anubis statue on the far left.. also to be able to see some of the water .. the rest is almost black with a dark fog..

it's meant to be viewed on a phone, and on there, the details that are meant to be seen are seen.. but I could enhance some details on the anubis statue's head a bit more.. just to make him more visible.. I've tested it on my sony tablet and my samsung galaxy s3 .. however, monitors are far less predictable.. my wife constantly sets hers far darker than mine.. I'll refine and repost at a later point.. see if it improves..
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I can see all the details you mentioned. Cool - I know a bit about the journey thing that it was believed Pharaohs had to make after their deaths. I can't remember whether they still had to do the heart-weighing thing as well or whether this was what they did instead just because they were the Pharaoh and that made them speshul ;).
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that's the feather of Ma'at ... he wights their heart against the feather and if their heart is heavier than the feather they are not worthy to pass.. The 12 gates represent the 12 hours from when the sun goes down to when it rises again.. so in each hour is a different test.. they always say the pharaoh is the reincarnation of the sun god, so it's him returning to being the sun in essence..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that's the feather of Ma'at ... he wights their heart against the feather and if their heart is heavier than the feather they are not worthy to pass.. The 12 gates represent the 12 hours from when the sun goes down to when it rises again.. so in each hour is a different test.. they always say the pharaoh is the reincarnation of the sun god, so it's him returning to being the sun in essence..
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I know bits and pieces of the myth, about the weighing of the heart against a feather to see if you'd been good enough to get into the afterlife or not (as opposed to your sould being permanently consumed and therefore consigned to oblivion), thuogh I didn't know the feather had a name. I just wasn't sure whether Pharaohs had to do that bit as well, or whether the boat trip was basically the alternative afterlife because they were Pharaoh. I suppose it was assumed that because they were the reincarnation of a god they didn't have to do the same stuff as normal mortal people, and having to pass through all the gates was the special Pharaohs-only test which would prove them that way. I seem to recall he has to do all that alone and doesn't have any gods on-hand like the other people do (ie Anubis would guide them over to the heart-weighing area, etc).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Getting help from the judges? Hardly seems fair!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Technically your worthiness is judged via the heaviness of your heart compared to the feather, so it's not judged by the gods as far as I'm aware. Osiris oversees everything though, as God of the Dead.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah yeah, as the biased God of the Dead!
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

-Left: Isis in front of the dead person Naoumé
-Center: The weighting of the heart. In the left plate the heart, in the right plate the feather of the godess of justice (Maât). Anubis checks the weighting.
-Right: Osiris gives the verdict.

Jugement "the book of the dead" of Naoumé, a musician of d'AMon-Rê of Deir el-Bahari - XXIème dynasty . Metropolitan Museum - New-York.

Book of the dead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, and what's that Anubis? PULLING ON THE CHAIN I SEE???!!!!

(Biased) god of the (it's a fix) dead :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol. If you ever get to play Sentinels of the Multiverse, you can kill him and get your revenge (and a bunch of other Egyptian gods too) ;).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

From The British Museum Ancient Egypt http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/menu.html#

ImageImageImageImage
Isis, Ma' ât, Anubis, Osiris.

All gods and goddesses with links to their features. http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/gods/explore/main.html
A tiny game: http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/gods/activity/main.html