[Custom dungeon] Kid Dungeon (Original) [CSBWin, RTC, DM PC, DM Amiga] [Matthew Hill (a.k.a. Gambit)] **Update**

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

[Custom dungeon] Kid Dungeon (Original) [CSBWin, RTC, DM PC, DM Amiga] [Matthew Hill (a.k.a. Gambit)] **Update**

Post by Gambit37 »

Version: RTC v0.24 or CSBWin 9.5 or PC v3.4
Platform: CSBWin, RTC, DM PC, DM Amiga
Author: Matthew Hill (a.k.a. Gambit)
Email address: gambit@dmcodex.com
Date published: 2003, March 13
Date last updated: 2003, May 12

Notes:
Here's the long-awaited(?) update to the Kid Dungeon. As well as .DAT files for CSBWin and PC DM, I've finally included the .RTC version. Unzip the file and stick the .RTC file in your RTC/Modules folder to play it. VERSION 0.24 ONLY!!! There's not much to it, but the Treasure Maze might annoy you!

This is the Kid dungeon that was hidden in the Apple IIgs version of Dungeon Master. I used various tools to extract the DAT files from the IMG files found on this site, then I used ChristopheF's conversion and compression scripts to create versions of the Dungeon for different platforms.

This has been tested with PC version 3.4 and CSBwin Version 9.5.

Instructions:
Simply rename the relevant DAT file to DUNGEON.DAT and copy to the relevant location of your desired platform:
  • PC Version
    • In your DM directory is a folder called DATA. Rename kiddungeon_PC.dat to DUNGEON.DAT and overwrite the file. Make sure you backup first!
  • CSB Win Version
    • In your CSB Win folder is a subfolder called DUNGEON MASTER-ATARI. Rename kiddungeon_ST&Amiga.dat to DUNGEON.DAT and overwrite the file. Make sure you backup first!
  • Atari ST and Amiga Disk image files (for use with Emulators)
    • You will need disk image file management utilities to insert the DAT file into the image file. For Amiga ADFs this is ADFOpus. For ST files, I haven't explored this; you're on your own!
  • RTC Version
    • This version is a faithful copy of the original for RTC version 0.24. I originally built this dungeon after mapping it by hand. Once I extracted the actual dungeon and was able to view it using CSBuild, I tweaked my RTC dungeon slightly to reflect things I had only been able to guess. Un-rar the .RTC file into your RTC/MODULES folder. When you run RTC, select "Kid Dungeon" from the list to play it.
Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Is this for RTC or do you replace original DM files?
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Um, didn't I explian it well enough? :wink: In the RAR file you'll find .DAT files for the original DM or a .RTC file for RTC... :)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

DOH!! Muppet of the day award to andyboy. :? Sorry Gambit
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Woohoo, third RTC dungeon...its almost like its getting popular to edit for it : )

Re: RTC/CSBWIN/PC DM: OFFICIAL Kid Dungeon **Update**

Post by Guest »

Gambit37 wrote:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt_hill/ ... update.rar

Here's the long-awaited(?) update to the Kid Dungeon. As well as .DAT files for CSBWin and PC DM, I've finally included the .RTC version. Un-rar the file and stick the .RTC file in your RTC/Modules folder to play it. VERSION 0.24 ONLY!!! There's not much to it, but the Treasure Maze might annoy you!

I've uploaded it on my ISP space 'cos I can't get to the Encyclopaedia; haven't been able to all day...
Sorry to use this old thread.

on the top link i found a rar file with the following message :
"Atari ST and Amiga Disk image files (for use with Emulators)
You will need disk image file management utilties to insert the DAT file into the image file.
For Amiga ADFs this is ADFOpus.
For ST files, I haven't explored this; you're on your own!"

so i tried to insert the Kid Dungeon in a working Atari ST image, and i
succeed :wink:

maybe someone yet did it ?
if not, and if someone is interested, how do i have to proceed to upload it ?
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Sorry, i forgot to log for the former message :oops:

Gambit,
can you tell me how you extract the Kid Dungeon and how you convert it to Atari ST format ?

Can i use the tools to convert other Custom Dungeons to Atari ST format, in the aim to use them Steem, and release them for Atari community ?

Thanks !
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I used Christophe's tools from the Encyclopaedia pages:

http://dmweb.free.fr/Downloads.htm#Tool ... 20dungeons
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Thanks Gambit,

i finally found the page, and i succeed in converting dungeon.dat from PC files to Atari files.

i have converted almost 20 custom dungeons to Atari ST, so they can be played on real Atari ST.

some few crashed after loading, i have to check if the dungeon.dat is functionnal on PC.

i'm still searching for a tool to convert dmsave.dat from PC to ST.

Thanks for the help :wink:
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

One of the few dungeons that has documented its engine versions.
I assume that RTC V0.24 means it was created and compiled in DMute for RTC and tested with RTC V0.24, but was never compiled in a later version of RTCEditor, right?

Did anyone playtest it thoroughly in later RTC engine versions?

Gambit: Since my main intention currently is the preservation of all dungeons and prevention of data loss - would you be willing to provide the source files for backup puroposes (of course you decide yourself whether it shall be public or not).
Last edited by Lunever on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I created it in the RTC Editor. Originally, I mapped the entire thing by hand and built it in RTCEditor, guessing at some mechanisms that I couldn't get to. Later when I managed to extract the original dungeon, I compared it and then updated my RTC version with the new stuff I discovered. But yes, all done in v0.24.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in later versions of RTC, it only uses very basic mechanics. If I can find the source I'll post it up.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I found the file. A quick look suggests that I may not have updated the TXT file to match the extracted dungeon after all. I honestly can't remember, it was 7 years ago. I have vague memories of updating it, but perhaps I didn't! In fact, looking at the way the TXT file is written, the comments and the item numbering, I think I must have actually created it entirely by hand without an editor. I really don't remember doing that! :shock:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I shouldn't be spending time on this, gotta work, but was curious to give it a quick play in 0.49. That TXT file has some issues, it doesn't seem to be right: for example there's two rats in a corridor near the beginning that shouldn't be there. No idea what they are for!

Either I need to find the original file, or clean this up. You can still take that file if you want, but an improved version would be best for archival purposes.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes - it's been a long time ago. Since in my current engine archive I don't have an RTCEditor.exe V0.24 with the RTC.exe V0.24, I assumed that the RTCEditor came later. But if you used it for this one, I guess (honestly can't remember) that it came seperately first. Since I do not yet have again V 0.25 and have V 0.24 without and V 0.26 with Editor, what is the earliest release of RTCEditor?

Should you find or create an improved version, please let me know.

Do you allow to release the text sourcefile publicly?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Looks like I did in fact code it by hand, you're right there's no editor with v0.24. It's coming back to me now -- yes, I vaguely remember hand coding it. v0.26 was the first one with the editor.

Sure, you can release the source. As noted though, the one above doesn't seem right (I've removed it for now). I'll tidy it up and release 2 versions: the cleaned up 0.24 version, and a version that works with 0.49. Probably some time over the next couple of weeks. Remind me! ;-)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Cool! I'll add the text file you provided for now and update it later when you made it fully compatible with V0.49

I wish you would have to make it V0.50-compatible one day.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Interestingly, RTC V0.23 and V0.22 will also load the Kid's Dungeon properly, while RTC V0.21 won't.

Normally that'd mean it was created in V0.22, not in V0.24, but I'm not sure about that for pre-RTCEditor manually created dungeons.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Does v0.24 have a bug itself?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Do you mean RTC or my dungeon? I didn't test it in 0.24 again, but a quick play in 0.49 shows there's an extra corridor at the beginning which shouldn't be there. And RTC 0.49 is playing the wrong sound effect for Clicks, seems to be playing the Bow sound.

I had a very quick look at the 0.24 Kid TXT file in the 0.49 editor and there's a ton of stuff that the editor doesn't convert to the new version (bitmap portraits, etc.) Easy to fix up though.
Lunever wrote:Normally that'd mean it was created in V0.22, not in V0.24.
Not necessarily. Some early versions of RTC were just bug-fixes to the engine and the file format didn't change between versions.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I hope I am correct if I think that versions with RTCEd (V0.26 or later) will only show a dungeon, if it's not of a later engine build?
For currently testing which RTC.exe version is the earliest one that will show the dungeon is my main means to determine the version used for the dungeon.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No idea I'm afraid. You'd have to ask George.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Since my xmas greetings from 2008 for George are still in my pm outbox ...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

GG does visit from time to time, but doesn't post anymore. I'm aware that my comment to contact him wasn't helpful ;-)

I quickly opened a v0.35 dungeon in the v0.30 editor and it just crashes so you might well be correct.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

That's what I meant - if he was still visiting, shouldn't the pm not stick in the outbox anymore, but instead go to sent messages?

Regarding the dungeon - since I don't have a lot of text sourcefiles, I only checked, whether the RTC.exe would accept a *.RTC, I haven't checked what *.txt are accepted by different RTCEd versions.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If he didn't read it, it will still be in the outbox. Might not have noticed he had any PMs. Also, I think when Christophe upgraded to phpBB3, unopened PMs may have been automatically deleted.