Dungeon Monsters

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sphenx
On Master

Dungeon Monsters

Post by Sphenx »

Did you know about "Dungeon Monsters" ?

A DM port to Atari 800XL (8bits), including chip musics ..

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct= ... 1284294046

There are two videos on the site.

It is in polish, I can't read it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Dungeon Monsters

Post by Gambit37 »

If you use Google Tranlsate, it makes a pretty good attempt at translation. Or visit the page using Google Chrome, and a translate option will be displayed at the top of the page.

Looks like an interesting piece of work. I don't know anything about the Atari 800, but a figure of 64Kb of RAM is mentioned in the article, so it seems an impressive undertaking!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

This is very interesting (and ambitious) project! From what I read so far, they want to make this game in a cartridge (this means practically no memory limitations). The game is on cartridge, so it would require nothing but a plain, 64kB Atari.
They are making home-made amateur cartridges - it`s not so hard to do ( http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?sub ... =wynalazki ).
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, wow, that's cool! I wish I could finally play DM ony my old good 800 XL! :) Although my only working cartridge slot is occupied by the Turbo (Basic) 2000 - I'll have to solve this somewhow first. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I would prefere the normal dm over this, to be honest
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Interesting.

I wonder how many times bigger the cartridge is going to be than one that could have realistically been made in the 80s when people actually used this computer. ;)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I will never quite understand why people are willing to invest so much time and work into a project for a practically non-existing audience. That said, it does look interesting, though it still misses any kind of decoration, even fountains or doors. Also, the mummy is too big. It sort of reminds me of the C64 conversion project (which seems to be dead, by the way).
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I will never quite understand why people are willing to invest so much time and work into a project for a practically non-existing audienc
I think that you and I and several other folks nearby should
hesitate to say such things. Perhaps there was missing ;-)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think I expressed myself badly. I was just trying to express my amazement over the amount of hard work people are willing to put into an old computer game with no financial interest, just out of pure love and passion for the game. A good amount of people on this forum fall under this category. All simple-minded people with no skill, ambition, or endurance to do something likes this (read: all the Trantors of this world) can really consider themselves lucky.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Once money and survival are out of the way, I expect people to do what they like. It's impressive how well the western world manages to keep most of the people into those two objectives though. My amazement is sort of opposite to yours!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Sophia wrote:I wonder how many times bigger the cartridge is going to be than one that could have realistically been made in the 80s when people actually used this computer. ;)
The biggest cartridge I've ever had for my 800XL had 128 KB if I remember it correctly (but I'm sure there were much bigger cartridges), and this Dungeon Monster one - as they say - is going to have 1 MB.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Well I think I do not kind of grasp the scope of this undertaking(not like in undertaking as in undertaker..digging graves and so on ;) )
Is there some form of comparison available. Maybe pocket calculators or how many lines of text you could fit in the 64bits?
after some thought, I get the notion that this is- taken the beaty-aspect away really not that bad. Quite the opposite direction of going with dm to 3d /opengl//nnewtech
So: I like :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Trantor wrote:All simple-minded people with no skill, ambition, or endurance to do something likes this (read: all the Trantors of this world)
Oh, stop making excuses and finish your dungeon already ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sophia wrote:
Trantor wrote:All simple-minded people with no skill, ambition, or endurance to do something likes this (read: all the Trantors of this world)
Oh, stop making excuses and finish your dungeon already ;)
+1 (staff of pokage)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Amazing project!
That must be love!
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Very impressive for an 8Bit project!