YADC (yet another dungeon clone)

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Strangely
Novice

YADC (yet another dungeon clone)

Post by Strangely »

I'm writing a 3D clone. Been at it for quite a while now. It's 3D using DirectX 9.0. It's in the early stages now but it's coming along nicely.
I've got a development diary if anyone wants to see it progress. Also, as I get further along I'll need help with graphics and meshes. I'm crap at these, as you can see from my screen shots. If anyone has too much time on their hands and wants to help, let me know.

http://www.redmooninc.com/Dungeon/Main.html

Update : Website with sceen shots is back again. Unfortunately I have a dynamic IP address so it goes down occasionally until the IP directory stuff gets back in sync.

Michael Stone
Last edited by Strangely on Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi there. Looks very interesting! At this stage I have only one comment: please save your screenshots as compressed JPGs -- those PNGs are nearly 1 MB each! I have broadband and they take ages to load; I feel sorry for 56K modem users.

Equivalent JPGs shouldn't be more than 100Kb or so.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gambit: Odd, i thought the point of the png's were they could be ultra small too...maybe needs less colour depth?

Strangely: Nice to see you managed to post your work here, hope it continues!
Strangely
Novice

New Images

Post by Strangely »

jpg is the same size. I decreased the color depth. Should be faster now.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Beowuuf: PNG is a lossless compression, so it won't compress as well as JPG.

Strangely: better, but still huge! :) I took a test sample and compressed to a JPG and got it down to 120KB. Any chance you can save this as JPGs instead? This isn't a dig at you, but as a professionmal web designer I really do get a bee in my bonnet about unoptimised images on the web!

Anyway, that aside, your project is looking good and if you continue development, could be a contender as a great DM clone. Keep up the good work! :)
Strangely
Novice

New Images (again)

Post by Strangely »

You're absolutely right. I was looking at the wrong number in PSP after saving to .jpg :oops:
Should be better now.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Broken link?

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

The abovementioned link does not seem to work anymore - my fault or did you remove it ?

Regards, PitD