Dungeon Master- 3D Remake

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
myjean17
Novice

Dungeon Master- 3D Remake

Post by myjean17 »

May 30th, 2010
Here is Build 3 of the DM3D remake. I apologize, since I only work on it a few times a week. Mostly what i've changed is the lights, added some mirrors, and finally found some textures that I really like. Tell me what you think about it!

Mac OS X Build: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nrol5m4o0 ... %20Mac.zip
Windows Build: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mzndnmimu ... %20Win.zip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 6th, 2010
I am going to continue to update my progress here, and so I present my next pre-alpha release:

Mac OS X and PC Builds: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4rynmhanc ... Mac-PC.zip

The only changes are the textures, a more realistic ground, and newer ambient lighting. Let me know what you think, I like critics!

I will finish modeling the entire game, then begin working on making the game functional. Also, I'm not exactly a great graphics artist, and i'm limited by the tools I have to do that, so if anybody would like to help with some 3d models of monsters, objects, items etc. having to do with the original DM, that'd be great!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,
haven't been on this forum for a while (maybe a year or so) though none of you will remember me, and I just decided to share with you my 5-minute project
If you like it, let me know and I will continue to work on it.

MAC BUILD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ghymyz1jzfg/DM3D.zip
WIN BUILD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/t3tkt4jd4qk/DM3D-Win.zip

P.S.: I also posted this in Informal Chat, but I thought it might get more replies here :)
Last edited by myjean17 on Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
myjean17
Novice

Re: Dungeon Master- 3D Remake

Post by myjean17 »

DELETED: Look farther down for updated screenshots.
Last edited by myjean17 on Thu May 06, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Looks cool! I made your thumbnails into links above -- for some reason they are are massive files despite only being 200 pixels wide -- each one is over 150Kb large and takes ages to load. Any chance you could upload the full size image in a compressed format such as JPG?
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

Thanks- I guess the image hosting website i used MASSIVELY resized them.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Looks really good! I love the fire, seems like you have a good hand with the particles!
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

Hehelp mello I have to download your demo but me is not made a success has to make her(it) walk you can
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

I have to play has your demo it is very done well to continue like that
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

Thanks, guys.

I see you like it, so I decided to continue it. I'm trying to fix the lighting now, and also work on the inventory, title screen, etc.
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

UPDATED: Check the first post above.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

Hello I makes you message to encourage has to continue your dungeon Master's 3d, I dream to see one days a dungeon 3d which one similar that the original of dungeon master I to continue to work deçu to abandon(give up) not
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

I am planning on completing this, and making it as much like the original DM as possible. I, once again, do need some good modelers that may perhaps give me some DM-related models (items, monsters etc.)
babebridou
Novice

Post by babebridou »

For what it's worth, this demo is a great start. Do you generate the level, or did you build the whole scene through the unity editor?
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I can suppliy you with 2D pictures of the 3D models that I use.. This will go for heroes and items.. I will create all the 3D models for the DM heroes and items within the next months.
You can check out the work I have done with DMT 1 if you want 3D objects for the monsters. They are not all that good looking but they can be a start. There are also a topic around here somewhere where they unpacked the 3D models from DM Nexus if that would be interesting..
About the 2D pictures for the heroes, I have a snapshot here so you can see how they will look like..
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36 ... roBars.jpg

Please let me know what you think..
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

Hello everyone.

I havent posted any updates yet, but have a newer version that is to be posted very soon.

And Rasmus, this looks very nice, and i could use those for a while. I am not exactly good with modeling, but i'm getting there. Thanks for the help.

And yes, this is all done in the Unity editor, using cubes as tiles and placing them 10 spaces apart from each other. The floor is a terrain and the ceiling is just one large cube.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

OK I waits for the new version of your clone :)
babebridou
Novice

Post by babebridou »

I'm still a beginner, but Unity is great. I don't know about you but I'd like to share tips if you agree.

I have zero level design experience, I'm more of a procedural freak (I like to generate the scene content at runtime). I notice you're using a terrain for the floor, does that mean you will build the dungeon "upwards"? Or do you have a nice little way to dig into the terrain? I think I remember there was a way using shaders...?
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

It's pretty simple, but takes some time to do. I used the terrain toolkit for the height map. The ceiling is just one plane, and the walls are arranged by hand in a grid system. Each wall is 10x10x1 units, and placed 10 units apart from each other.
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

UPDATED: Check the first post above.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

About your new release..
It looks very good, you have really succeded with the fire. And the model polygon detail seems to be very high.. Couldn't find a triangle on either the portcullis or the wallcandle.. If you can keep that up without it affecting the fps to much you may have something going there.
I have a little suggestion about the grindsystem, you say that you have made each wall 10x10 units, I think that it can be a little bit to much.. It takes to long time for the camera to move from one square to another, of course this can be fixed with higher walking speed.. But there are advantages in have a smaller grind system, floorobjects such as the slime I found in your latest version seems very lonely, even if you add 4 floorobjects (Top left, Top right, etc.) they will be to far appart from eachother.. This can be fixed by increasing the size of the objects, but then again it wouldn't look right..
This can be an easy fix if you only increase the height of the roof and set the camera higher up. Then the grindsystem x and z coords will look smaller.
But its only a suggestion ;)
I am not exactly good with modeling, but i'm getting there.
What program are you using when creating the models? I can give you some tips on how to make good looking models (in my point of view ;)) really fast if you are using 3ds max. And I also know about some 3d models generation programs that could help.

About the characters and the items, I still havn't sat down to create them all. Now I have 2 heroes done and about 7 items..
Here is a screenshoot of how the style will be.. I can still improve the lighning and the materials if you are interested..
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

Those do look pretty amazing Rasmus :)

The torches were just placeholders I grabbed from turbosquid, and i've recently updated it with real torches, which look pretty good.
I'm also playing with the player as you suggested and getting some better results with that.

Newer release will hopefully have a semi-completed HUD, an entrance to the dungeon outside, and more.
myjean17
Novice

Post by myjean17 »

Hello Everybody,
Sorry work on this is going really slow. I don't have that much time to work on it, but I am absolutely not going to abandon it. After monday, on the 14th, school is over for me so I'll have much more time. I'm putting it out there again that anybody who is interested in helping with this, and knows or can learn Unity, I will send the project folder to and you may help me as much as you can.

Stay tuned for more updates as soon as possible.