DUNGEON MASTER IN HD

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RAF68
Lo Master

DUNGEON MASTER IN HD

Post by RAF68 »

why noone make a DUNGEON MASTER in HD like it was done like other games "prince of persia hd " or " monkey island" ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: DUNGEON MASTER IN HD

Post by beowuuf »

Time. Interest. Benefit for the effort it would take.

It is discussed in other threads like http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=28677
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Personally, I didn't like these HD conversions of oldies. Especially ine the case of Monkey Island I think the old graphics was nicer (and funnier). I'm pretty satisfied with the old DM as it is. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have mixed feelings. I tried doing some hi-res stuff for DM a few years ago and it started to look quite good -- but it didn't feel like the original, even though the gameplay was unchanged. I've also done higher-res updates to other games, mainly Tomb Raider. On the one hand I love doing this stuff from a creative point of view -- it's something I really enjoy. But the other, it changes the games enough that they become something else. And of course, that means they aren't the original game that we all fell in love with.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

maybe going HD (full or half HD does not matter) kind of destroys the immersion and feel.
Creatures are less believable if you show them in photo quality if they move very clunky(90 degrees rotation) Imagine doom where the monsters would turn like in dm... would not be good looking.
another thing is, with HD you take away believablility. In horror movies, you seldom show the evil (except for later in the movie or when you have really good and top notch effects)
If you do not show "everything", the viewer gets to zap on her own imagination. That is the power of books and its something else for everyone. Slightly
So:super good effects tend to get old very fast. If you were to make dm into full HD, you would have to make gameplay changes
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I agree with zoom, but only to a certain point.. I think the dm feeling gets destroyed when really high quality textures comes into a game with 90 degrees turn and forward jumping enemys with 2 frame animations. But with a gameplay like DM2 where the creatures has multiple animationframes per action and somewhat free movement I think it would work beutiful :) I know that alot of people here didn't like dm2, but I must say that the improved graphic with its gameplay gave it a nice feeling.

I would like to compare RTC:s DM2 with the original DM2. RTC had the dm gameplay with the DM2 graphic, so we can say the rtc:s dm2 is a dm with improved graphic, maybe not higher res, but still.. This felt wrong to me! I don't know if it is because I am used to the dm2 animations, hmm.. So as I said, I would like to see higher res with the original DM2 gameplay, not as much with DM.. But this would also requier more work!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

This would require a dm2 clone!
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I guess :( But I just wanted to get my opinion in what enviorment I would like to see DM HD in out there..
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

yeah, and valid points. I agree with you ';)I