Down the Dungeon (for Android) (now v 1.5)

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
FireClown
Neophyte

Down the Dungeon (for Android) (now v 1.5)

Post by FireClown »

ImageImage
Down the Dungeon is a game I've worked on for quite some time now and now it have been released on Google Play.
Link to the full game:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... TheDungeon
Link to the free demo version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ungeonDemo
You can also check out:
http://www.downthedungeon.com

Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder was an inspiration for me and I've also got many ideas from roguelikes. Development was interesting and I had to make some hard design decisions to keep graphics within the 16mb texture memory limit for low end devices like numbers of monsters per level,how to draw the dungeon etc. Creating a game for the small screen size also is interesting design-wise.

Here is some game info:

. A party of 1-3 characters (Warrior,Rogue,Wizard). They get a chance to level up when reaching a new dungeon level or by killing special monsters.

. 11 levels of big 39x39 grid maps, all created randomly so no game is the same.

. 10+ types of monsters with 20+ different abilities,20+ types of items,9 spells.

. Rune memorizing system for wizards, but spells can also be cast from scrolls and wands.

. A hardcore mode with "party permadeath" but as long a at least one character is alive the others can be resurrected(almost true as some monsters can give a death curse that has to be removed before the character dies). There is also a softcore non permadeath mode for those who prefer a more normal game.

. A "diablo style" tap-based inventory with 9 slots to put items on a character and a backpack with 15 slots.

Here is a link to a short YouTube video:
http://youtu.be/sz68k65DLO4
And some more screenshots:
Last edited by FireClown on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireClown
Neophyte

Re: Down the Dungeon (for Android)

Post by FireClown »

I've updated the post above with links to the game. I hope as many as possible will try out the demo. Let me know if you spot any ingame errors. This is a huge game and any feedback is welcome.

Here are some gaming tips for those of you who try out the game:

- If you think the screen is too dark (many have their own display settings on Android) then tap the question mark and set your preferred color levels.

- You close and open inventory by double-tap on a character portrait, Switch characters by just a single click.

- To equip items while in the inventory just double-tap is the character hasn't equipped anything yet, otherwise first on an item and then were to put it.

- You control the actions of one character at a time but selecting another (see above) lets you controll another. When you
move the whole group tags along. The selected character step in front on the others and because of this also get targeted more often when a monster attacks.

- Easiest way to learn spells. Drop a scroll and tap on it once. Select the Wizard and point on the arrow pointing left on the bottom right. Select a spell slot (I II or III) and then just tap on the same runes you see on the scroll.

-To use weapons, scrolls, wands or potions just tap on them (while playing). You can drink potions while in the inventory too (tap on a potion and then on the big character portrait). Some items like throwing weapons auto-equip so that when you have used one another gets ready(as long as you have the item in your inventory).

- Tap on items in front of you to get a description of it or twice to pick them up (if possible).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I hope those with android devices check this out, it looks very imprressive! Also the spell system and interface seem solid.
FireClown
Neophyte

Post by FireClown »

Thank you.

Yes, I hope as many as possible will give the demo a try. It's always good to get some feedback.

The demo features 2 levels of the full game but the levels are big and surviving the 2 first level isn't easy. There are plenty if gaming just in the demo.

There is also possible to play with less than 3 characters (in the demo too), perhaps even with a single one..but that makes survival even more unlikely ;)

There is an interesting strategic angle to the game too. As monsters have various abilities one have to learn what to fight close up or what to try to take out from a distance or even avoid. This makes the game both more interesting and difficult.

For example the Worm has "CORROSION" as one of it's abilities. This ability damage weapons that hits the creature and after a few hits it might break. Equipped items might also take heavy damage when a worm hits a character. So it's best to try to avoid close combat with a worm or one might end up with a party who have to fight just with their fists ;) The various monster abilities that exist in the game is described on the homepage.

Here is a screenshot of a Worm about to attack:
FireClown
Neophyte

Post by FireClown »

Version 1.1 has been released.

Mainly some minor buggfixes but I've also made it so that every new game now starts in a tutorial mode. Experienced players can leave it right away. I hope this change will make it easy for new players to learn the basics of the game.
FireClown
Neophyte

Post by FireClown »

Version 1.2 released

Changes:
-Normal monsters has been nerfed so survival in early game gets easier.
-Adjusted the spawning of monsters slightly

So if someone tried the demo and found it really difficult to survive it's gets somewhat easier now and it's a bit more fun not having to restart too often ;)
FireClown
Neophyte

Re: Down the Dungeon (for Android) (now v 1.5)

Post by FireClown »

Version 1.5 released. The game now has both a hardcore(permadeath) and a softcore(non permadeath) mode.

A summery of the changes in versions 1.3 - 1.5:

Changes in version 1.5

- The game now has both a hardcore permadeath mode and a softcore non permadeath mode were you can restart at the latest save when the characters die.

Changes in version 1.4

- Diffuculty level for the first levels decreased

- Fixed bug in the spawning of traps code

- Changes in trap code. Traps on the floor in general gives more damage than in barrels.
Hitting a monster that stand on a trap might cause explosion that damage both the party and the monster.

Changes in version 1.3

- Mainly bugfixes and adjustment in moster spawning
FireClown
Neophyte

Re: Down the Dungeon (for Android) (now v 1.5)

Post by FireClown »

The full game is now on Christmas Sale :)
In the next release new types of monsters will be added.