Not another Dungeon Clone

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Strangely
Novice

Not another Dungeon Clone

Post by Strangely »

My program has gone through a metamorphosis. Well, more like a slash-and-burn.
Check out the latest.
http://www.icapitalist.net/dungeon/default.html
Please note, only click on the images if you are patient as they are rather large (simple screen capture at 1152x864)

As you can see, it's not going to look much like Dungeon Master. I am going for the feel, rather than the look. This means, no arbitrary character restrictions such as class, etc. Similar magic system. Well paced with smooth learning curve. That sort of thing...
Last edited by Strangely on Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

"Well paced with smooth learning curve" : can you explain more precisely ? with simple words for poor english talking person :oops:

les français sont nuls en anglais, c'est bien connu :P
Strangely
Novice

Explanation

Post by Strangely »

linflas wrote:"Well paced with smooth learning curve" : can you explain more precisely ? with simple words for poor english talking person
I've always thought the pace and learning curve of DM were the best of any game I've played. It took you by the hand at the begining and introduced you to each new concept before sending you off to figure out harder stuff.
The pace was very nicely done. You went from a single mummy to a room full of worms at just the right time. By the time you got there, you knew what to do and could (usually) survive.
It progressed from scene to scene in a tightly controlled way almost like a good movie. Most games these days just have a huge environment and let you wander. Impressive from a technology point of view, but it can be boring to play and doesn't allow story development in a controlled manner. I think that's one of the reasons story doesn't seem to be a big part of role-playing games now. It's just the tired old "you are the chosen one, evil has risen, find magic item X, kill the dark lord before his army sweeps across the land". It gets a bit old the by hundredth time. Anyway, I digress...

I hope my explanation of pace/learning curve helped.
gobleteer
Apprentice

Post by gobleteer »

Well, personally I don't LIKE being led by the nose on story lines(which is why I liked #2 better)
Sar Master - 1%
G! d- s:- a15>? c++++(+) UL-@ P>++ L+ E? W+++$
!N>++ o? K- W-(+++) O? M?>+ V? PS++ PEY? PGP?
T+++() 5-->? X- R+++ tvb++++ DI@ D? G++ e->* h! !r !y(-)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: Explanation

Post by linflas »

Strangely wrote:I hope my explanation of pace/learning curve helped.
absolutely ! thanks.
of course i agree with you on that point about DM but i think all of the most famous games have tutorials and a progressive story (when there's a descent story of course) : if you are bored about 'evil has risen, etc...', don't forget that you have grown quite a lot since DM. you don't feel the same thing at 16 (DM) and 30 (errrmm.. Painkiller ;) ) !

(btw, painkiller is really a bad example, there's no tutorial and no story)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

The last game that really riveted me to my seat was Beyond Good and Evil. Before that it was System Shock 2. Before that I think it was Outcast. All three of these games are near perfect in my book. It's definitely hard to find a good compromise between fun gameplay and great story — very few people can do both at the same time. On the other hand, it makes the really good games look even better.
_