Currently Unnamed DM Clone

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Currently Unnamed DM Clone

Post by beowuuf »

Chaos Forge sounds familiar, has it been used before or have you just suggested it before? Good name. Plunder the Netherworld sounds fun for a game. The Treasures of Chaos?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Chaos Master?

(Hey, my clone is called "Dungeon Strikes Back," so what do you expect from me? There's only one combination left using the existing title screen assets...)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Theron's Chaos Dungeon Nexus Quest ? (TCDNQ)?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Beo: This might be why "Chaos Forge" sounds familiar. There's also a band named "Chaos Forge"... There's also a Photoshop Plugin called that too.
However, I didn't find any software actually called "Chaos Forge" so it might still be a valid solution.

@Sophia: "Chaos Master" doesn't quite sit right :(
Sophia wrote:Hey, my clone is called "Dungeon Strikes Back," so what do you expect from me?
LOL to that! :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Dungeon Tycoon?

Dungeon (Master) Re-mastered?

Dungeon Caster?

(oh no, my brain hurts, I can't think of anything - creating a game really looks easier than naming it...)

But I still don't understand if you're developing an engine or a game - as Gambit said, naming a game would really very much depend on the story.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How about "Chaos in my Nethergroin"?

On second thoughts maybe I haven't had enough sleep recently...
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

My current goal is to create an engine capable of loading RTC dungeon *.TXT files, and displaying the dungeon in OpenGL 3D. So any custom dungeon for RTC should be capable of loading (still deciding on how to handle certain things, like wallsets, etc).
I plan on releasing it with the same dungeons RTC did (without the example dungeons... or I may have my own examples), and like RTC, I plan on having one specific dungeon of my own design (that will be like it's a different game). When a dungeon is loaded into the editor, it is converted into my engine's format that will allow for more complex mechanics... like there's no 8 target limit per object, you can have as many as you like... and you can have additional conditions on relays.
When the dungeon is saved, it is compiled into an encoded file (still deciding on an extension... it'd help if I had a name to base it on :P)

And it's DEFINATELY far easier to create a game/engine than it is to give it a decent name.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Now THAT is something I would be very interested in! RTCs editor is still the most user-friendly to my way of thinking, but I'm increasingly turned off by the game's old-school visuals (and obviously the fact it's no longer updated). Use of the RTC edtior to build dungeons for your better rendering engine would be a great way of getting people to use your clone.

So what sort of engine are talking about -- something along the lines of Grimrock where all environment stuff must be built in 3D? Or will it use 2D sprites and simple flat texture mapped walls?

I recently played an updated version of Duke Nukem 3D, that classic simple 2.5D game from '96. It can now use a new renderer called Polymer, which does very nice things with higher-res textures, normal & spec mapped walls, fancy lighting and per pixel shading, dynamic shadows etc and allows MD3 models to replace sprites. The game engine is still basic 2.5 with flat textured walls but this renderer certainly adds a lot to the visuals and the normal mapping really adds great depth. I thought it was cool and wonder where your engine figures in the scope of 2D, 2.5D, 3D etc....?

EdUke32 - first pic is old game, second pic the new renderer with high-resr normal mapped textures.
ImageImage
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Lord_BoNes wrote:And it's DEFINATELY far easier to create a game/engine than it is to give it a decent name.
I thought it was all about priorities ;)
But hey, take it easy on the namecalling. As long as your engine isn't finisihed you have a lot of time to think about it..
Once you have choosen a name you would have to stick with it, so you better like it ;)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Gambit: I know about EDuke and JFDuke... I'm a decent fan of the old-school favourites (like Duke3D, Quake, etc).
Where my engine is concerned, I plan on having it use simple flat walls. Then adding support for fancy features like normal mapping & shadow casting later on in development... this is so that low-end PCs could be capable of running it with the features turned off (not-so-fancy looking). When it comes to objects, I plan on having support for both simple 2D sprites and 3D models (much like what they did with the polymost engine for Duke3D).
So the user could have things looking REALLY simple (running at 200 fps) or they could switch the cool features on (and have it run at 60 fps).

@Rasmus: How long did it take you to come up with "Dungeon Master Tribute"?

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Hehe, waaaay too little time ;)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I've always thought that "Dungeon Master Tribute" was kind of "interim" name before you make up something else? :oops:

Poor Bones. No name, no fun. What about "Dungeon Lord"? It's helplessly un-innovative, but sounds good (well, at least to my non-native ears...).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

that seems cool, since it's DM and LB combined!

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Dungeon Lord: Bones of Chaos. cause it combines all the names plus creator name, but also it's building the dungeon so you are its lord, and also you get to see under the hood. Or maybe the game is Bones of Chaos, and the editor is Dungeon Lord :) Or vice versa! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand BOC / BoC hasn't been used yet as an acryonym!

linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

since it will be based on RTC format and editor, why not name it RTC 2 ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Another reason Bones of Chaos works!

Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Jan wrote:I've always thought that "Dungeon Master Tribute" was kind of "interim" name before you make up something else? :oops:
Now I am insulted ;)
Hehe, well that may have been the plan at first.. But as it took longer and longer time I sort of got used to the name, and I didn't wan't to confuse anyone a year later by suddenly calling it something else..
It is like when I named my fat cat. Gave it a name I first liked, then didn't like, and now when I am used to it, it is just perfect ;)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I must admit that "Dungeon Lord: Bones of Chaos" works. And it even has my name in there! WooT!

@Linflas: As I said above, it will be based on RTC. However, there will be some slight differences...
And you still have to convert the dungeon to my format (so it can do things that RTC can't), which means that you (the users) will have to use MY editor (you'll just be able to import an RTC dungeon, and have it work like it does in RTC). I plan on having my editor VERY similar to the one used for RTC, but there's going to be a crapload of extras. At some point, I'll also be taking suggestions for improvement (things we didn't like about the RTC editor... like the way it categorises tabs & lists) so you will all get to have a say in how things go.
On the other hand, you could still work entirely inside the RTC editor (without all the cool extras), and load/convert it whenever you want to test it... that's up to the user.
One thing about the editor... it's going to built into the game (only 1 *.EXE) so you'll be able to test out mechanics without having to load up another program (and it won't have to reload or compile the dungeon, because it's already loaded). When switching to in-game mode, I also plan on having it capable of jumping forward in game-time (in other words, if you have a mechanic that waits for 30 seconds before triggering... then you can jump forward 30 seconds, and have it trigger NOW). You could even have it "fast-forward" until a certain object fires (running at 5x, 10x, or even 100x normal time, until the object triggers) there'd just have to be a way to "flag" the said object.
linflas wrote:since it will be based on RTC format and editor, why not name it RTC 2 ?
And, sorry, but "RTC 2" just feels like I'm sorta stealing from George.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Whereas DL: BOC at worst sounds like 'download bones of chaos' so still works :D

Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

[YesPrimeMinister]

Have you played 'Bones of Chaos'?

Is that a computer game?

'Bones of Chaos'? What'd you think it was?

A dog food.

[/YesPrimeMinister] :wink:
Rasmus wrote:Now I am insulted ;)
Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. You know me, I talk too much... :wink:
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

And there's the happy <insert LOL here> moment from Jan :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The sequel, Dungeon Lord: Lossiemouth, will be available Spring 2014

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Apparently "Dungeon Lords" is an existing game... and a crappy buggy game to boot. Apparently, the game was rushed and released in a "virtually still a beta" stage.

I'll still consider the name though... the suggestion was "Dungeon Lord" not "Dungeon Lords"... so it still should be a valid suggestion.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Dungeons Lord, Dungeon's Lord, Dungeons' Lord, or 'Not the crappy buggy rushed Dungeon Lord Dungeon Lord.

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I still feel that "Dungeon Lord: Bones of Chaos" is different from "Dungeon Lords". And that's why I said I'd still consider the name. I must say that the more I say it, the more it seems to fit :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Glad we were finally able to help you :D

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I've posted a poll to see what peoples think about the title.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

beowuuf wrote:Glad we were finally able to help you :D
Yeah. After more than 3 years here and 1500+ posts I finally came with something almost constructive and partly useful - although it was obviously unintentionally plagiarised from a game that I've never heard of and as a result old good Bones might get sued and loose large sums of money and/or spend the rest of his life in a prison where he'll get regularly beaten and raped by his mates.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to advise on names....or something

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

chaos forge was my suggestion for AndyboyUK's RTC editor, which he accepted.. but later vanished before he finished the thing. It made sense to me as it was something being used to create. However, it's expected that others would think of that name as well.