Deep Cave

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

C#, ill post demo soon.
Mystic Unicorn - Deep cave developer
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

welcome back :D
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

thank u. I was always here, only sometimes not so close :))
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The Deep Cave web site is down:
http://deepcave.dnh.sk/

Is it permanent?
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

ChristopheF wrote:The Deep Cave web site is down:
http://deepcave.dnh.sk/

Is it permanent?
Yes it is permanent. I have only little time for deving.

If I ever consider to continue it will be on some existing project here. DSB looks pretty fine to me. So contribution in this way.
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Re: Deep Cave

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

Hi,

after years im back - again. I learned something and i think i can bring some changes to this topic.

I realised that DC must be released. That is the only way how to finish my dilema and clear my mind. I have a lot of stuff which is related to DM. So I think for a while and bring u this:

- My ambitions are not to compete with RTC, DSB, CSBWin. Those are great projects my approach is different.
- Level, experience and other dungeon behavior can be little different from classic.
- Wizard, priest, ninja, fighter do not have to be only major schools in game.
- Whole project will be open sourced and anybody can come with contributions. Actualy source code is available right now...
- I decided to work with C# as an easy and flexible language and XNA as an display engine
- reason for this is simple. It is easy to read the code, add new one.

FAQ:
Q: Why did u not improve DMJava?
A1: Architecture of this solution allow very low flexibility.
A2: I cannot code in java.

Q: Why did u not join any other project
A1: Honestly i do not believe that onyone would like to make that project opensourced. Maybe im wrong....
A2: Most of this oneman projects(maybe not here) have very bad architecture. As they become complex they become unmanageble.

Q: Why 2D not 3D?
A1: 3D is popular but it will consume huge amount of time. Create meshes, texture them. Sounds and other stuff. Simply too much for one person. Even for 10.
A2: Dungeon master has been created this way and my wish is to bring new approaches to old a nd good concept. For example rendered stuff simply violates this spirit of DM. DM gfx is pure pixelart. Every pixel matters. I like that approach and ill do my best in this way.

Q: What resources do u used?
A: I tried to use stuff which is freely available. Some gfx is created by me directly. On the other hand there can be something i was not able to contact author. I u are the autor of graphics that im using please contact me and i will ask you for your permission. Ill honor your work and Ill give u a credit or remove that gfx from game.

Q: Where is source? You said it is opensourced...
A: Ill publish svn adress here as soon as i finish basic stuff.
- dungeon rendering - PARTIALLY COMPLETE ( I want to finish wallitems, flooritems and doors rendering )
- effect system - COMPLETE ( this is something which allows me from dungeon definition control all aspects of gameplay )
- this includes: item actions, spell actions, ...
- sound - COMPLETE ( there is no problem with music and sound playing )
- game interface - NEARLY COMPLETE
- animations (torch and almost anything can be animated)
- effect notifications (hero can be affected by some effect. U can set a property which will allow to show notify icon while effect is active)
- i think project have good architecture which is important in opensource projects.

- I thing that there are some things which are not completed yet, however i thing that whole engine is about 80% complete.

Q: Can i join?
A: Sure, contact me through my mail(martin.drska@gmail.com) or PM here.

Q: Any web?
A: As soon as game will be finished. I do not want to invest time in web. There is no reason.

Screens:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3227/dc01.png
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5838/dc02.png
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9786/dc03.png
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome back! (I know you posted before, but this is the offical welcome back)
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

beowuuf wrote:Welcome back! (I know you posted before, but this is the offical welcome back)
Thank u. Yes I want "reveal" myself only in case that i will have something to offer.

For example now. I just complete condition system.

It works like this: Imagine an item(creature, wall, puddle on the floor, whatever, ...) can have unlimited conditional effects. This means that effect is active only in case of condition evaluation is true.

Example:
1) Torch effect "light" is active only in case that item is in left or right hand.
2) Another example can be compass which displays 4 different icons dependent on direction.

Same logic is also appliable to creatures(monsters).

3) So if monster is below 30% of its life another effects can come to life. For example faster regeneration. If it raise above 30% effects will not be applied.

With this logic i can setup most of dungeon changes. All this is not hardcoded in code but can be specified in xml.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

glad to see the dungeon set in use.. also see some of my ancient stuff from DMJ interface there too :S hasn't aged well to my eyes ;) perhaps I'll have a pass at those images later. :) it's always time that get's in the way :P
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Ahhhh - so the mystery is finally solved. I always wondered who Cowsmanaut created that wallset for!

I look forward to poking through the source. I've learnt a lot from looking at DSB (not just the LUA language but also in terms of the architecture), and would love to manually parse a little C# with XNA too :P

Welcome back and I wish you well with your project.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I created the wall set for a friend of mine.. he put it into DMjava and played around with it.. but I don't think he ever posted his dungeon. So I then gave it to Kelly, who then added to it.. THEN it ended up in Mystic Unicorn's hands.. However, it's only walls.. no monsters.. and I feel certain I created that movement image.. but for the life of me, I can't find the images of what it was for. I thought it was DMJ, but those ones look worse.. I really sucked back then.. and didn't really know how badly :D The only reason I remember it, is because of the stone image behind it, it's the colours of the stone image I've used for just about everything I've done for about 6 years.. only stopped using it about 2 years ago 0_0.. but where did you get it from? it's killing me not remembering..
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

Cows: This is ancient stuff. Reason is simple im a little ancient too. The idea of creating a clone is in my mind for many years. But my knowledge was never good enough. Cows u are the first one i want to ask for gfx permision(in this era). I know Kelly used that set in DMJava, actually u told me that. But i think u are the original autor. So Im asking it is fine to use your set like this? For example spellsheet is created by me in same style as walking pad. I simply like that wallset.

ian_sho: This set was not created for me as cows stated. But i always like his art and i do not want to make absolute classic(grey). If cows allows me use his gfx ill send u link to svn. Project has been created with open source in mind and there is no reason to hide it. But there are still things which must be done. As i stated earlier.

As i use those gfx i have to fix them little bit because im using slightly different slices of walls. Much more DM-like then DMJava like.

Its nice to feel that you're glad that im back.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Already gave permission to use it my good sir ;)

Just can't remember what set that movement graphic is from.. and it's driving me crazy!!
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

cowsmanaut wrote:Already gave permission to use it my good sir ;)

Just can't remember what set that movement graphic is from.. and it's driving me crazy!!
I found that movement pad somewhere here on this forum.

There are some recent development:
- Items like compass can be added to the game (they change gfx based on some condition(in this case - direction))
- compasses
- torches
- Illumulet

- Torches are now fully functional (Equip, unequip into hands means light or dark in dungeon) - there are some little bugs yet

- Dungeon light is not one value somewhere in game but container for effects affecting light. In real this means that u can have:
- items affecting light,
- spells affecting light,
- etc...
- in extreme u can set light effect to creature(member) which meeans that your party will never need torch. Something like "self light"

- all i wrote above is dynamic and can be configured. Nothing is statically coded.

- Moved poison to buffs (Effect are displayed below playerpanel)

-----

I created a group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=265626228290
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Re: Deep Cave - Updates

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

I made some updates, so im here to tell u about them.

First of all i switched to RTC style instead of DMJava style of displaying dungeon screen. This results into smaller viewport, however this smaller viewport can be easily doubled in future. I made some editor changes. In dungeon door are working, and are correctly displayed. So stairs. So basic dungeon view should be complete.

Here are some screens:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7361/dc04.png - Ra door
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/795/dc05.png - Spider door

Doors can open only up and down but this is only temporary.
bhagabhi
Novice

Post by bhagabhi »

A1: Honestly i do not believe that onyone would like to make that project opensourced. Maybe im wrong....
Yeah, there's always my "DotG" that is opensourced ;), but unfortunately I don't know many other projects that are.. Anyway - Great to see that there are some projects in development, opensource or not! Now we only need one graphics-set that is "open-sourced" under the Creative Commons or similar.. That would surely make my day, this is what I struggle with - finding graphics.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

why switch to the old walls? those things are ugly as sin.. yeah.. i know I made them.. but that's why I made the new set.. :P ;)
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

cowsmanaut wrote:why switch to the old walls? those things are ugly as sin.. yeah.. i know I made them.. but that's why I made the new set.. :P ;)
ill probably switch to new wallset. The main reason was RTC dimensions(java have different). RTC have several tools which can help. After i complete all game mechanics Ill start to create new "doubled wallset".

Im not so skilled in photoshop as u are, but even I can do some copy, paste, patch things(diff betwen user and artist :) ). Whole engine is created that no coordinate is an issue. So Ill switch Gfx and engine will adapt.

But my first goal is to create functional game engine with new posibilities but still in spirit of old DM. i have to complete:

- wallitem, flooritems, ... items on floor, ...
- monsters
- editor
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, if you need any help.. be sure to let me know.. I'll be happy to talk about it, start something.. leave it incomplete because of my regular work taking over my time.. and then eventually post something half done and rushed .. most likely within a year of having first talked about it :P

What is it they say? "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" :P
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

cowsmanaut wrote:well, if you need any help.. be sure to let me know.. I'll be happy to talk about it, start something..
This is an option? Nice.

Before ill ask u for anything. Ill make myself sure that this project will fly. It crashed so many time that i even not counting that. On the other hand....

Right now im making basic editor so i can add objects to dungeon, modify dungeon etc. After ill complete basics of this ill return to dungeon display.
Some shots:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2869/editor1.png
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4894/editor2.png

U were right about wallset and ill recreate wallset from original wallset i used. The only need for me are correct dimensions. I think i can handle that. I hope so....

But there is actualy something u can help me with. U can make side view for this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... untain.jpg I was not able to find it :(.

Maybe there is one more thing. I was able to track several original files of this set on photobucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... untain.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... ntain3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... ntains.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... stairs.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... _examp.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... _floor.jpg
(http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 3&start=30)

are there any other files similar to this? Engine allows almost everything to be animated. For example torch look like this: http://deepcave.googlecode.com/svn/trun ... /Torch.png

//EDIT: Still too many changes in code to make it public.
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

Updated first post.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, I never made a side view for that fountain because most people didn't seem to care for it. So I stayed with the lion. As for the other images, those should all be in the graphics set.. is there something that is not?
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

cowsmanaut wrote:yeah, I never made a side view for that fountain because most people didn't seem to care for it. So I stayed with the lion. As for the other images, those should all be in the graphics set.. is there something that is not?
I think that set is complete. Im trying to adapt it.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

what about DSB?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

Adamo wrote:
what about DSB?
DSB is opensourced?
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I logged in and could not find the code for DSB.
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

Can u be more specific? Im not following....
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

The graphics handling is closed source, the most important stuff is published (lua files), but it's not a community effort. Sophia never said it was an open source project. Adamo has downloaded the app and assumed that therefore it's a classified, dossified, certified 'OpenSource' project I presume :)
Mystic_Unicorn
Journeyman

Post by Mystic_Unicorn »

ian_scho wrote:The graphics handling is closed source, the most important stuff is published (lua files), but it's not a community effort. Sophia never said it was an open source project. Adamo has downloaded the app and assumed that therefore it's a classified, dossified, certified 'OpenSource' project I presume :)
I know lua capabilities of DSB. Good work. But as I said earlier...DBS, RTC has its own author. This project will have many authors(i hope so).

For example now im working on old cowsmanauts gfx. Im using avatars of Francois Munos. And this shapes the game....

There are many skilfull people which would like contribute to something existing. U can see this in "clones" section. Most of those attempts are abadoned. Too much for one person. On the other hand if u will have some place where u can realize your ideas maybe u consider join such a project.