An opensource clone in Unity.

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ernisius
Neophyte

An opensource clone in Unity.

Post by Ernisius »

Was wondering if there would be any interest in creating a DM type clone using the Unity engine.

It could be hosted on Github as an opensource project, so anyone could contribute.

Because of the plugin nature of Unity, it should be possible to create a base dungeon engine, then addons to emulate games such as Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Captive. etc,

Please respond if you would be interested or even better could contribute. graphics, 3d models, sounds, or programming.
.rhavin
Neophyte

Re: An opensource clone in Unity.

Post by .rhavin »

Are u still into this? This is exactly, what i'd like to have.
.rhavin
Neophyte

Post by .rhavin »

I can contribute (assets, code) and it is exaclty what i'm looking for. I'm completely new to unity, so you would have to set-up the absolute basics for that. I already did try this in Java3D and JMonkeyEngine, but the performance was not so great.

I also have some runes ready :

Image)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You should always be extremely wary of people who say they have an idea for a project but want other people to do most of the work.
Ernisius
Neophyte

Post by Ernisius »

So whenever anyone suggests an idea for a project, just assume they want other people to do all the work. Don't bother to enter a dialog with them to find out what they plan to bring to the project.

fyi, there was no interest in this so I abandoned the idea of collaboration but continued the project alone. I have done a number of projects in Unity, and as a DM fan of old thought it might be a nice project for a group of people to learn from each other.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm all for collaboration, group projects can be great fun! I just think your original post is ambiguous and you should have said more up front about what you'd bring to the project. As it stands, it does only sound like a speculative idea that asks for contributions. So forgive my reaction, but you could have got a better response with a more thoughtful proposal.
.rhavin
Neophyte

Post by .rhavin »

I can code in C++ and C# (and many other languages, but I think unity is C#), and im quite usefull in Photoshop/Blender to do textures. I also can do models in Blender, but im still new to 2.8

Last edited by .rhavin on Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

After two years, it's surprising that he received this late response.

Communication can always be difficult, especially when one must filter attitudes through a keyboard.
That being said, I hope .rhavin can find some real benefit here.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ernisius
Neophyte

Post by Ernisius »

Gambit37 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:40 pm I'm all for collaboration, group projects can be great fun! I just think your original post is ambiguous and you should have said more up front about what you'd bring to the project. As it stands, it does only sound like a speculative idea that asks for contributions. So forgive my reaction, but you could have got a better response with a more thoughtful proposal.
Ok, point taken. I am a Microsoft certified developer for C#, and have played with unity on and off for a few years. I have completed a few Unity courses on Udemy, GameInstitute and Gamedev.tv. I was the first to reverse engineer and write a program to extract the graphics from the original Dungeon Master. I released the C++ code open source and many have done great things to improve my code, but mine was the first.
I can't do graphics, I appear to haze zero artistic talent.
I have the skills to do this alone using the original dm graphics, but any game program requires a lot of time, and I don't have the time or the will to go it alone when there is so little interest.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

.rhavin wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:12 pm I can code in C++ and C# (and many other languages, but I think unity is C#), and im quite usefull in Photoshop/Blender to do textures. I also can do models in Blender, but im still new to 2.8

Good graphic. Reminds me of "The Doomsday Machine" (Star Trek TOS). Looks much better in the cleaned up version available on Blu Ray now. I'm a Star Trek fan, so I bought it in Blu Ray.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ernisius
Neophyte

Post by Ernisius »

.rhavin wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:12 pm I can code in C++ and C# (and many other languages, but I think unity is C#), and im quite usefull in Photoshop/Blender to do textures. I also can do models in Blender, but im still new to 2.8

You're graphics and runes look great, but I think there is too little interest for this project now. There are a few really good dungeon master type games already on Steam.
I did continue with this project a couple of years ago. It was 3D because that is easier to do in Unity than 2D, but still step type movement.
I also wrote a random dungeon generator similar to the game Captive, using this site for inspiration. http://captive.atari.org/Technical/MapG ... uction.php

I got to the point of moving around the Dungeon with placeholder graphics with doors and activators working . and AI for 4 different enemies that you could kill and they kill you, just guns, no spells. enemies were 3d animated robots from the unity asset store. Around half of the functionality, but still very far from being an actual game.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, I didn't realise your original post was two years ago! I thought it was recent. Interesting to hear about what you achieved nevertheless. Do you think you'd share any screenshots of what you'd achieved?
Ernisius
Neophyte

Post by Ernisius »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0nSqn ... sp=sharing

Sorry, couldn't get image upload to work, so that is a link it on google drive.

The graphics are just placeholder, but the image has a procedurally generated dungeon and an in game view.
It's been a long while since I looked at this.