New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Crash.
Adept

Re: New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Post by Crash. »

Maybe if you can tell me where you are hitting, I can look for some other places. There are probably some game development specific forums where people do creature work. Games like Oblivion and Fallout3 have modders that convert or create hundreds of creature models, and perhaps one of these people is a good fit for your project.

Cheers!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you know if you make an elabourate enough engine with enough freedom (after all it looks as though you have a lot already) you can do as others before have done and just present the engine for cash. Keep the ammount low and those eager enough for high quality will join you.. if you look at ogre, it's main advantage is it's large importer base and that fact it's free.. but when it comes down to it I don't see a lot of high level graphics because it's missing a lot of that DX functionality that entombed has. this may attract a number of people to it and also help lead you to a team.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

thanks for the posts guys, lots to think about :O)

Just to keep anyone interested in the loop - I have been in contact with an artist and its looking promising that he can create and animate the creatures for me for a sensible amount of money, fingers crossed this time :O)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Take care.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

My art is coming on now so I am making progress. Just looking for an animator now ....

A new website and some news for you guys, enjoy - http://www.entombed.co.uk
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Hey, great that you found your enthusiasm again.
The Troll is just great - too lovely to be slaughtered. Isn't he just lonely?
Give him a puppet to play with - and he'll help you in another situation.
You don't need that much blood ;)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks very much. It wasnt really a loss of enthusiam, more trouble getting the right people together. This time I have done all the modelling myself so basically I have spent the last few months trying to learn digital sculpting and then creating a pipeline to go from the 1000000+ polys of a sculp to a game engine. These things take time when you have kids and a demanding job.

Thanks again for your comments.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

after the legend of grimrock, I wait entombed with great anticipation and above all not to abandon the project I support you all the way and a big thank you for putting a day on your site that is beautiful ;)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks Raf. I will do my best.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I do have Visual Studio 10.0 (Express). But XNA will not install. Is the phone development system a must?
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

XNA 4 is all the platforms in one. Its great. So you can do phone, xbox and pc development in one, they are just different project types. Why wont it install what error or problem are you hitting ?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

When installing, it checks the system for necessary components, then says that it misses the phone platform SDK, Visual Studio 10.0 or C# 10.0 Express.
Now I'm in doubt if it needs the complete VS 10.0, but I got this as Express-Edition only too. I'll try to install C#.
This XNA really looks interesting, And perhaps I can help the one or other way then.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

The latest installer does it all for you. You don't need the express edition installed as it has its own dev environment. Its called something confusing like windows phone edition or something. Can't check as im out at the moment. Cheers.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Silly thing that. XNA installer asks the components mentioned and stops at that point until one is installed.
That Phone Studio SDK then installs from 510 MB and refuses in the end the XNA-parts, because XNA is missing.
But then you can continue with the XNA installer, and then 'repair' the phone studio sdk with another 490 MB downloading (when probably needing just the last MB...).
And then...
One finds out that it won't work with C++ at all - it's C# only.
That's where I say, I'm out at the moment too...

I think I should apply as nanny for kids of programmers with better nerves.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

The installer I used did it all for me in about 3 mins. Its vb and c# xna 4. I will look for the installer link that I used.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Probably it worked for you that fast because you either had C# or VB installed - but I don't have those and expected it to work with C++ too. And now that it not does, it's not a theme for me anymore. That shouldn't affect your work in any way!
My interests would go into that direction: searching for way to provide (maybe even unconventional) algorithms to help to create the needed models, or scripts. And that surely can be done by external programs (in C++). So, don't even think about the problem anymore.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

"That shouldn't affect your work in any way!"

it wont dont worry :O)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

cool to hear news DSE! I will check regularly on updates ;)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks. I am in talks with 3 animators at the moment, but they aint cheap. Thinking of doing a www.kickstarter.com project to try and get funding in. It becomes serious though at that point so still thinking about it ....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Kickstarter is a great option. But I think you should wait and see what the success of Grimrock is before ramping up on Entombed. It's possible (although I think unlikely) that the market may not actually warm to Grimrock and the old scholl dungeon crawling vibe. If so, and your intention is to go down the same route, it may not work out well for you.

So perhaps a more up-to-date approach with a full 3D interface and movement would work better... who knows? I couldn't say either way, so perhaps wait on the success of Grimrock ;-)

That said, whatever you decide, I think your latest screenies are looking awesome. Very nice work indeed :-D
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

yeah maybe. it will take that long to get the art assets sorted anyway. I just think with the hobbit film coming out and the success of Skyrim that there is room for another ... we shall see.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, I didn't mean don't do it at all! I just was talking about the DM style movement. It may not work for a modern audience -- in which case you may want a free 3D movement instead.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Those bones are slowly getting old... :P
Perhaps do a view on entombed again, Gambit - it is and was ever free 3D-movement.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

I have done both styles, this is true. I will be doing dm movement soon and will post a video. I am mucking about with doors and pits atm. Should have some animations for the troll coming through soon. Just sorted an animator =)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I can't tell what's what any more... think I'm getting old! ;-)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Then you're in an ideal state to become a successful politicican in our parliament.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Or any Parliament! :-)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Hello, back to topic:

Some questions since I wondered and thought about it:
-1-
any existing GUI (user interface) or plans?

-2-
Controls ? 3d-free look vs. block move& conflict with managing 4 party members
first: what should the player be able to do; then how .
What is most important
what options are always needed,

for fluent play critical actions(like attack, switch items /attack as well as select action or champion) must be easily accessible
(dm has 3 actions per champion plus spellcasting and the viewport interaction itself)
(doom has 1234 for weapon, no inventory, really, and automatic use of doors(blue key opens blue door in reach)

-3-
name entombed final? (already 2 games named entombed, one from Year 1980)

-4-
what should the game be like- gameplay and feel and pacing of the action / ! very important choice for all the other issues..
(sorry if I do not know: more like doom or more like dm? do you dare to venture somewhere special and modern? ;) )

-5-
format of dungeon view... 16:9 ?
How large is the dungeon view area - full screen?/related to GUI

-5.1-
Is the wall size and proportions of floorwidth to wallheight final? does rule of thirds make sense? related to format

-6-
what movement type do you aim for? Would like to see the new video with dm-movement
(old video of dm-style : moves bit too jaggy, tweak smoothness with added motion blur?/
maybe standard view should always be shifting a little(head moves, feet shift: no rigid look straight forward-camera)
do your animator(s) have suggestions on that matter, per chance?

-->creatures need to be similar or apt to party movement. 3d is fine- block mode is also fine. It just has to match

--------------------------------------
last thing:
In the meantime for testing purposes,
until there are fully fledged animations ready, you could use standard primitives, like a box , as creature substitute.
seems a bit ridiculous, I know.
the box would rotate y-axis 90 degrees (or just shift) when moving forward one square
(if you use squares with dungeon grid, but you get the idea)
use these boxes in different sizes for:
bats, dragon, land leeches, spiders, gang of little goblins, gelatinous cubes(that actually makes a bit of sense ^^)...
you know, there are 3 types of creature sizes in dm: full square(dragon) & half square .long(double hell hound)& single 1/4th of a square(screamer/vexirk)

probably should be easy enough to animate.

you could I guess then try estimate -if you get time for it-
movement, combat and different creature sizes and proportions.

thanks.
mayhemsm
Neophyte

Post by mayhemsm »

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It certainly looks that way :-(