cable boxes

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

cable boxes

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I am not sure if anyone has come across this problem but here goes...

I bought a new cable box a little more than a year ago. I hooked it up, got it all working. It was the latest one out called NetBox 4. It had a 1TB HDD drive for it and the capability of recording 7 shows at once. For all the time that I had it I can hear the arm ( I think it is magnetic so it would be a magneto) moving over the disk constantly. It was so bothersome and many nights I did not get a good sleep while passed out in front of it. Last Thursday after having almost no sleep as the thing was so loud that that morning, I got up in a rage and ripped it apart, I drilled the security screws out since I didn't at that second have a security torx screwdriver and just ripped it apart, some plastic parts broke which was mostly what it was made of. I finally got at the drive, it was a Toshiba, the noisiest drive I have ever heard. I planned on replacing the drive with an SSD 1T. I ordered immediately after finding the cheapest one, $210.00 Canadian, $235.00 after tax, it was delivered that Sunday, a day late for two day shipping but since it was the weekend I didn't care and I was using the old box we had but I had to work quick because all the new shows were coming and my wife was worried I could not complete the task. I searched everywhere on the internet about being able to replace one of these drives in a cable box with an SSD, my model had no info on it. I was so determined to fix this thing that I would have thrown it out if I couldn't. I GOT LUCKY. I plugged in the new drive without even having to raw copy the original since it was basic and had no FATS or NFTS, it was BASIC. Thank goodness that when I plugged it in it recognized the drive and formatted it for me, took about 5 minutes and there it was, it was a netbox that could record lots of shows and it made ZERO NOISE, I was so pleased and relieved that it could be done. So anyone out there that has a box that makes too much noise from the armature moving over the disk, you can replace it with an ssd and it works just fine, fast, quiet and well worth it. Why they don't come like that to begin with is stupid since it cost $800 Canadian in the first place, they could have jumped it up to $950 and I wouldn't have cared, as long as it is quiet and fast. It took me over a year to address the problem but that night I was just getting a cold, lost my sleep and wanted it fixed, even my wife and daughter were concerned at my determination, they had doubts I could do it, but it was done, I'LL DO ANYTHING FOR A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP, didn't want to go to bed and cough all over my wife and keep her awake, so this was the moment and it all turned out AWESOME. I put it all back together with non security screws and it looks like new, nobody is going to see the broken plastic clips that required a proprietary tool so it was a success story. I wish everyone else the same, you can do it if you are determined or, lol, in a rage.
The ssd was made of plastic, first one I have bought that was made of plastic for the body, so it was light. I used a tiny strip of sticky Velcro to attach it inside the box since the adapter I bought with it did not fit, it makes no noise now :D
keep your gor coin handy