Everlasting Dungeons

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dennis512
Neophyte

Everlasting Dungeons

Post by dennis512 »

Hello,

I have just uploaded a nice Dungeon Master like open source role playing game to sourceforge. I have been working on this for almost two years and I getting to a point where it's starting to be playable and enjoyable.
I kind of need beta testers to tell me if it runs on other computers than mine.

Anyone dares to give it a try?

The installation is currently a little complicated, but I have written a quite detailed install.txt.

You can find it at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/everdungeons

Oh and you will need a decent gaming PC to run it.

greetings

Dennis

some screenshots:
http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/everdung ... /worms.png
http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/everdung ... /stuff.png
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Everlasting Dungeons

Post by Seriously Unserious »

First off, welcome to the forums! 8)

I took a look at the screen shots and it looks fine from that. The worms look a little boxy and should probably be redesigned to look more round but I realize it's still a work in progress so there's plenty of time to work on stuff like that.

I'd be happy to beta test your game, I can test it on 2 different computers, an older Win XP computer and a new Win 8 computer.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I second that welcome!

Downloaded it to my laptop, though I will need to unzip it on my main machine. Withan unlimited dungeon and crafting, sounds like DM meets minecraft then?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Welcome from me too! And count me in on testing it.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

After trying to start it up, I got a dependency error pop up, OpenAL32.dll (found it here). And the dependency on Octave is quite a drawback... :(

But on the plus side, I must say that it runs very nicely on my PC.
I have an Intel I-5 quad-core with 8gb of RAM... only 4gb "usable" to WinXP, but the other 4gb is allocated to 2 RAM disks (using "non-OS managed RAM")... a 2gb page-file (so I'm really using 6gb of RAM :P ), and 2gb for storage (including my C++ projects and the Windoze SDK... ever tried using a RAM disk instead of the HDD? Man, it is damn fast! It can turn a 30-40sec compile into a 2-6sec compile).
My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 9400GT, so that probably helps (my PC runs Unreal Tournament 3 at 1024x768 with every setting maxed out, and it still doesn't miss a beat... and I have a Minecraft Tekkit Server setup on my RAM disk, and it basically never drops under 100fps... she's a fair beast).

I didn't mind the graphics (the monsters look quite good), but the seams between the textures break the atmosphere, and the camera needs to be nudged back a bit (when you face a wall, it's right up against the camera)... getting used to the controls was also a bit tricky :P
Monsters also seem to be able to get right up in your face quite quickly, perhaps slow them down a bit?
I would like to suggest adding a health bar of some sort too (the transparent graphic that gets slowly more solid is a bit misleading).

All-in-all though, it is quite a good engine... keep up the great work!

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
dennis512
Neophyte

Post by dennis512 »

Thanks.

Good to here it runs at all.

What kind of dependency error? Does this mean an .dll is missing? How did you fixed it?

The textures are a bit buggy in the moment, that's on my to-do list. It's a little worse on Nvidia cards, since I mostly test on AMD.

Yes the control are a bit unusual, but they can be change via config files in 'EverlasingDungeons/m/input/'. Any suggestions for a more intuitive keyboard configuration?

The speed of the monsters is changes with the difficulty. The lower the difficulty and the monsters are slower. I think I will change the behaviour of the really fast monster a little in the future.

I am a big fans of HUD-less games so Everlasting Dungeons does only have minimal HUD elements, but an optional health bar should be easy.

Why is it misleading? The more damage you get to more blood you see on the screen.
dennis512
Neophyte

Post by dennis512 »

Thanks.

Good to here it runs at all.

What kind of dependency error? Does this mean an .dll is missing? How did you fixed it?

The textures are a bit buggy in the moment, that's on my to-do list. It's a little worse on Nvidia cards, since I mostly test on AMD.

Yes the control are a bit unusual, but they can be change via config files in 'EverlasingDungeons/m/input/'. Any suggestions for a more intuitive keyboard configuration?

The speed of the monsters is changes with the difficulty. The lower the difficulty and the monsters are slower. I think I will change the behaviour of the really fast monster a little in the future.

I am a big fans of HUD-less games so Everlasting Dungeons does only have minimal HUD elements, but an optional health bar should be easy.

Why is it misleading? The more damage you get to more blood you see on the screen.

Also: New Version with teleport items.