DM Neverwinter Nights Module

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
-FoxBat
Neophyte

DM Neverwinter Nights Module

Post by -FoxBat »

Maybe some people here remember that game, Neverwinter Nights... the one that lets players build their own adventures pretty much easier than anything else out there.

I've been working on a module for NWN which is fairly close to the original Dungeon Master. The map, monsters, puzzles etc. are similar, although I have taken liberties to try and add some new things or change things a bit. Partly to accomodate engine/multiplayer limitations, partly to match NWN players expecations, partly just to explore being a bit creative. When we have incredibly accurate clones like RTC there's really no point in trying to be too faithful to the original. :roll: Most importantly though, I'm trying to retain the feel of dungeon master; having to survive in a dark, claustrophobic, and creepy dungeon while being taunted by Lord Chaos' twisted traps and monsters.

Anyway, there's also a new expansion out, Hordes of the Underdark, which includes some nice new monsters, classes, feats, etc. Although there is nothing there that is essential, I'd like to use this expansion for building my DM Module. Trouble is, this would mean people wanting to play the module would need to own the Hordes expansion.

While I don't mind limiting my NWN fanatics selection to expansion-only people, I am more concerned about the die-hard Dungeon Master fans. Perhaps many of you bought the original NWN, played it for a while, got bored and shelved it, and never picked up either expansion. The promise of a DM module might make you blow off the dust and play it for a bit, but probably not go out there and spend bucks on an expansion. (Although Hordes' campaign is so many light years *better* than NWNs...) And I would hate to deny this opportunity to many DM fans.

As far as I can tell these are the only major DM message boards left, so likely this is the the only way a DM fan who owns NWN, but got bored of it, could find out about the module. So I'm just looking for a raise of hands of people who own NWN and would be interested in playing a DM module, but do not own the expansion HotU. (But if anyone's interested, I also don't mind collaborating with other people on this project. ;) )
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I would :) :) :)
Regards,

Andy
-FoxBat
Neophyte

Post by -FoxBat »

Well there's one vote. Egads doing it without expansion will be a bit of a pain, no weapon master -katana for Iaido... :P

However there's something I forgot to mention. NWN patch 1.61 is a whopping 30 megs, to fit in all the stuff like robes, skies, etc. That's another barrier to someone dusting off their old NWN copy to give this module a run, especially if they be on dialup. (And I won't be writing for older versions.) So when you speaks up, keep that issue in mind...
Tymaul
Novice

Post by Tymaul »

Wow, i was thinking about doing that for ages, you have my vote i just got nwn : hotu for xmas - nwn is great.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Im on broadband here, so no probs for me :)

Happy new year everyone.
Regards,

Andy
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

And a new picture ;o) Tired of the dragon?

Regards PitD
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I thought the new ninja needed a bit of air time so switched for a bit :)
Regards,

Andy
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Hmm not a bad idea..I would try this soon..not now though due to my computer not having enough power to run the NWN expansion at all(The original runs poorly as it is). I'll be geting a new computer anyways so it won't be a big deal.
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.