New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DSE
Lo Master

Re: New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Post by DSE »

I think the only major change is you now *need* a shader model 3 gfx card. The video posted has actually removed (through compression) one of my favourite new features which is loads of little particles (500,000 ish) in the air. Hopefully plugging in the rest of the 'old' code wont take long and I can get a new demo out. It looks really nice in the 'flesh'.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Lovely new demo, I'm really digging the wall textures now, incredibly atmospheric. My current PC definitely won't play this, so I really will need to upgrade.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks all. I have been working on my 3d skills (due to the lack of artists available) and the levels should now be much more varied and interesting. I have also managed to import directly from my 3d art program into my game engine which is cool. So basically what you see in Max you see in the game. Just need to finish the import to work out what object are physics items and game items (like keys, etc).
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I had many ideas and artwork started for a pirate level.. (speaking of pirate, I'll send him to you via email soon.. I keep forgetting) and have gained extra days to work on free projects, however, you got busy and I wasn't sure if you would have time to get back to it.. so when I got a chance to work on the project I'm now working on came up. I took it. I also had some concerns regarding the 90 degree turn thing with the visuals I was trying to create.. I felt as though most of it would be missed. Though it looks like you are going with free movement?
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

I guess fee movement is only for testing the 3D engine. AFAIK the game will be 90° turns and step movements.
Don't let a closed door stop you
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

very beautiful video am I to impress for when new demonstrations playable???
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Not sure when the demo will come out. I am honestly working on the game every night for about 6 hours and thats after doing a full days work. I still need to add in some extra bits and pieces and then I might release what I have just so you can have a play. We will see ..... keep tuned.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

DSE wrote:I am honestly working on the game every night for about 6 hours and thats after doing a full days work.
Don't burn yourself out! :shock:
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

I know. I do need to take a break at some point. Doing everything is a little mental. Thanks for your concern.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Another little video posted.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

WOW! :shock:
Those particles look freakin AWESOME!

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks, I have added wind and more swirling to the effect now so it looks even better. Just need to finish the level now and get the physics working and the rest of the game plugged in. The new demo will just be one level, but I have a fair bit of work to do before release.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Good luck. I'm working on writing my own OpenGL engine... but I'm still using textureless walls, so your videos look brilliant. In all honesty, I could probably use some guidance from you, Entombed looks completely outstanding.

But, at least I've got a good goal to aim at! :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

More than happy to help a fellow coder. If you need any tips or advice just ask.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

I is very to impress by this video, it is the very beautiful one works, especially not to give up not your plays go until the end DSE
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

I will try my best :O)
Warloch
Neophyte

Post by Warloch »

Great work and great engine. What 3d-modelling software are you using? Those models are really professional and well made.
Could I help you with models? Right now I'm using Realsoft3d which supports obj,3ds and quake model formats.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Hello Warloch, glad you like it :O) I use max 8 but I can import and use nearly any model type as I have an excellent import/export utility. What models would you like to make ?

Its going to take a little longer before anything new comes out. I am currently working on portal rendering to speed the engine up, its hard work to get it working well. I will post back when I get further ....
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Listen to Sophia - relax. I need to update my system anyways - I can't even see the video. :(
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Its alright, I enjoy it :O)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

[BEGIN RANT]
I agree with Sophia and Bit... you need to slow down a bit (gotta give me a chance to catch up :P). Seriously though, it'll eat up your life if you don't give yourself room to breathe. For I while there, when I first started my engine, I was sleeping/eating/breathing my game... in the end, it took a couple of friends ganging up on me to "snap me out of it".

Just remember, at the end of the day, it's still only a game. It can't be the center of your world.
[END RANT]

Now, back to the REAL topic:
1) Entombed rocks.
2) It's only getting better.
End of story :P

@Warloch: Welcome to the forums. Don't be a stranger.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

sight the videos I think that the clone of entombed will be the most beautiful Dungeon master in 3D!!!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

just discovered I can export to collada format with animation intact. (as related to my other project I'm working on) so looks like the pirate will move indeed. I've wanted to give him a sword before giving him up as well, but didn't yet find the time to do it. Perhaps today, if it's not too busy at work.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

cool. here is a list of the supported file formats I can import. collada isnt one of them unfortunately -

http://www.okino.com/conv/filefrmt_3dimport.htm
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

off to bed now. so will read any further posts in the morning. cheers.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

sleep? you mean that non-maskable interrupt no one can explain?
*sweet dreams* ;)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was certain I had his coat fully done, but it appears it was not.. so I'll need to redo that.. I got his hair in and his bones done today inbetween class stuff. Have to work on my other project as well, but since we're still settling on a format that I don't need to write, I have some time :D
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Fantastic. I'd like to see more of the physical and mechanical part of the game.
Could you make a demo with unorthogonal walls, round walls, stairs, ramps, windows, doors, levers, pits, teleporters, switches?
Could you show the party falling, jumping, climbing, running vs walking? Can the party be knocked and fall to the ground?
Could you zoom on the wall? Could you show an example of a tiny switch? Of an opening wall?
Have you tried an outdoor setting like a snowing day?

Have you started an editor?
Will there be 4 heroes of just one at a time?
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

errmmmm, Zyx do you have any other questions, crickey !! The original demo had - doors, levers, pits, teleporters, etc. The game is going to be a flick screen like the original dm (the free motion is just for testing the engine) so the world will need to be fairly cube based, apart from that you can have any structures you like.
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

hiho. jumping in to say that the videos look very promising and i'm glad that you will do the step-movement. highly anticipating a demo ;-) to satisfy my nostalgia feelings.