DM for NDS?

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
iggy
Neophyte

DM for NDS?

Post by iggy »

Hello!

Does any developer here already thought about porting the DM to Nintendo DS?

That will be amazing to play that game on the DS, will be very fun with the touch screen too.

Hope to see the port a day.

OXyGN wrote:I would like to confirm that the project DMDS is started since several weeks, and you can follow progress on the official website : http://dmds.sourceforge.net
- this is from one of the posts below, -b.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think Suule pondered porting DM to the DS, but so far, no real plans have been made as far as I know. So even if DM should ever come to the DS, it will still take quite some time.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Current plans: 1st of March - getting a DS, 1st of April - getting a memory card for DS

We'll see later. But those are only speculations. I can't really promise anything because porting the DM interface onto NDS would pose a real problem
iggy
Neophyte

Post by iggy »

Hello!

What kind of problem do you see with the interface?

DM code doesn't seems to big, and with sources available that will help with the logic I think.

I've no experience codding in C and for the DS, perhaps I've to learn C one day.

Does any of you know good tutorials and references sites?
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Interface: Well. The problem is squeezing 320x200 pixel view into 256x192 pixel view without loosing quality or having to resize the whole thing. Since we'll be using touchscreen for our main control we will have to put a viewport in the lower portion of the screen.

I can do a mockup of how I picture the interface on DS (but that's AFTER I get back from work).

As for DS code... meh. I wish it was THAT simple. CSB code is a junk. For me it'll be rewritting the same spagethi code over and over again, translating controls for DS.

I knopw few good sites, but I don't have the addresses here right now
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Problem solved :D
OXyGN
Neophyte

Post by OXyGN »

I would like to confirm that the project DMDS is started since several weeks, and you can follow progress on the official website : http://dmds.sourceforge.net
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Nice! I just got my DS 2 weeks ago, and I got a M3 Simply Micro SD card reader for it :)
I already got the SNES veersion of DM too.
OXyGN
Neophyte

Post by OXyGN »

First pre-alpha version available here > http://dmds.sourceforge.net

:wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hye, oxygn, I can move this to the clones forum and sticky it so if you like so it can get a bit more attention in the proper place

Also, if christophe already hasn't contacted you from the Enclyclopaedia, you could e-mail him links and details and he could put up a page there for it too!
OXyGN
Neophyte

Post by OXyGN »

beowuuf wrote:Hye, oxygn, I can move this to the clones forum and sticky it so if you like so it can get a bit more attention in the proper place

Also, if christophe already hasn't contacted you from the Enclyclopaedia, you could e-mail him links and details and he could put up a page there for it too!
Yes! Thanks to move it and sticky it ^^

Christophe already hasn't contacted me, I'll send a mail to him soon :)
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

ALready PAtched the Alpha version for R4/M3 Simply. I'll have a link up later if anyone needs it :)
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've always known what an amazing bunch the DM fans are, but to see a 20 year old game being ported to such a new hand-held console actually made me feel quite emotional! What a talented and devoted group of fans. I hope FTL still pay attention to this stuff -- they would be so proud of us!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:I hope FTL still pay attention to this stuff -- they would be so proud of us!
Either that, or cursing yet another appropriation of their intellectual property. :shock:

Ok, not really. But, that's why, as much as I love this game, I'm glad it's dead and buried to most people... no C&D letters flying. :)

Dungeon Master is dead! Long live Dungeon Master!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, I know for a fact that Doug Bell does not condone the writing of clones either from scratch or by using the original materials -- he'd rather people created their own work entirely, ie, something new.

But in the same breath, he's also quite pleased and proud that "the cult" as he puts it has been around for so long.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

But, uh... if it's from scratch, then it *is* something new!

Yeah.. that's that's the ticket... :? :roll:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You know what I mean! He's talking about clones being uninspired because they COPY no matter how clever the inner workings are -- he would prefer people made creative ORIGINAL works.
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

OXyGN,

I have downloaded your NDS clone and see that you have all the maps files done by me and christophe in it, even snes version and swoosh maps, etc, as available at http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html.
Can we speak together about the way you use it?
I am interested to see how your clone work on it and if the mapfile specification was useful or not, etc.

Regards.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

any news here? cause I don`t know if to buy NDS or not...
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

(wow! 1000 posts!) :shock: :shock: :shock:
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

OxyGn (translated from PlayerAdvance.org forum on Oct 18 2007) wrote:I confirm that the project is not abandoned in any way for the simple and good reason that for me (and not only for me) it is a dream to see DM running on DS, and we will do everything we can for that.
Knowing that the project is going to restart at the end of the year, I repeat my demand to strengthen our team, what will allow us to boost the project and lighten the task for those who had less time for it.
But there were no posts from people who wanted to join the project..
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

linflas wrote:
OxyGn (translated from PlayerAdvance.org forum on Oct 18 2007) wrote:I confirm that the project is not abandoned in any way for the simple and good reason that for me (and not only for me) it is a dream to see DM running on DS, and we will do everything we can for that.
Knowing that the project is going to restart at the end of the year, I repeat my demand to strengthen our team, what will allow us to boost the project and lighten the task for those who had less time for it.
But there were no posts from people who wanted to join the project..
Yeah I think it's Vaporware now.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Gambit wrote:
Well, I know for a fact that Doug Bell does not condone the writing of clones either from scratch or by using the original materials -- he'd rather people created their own work entirely, ie, something new.
that would require a giantic work, which was already done by FTL. One person wouldn`t do the entirely new game alone (graphics stuff, coding, music, etc.). The whole company would. But the company would do it for money. And in XXIc this genre (flip3D dungeon maze games) is dead, so nobody would buy it. People eventually prefers modern 3D shooters, not old flip3D dungeon crawlers like DM. There are just the fans, who makes new dungeon for fun/for others.. for the love of Dungeon Master.
But DM/CSB was first (and best) game in its genre; there were other DM-like games with better graphics made later, EOB for example, but they were never as good as DM.. They had better graphics, but they were worst. I`ve never seen anything better made than DM: 1987, one disc, so much stuff, the climate, a lot of original ideas..... not everyone is a genius of programming like FTL.
I wonder what would Doug Bell say about Conflux? It`s not a clone in a strict meaning (original DM/CSB engine), but the game is absolutely different; I mean Paul Stevens and Zyx had put a giant work to warp up the old engine, to create something new.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Adamo wrote:And in XXIc this genre (flip3D dungeon maze games) is dead, so nobody would buy it. People eventually prefers modern 3D shooters, not old flip3D dungeon crawlers like DM.
This not completely true, especially on handhelds scene.

"Orcs and Elves" is a true 3D dungeon with 2D sprites like original Doom (btw, it IS made by ID software), but you make 90 degrees turns, like in DM ! And it has been a hit on cellphones.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=TFU5x0UHzNw

"Deep Labyrinth" has a nice magic system where you have to draw the spell with the pen. And you have to blow to complete some puzzles ! :)
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=yfvDO9Q07Dw
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woah, that game looks cool :D. Deep Labyrinth I mean - I watched that trailer 'cause the description you gave made it sound like Zelda (Phantom Hourglass, on the DS...which I still haven't finished due to being on my comp at every available opportunity, dammit!). Damn you, now I'm gonna have to look into further info on that game 'cause it looks so cool :D.
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ermmm... sorry for that :)
anyway this game is not that perfect, mostly because of the story and quite boring environments.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Adamo wrote
I wonder what would Doug Bell say about Conflux?
I really wonder if he saw this custom..?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

This really ought to be in "Other Games Like DM," but I'm appending to what Linflas wrote. Here are a couple working "Orcs & Elves" links:

Trailer (1:06)

GameTrailers Review (5:18)

It does look pretty sweet to me, though I'm unlikely to ever play it. Not a big console/handheld fan.
spajdr
Neophyte

Post by spajdr »

bump, any news on Dungeon Master for DS? :)