[DSB] Unintended Heroism

Custom dungeons for DSB
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sasha
Journeyman

[DSB] Unintended Heroism

Post by Sasha »

Hello !
Here is my first attempt at a custom dungeon, for DSB.
A few notes (27/08) :
-The dungeon is rather linear, and is 13 levels deep. You may, however, want to explore a bit, as there are quite a few hidden places. There are two distincts endings.
-Most of bugs should be fixed by now. The thread is now full of hints/spoilers, if you feel lost.
-Some fights may be hard, although I made some balance fixes. The best advise would be to build a robust team (not focusing only on magic), or a really polyvalent solo character.
-Pardon my approximate English, both for in-game texts, and in dm.com forums.

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)

The DSB download forum link : http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 53&t=26508

Many thanks to Sophia for the daily support provided. You're the best !
Last edited by Sasha on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
the master
On Master

Re: [DSB] Unintended Heroism

Post by the master »

The website for this game link has been blocked by Virgin Media as a dangerous page. Is there any chance of it being hosted on the forum please.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Done now.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Sorry about the hosting issue, I didn't know any better (or safer) hosting place :( .
Anyway, thanks beowuuf for quickly solving it !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I try to catch new dungeon stuff and put them on to the dungeon list and host the files on DM.com, so no problem! Nice to see a DSB dungeon come out :)
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

That's a good thing, I don't have to worry about the original link to get dead, now. Actually we could just remove my original link to replace it with yours. There are still a few think i'd have liked to add in the dungeon (like banters for each recruitable npc for example, and other time-consuming things) , but i'll probably do this as a "massive" upgrade so you don't have to update the link every two days :) .
beowuuf wrote:Nice to see a DSB dungeon come out
Well DSB/ESB seemed to be the most promising tools, I certainly do not regret my choice !
EDIT : By the way, the DM/CSB ports for DSB links are dead (well not the thread links, but the actual files links). I'd have loved to get them at some point, as an example-provider for DSB/ESB mechanisms !
EDIT 2 : Woops, I forgot to remove a test savegame in the archive. Sorry about that, you can override it. :oops: (original link updated)
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Is anyone else playing this? I have had 2 crashes already when I used the dagger and thats right at the beginning.

Error message:

Lua Function STAB c:\dsb\unintentional/methods.lua: attempt to call global 'dsb_get lastmethod' (a nil value)
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Hello the master.
Are you using the latest DSB version ? As mentioned in the patchnote :
- Added dsb_set_lastmethod and renamed dsb_lastmethod to dsb_get_lastmethod
This may be causing your crashes (anyway, i can not reproduce the bugs with the files posted here).

Be sure to run the dungeon with DSB 0.53 . ( Here )
If you are already doing so, maybe Sophia could give a bit of advice here :P .
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Congratulations on releasing your first dungeon, Sasha. I'm looking forward to playing it as soon as I find some time! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Jan wrote:Congratulations on releasing your first dungeon, Sasha. I'm looking forward to playing it as soon as I find some time! :P
Thank you ! Given your avatar and location, I predict that a few tiny details in these depths could make you smile :D .
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Thanks Sasha problem solved. How do you get it to run in full screen though?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

In dsb.ini set Windowed = 0 (original Windowed = 1). But I run it in a window because it somehow "argues" with my graphic card in fullscreen and generally doesn't look too good on my wiiiiiiide monitor.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

You can set it up in DSB itself aswell : ingame, press escape, enter, => go fullscreen (you can also remap your keyboard settings in that menu).
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

So I started, the game looks great so far, the self-mumbling is funny, the whole game looks a bit "relaxed" and it's exactly what I enjoy. :) I just have problems with low stamina, I lose it very fast and when I sleep it drops even more to almost a zero and then starts regenerating fast. I hope that improves later in the game as I gain more levels.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Yep i noticed that issue too ! With a few ninja /warrior levels it gets better i think . This is probably caused by the base high wisdom / mana of the main char .
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

That Sasha cant half eat a lot especially when doing spells. Hope that doesn't emulate you in real life!
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Eh eh. however, you probably will not miss food or drink. There are plenty, even too much if playing with only one or two chars. Finding flasks shouldn't be a problem too, spamming YA potions will both solve the stamina problem, and make you a better priest :lol: ( by the way, you may want to have at least one "all around" character, as specific items that you may find would be really nice in a balanced character's hand) .
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am progressing well and have reached a point where you need 4 keys. I have 3 of the keys but am stuck on the bit where you have 4 columns of alcoves numbered 1 - 9. In the room before that there are 4 scrolls in alcoves each with a flask. Can you give me a hint as to what is required here please.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

<.<

>.>

hey.. am I dreaming or isn't it the first DSB custom dungeon ever released ?!
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not quite, Joramund had Chaos hack!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

For sure, but it's ... random and from a "co-developer" of DSB ;)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, fair enough, the first stand alone custom dungeon for DSB! Yay! Long may the streak continue!
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:I am progressing well and have reached a point where you need 4 keys. I have 3 of the keys but am stuck on the bit where you have 4 columns of alcoves numbered 1 - 9. In the room before that there are 4 scrolls in alcoves each with a flask. Can you give me a hint as to what is required here please.
Each scroll mentions what is needed in the right alcove of each column. The point is, finding the right number
Spoiler
(basically, you find the right combination, then put the right items, in the right alcoves, in the right column)
. It's a specific number (and quite "popular", that may require a google search if you don't know about it.
There are a few hints given about this number in this room (one is free, right at the entrance,
Spoiler
another appears only if you solved a puzzle "the right way" at the first levels of the dungeon.
You can also pay for the answer, if you managed to collect some cash
Spoiler
- although if you don't need it, don't spend it, you may want to keep those coins.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Thanks Sasha I had worked it out before you posted the answer, but your reply will help someone else that gets stuck there.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am now in a room with loads of antmen and Oitu. You cannot use spells in here and as soon as you step into the room there is no way out (as far as I can see). It is moreorless impossible to survive for more than a couple of seconds as you are surrounded. Is there a switch in here to open the door or a false wall I need to find?
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:I am now in a room with loads of antmen and Oitu. You cannot use spells in here and as soon as you step into the room there is no way out (as far as I can see). It is moreorless impossible to survive for more than a couple of seconds as you are surrounded. Is there a switch in here to open the door or a false wall I need to find?
There are a couple of ways to get you out of here.
a)
Spoiler
you can actually cast spells in this rooms, although it drains mana a lot (you cannot shoot spells from the outside, but you can while you are inside). You can then prepare your spells before (either fireballs for destruction, or oh ven for dealing with surrounding), and, maybe the more important, cast a high level party shield spell before entering the room (magic shields - physical, fire, magical- will be your best friends :) ), and preparing vi potions (you can pick the four flask of the phi riddle room after you got the key).
b)
Spoiler
The door (EDIT : the door located at the opposite side of the room !) is actually breakable with weapons methods that usually do it (a weak chop will do it) . The Oitu actually just drops an axe, if you haven't found a "door-breaking' weapon before. So, you could just rush to the door, and blast it.
c)
Spoiler
On a test-play i made, i managed to clear the room with the advises i gave you above, with a bit of hit and run, first dealing with antmen, then finishing with the Oitu.
Depending on the choices you made (such as characters/items at the beginning, and your fighter/ninja experience), this room can actually be tricky. Take this as a "you should get a robust front character" advise, some fights are hard and you would probably appreciate having a good melee fighter in your team. While it may take some more time, a little weapon mastery training can will be worth the investment.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

There is a iron grid gate by wall text Wizards Essence. Can't see how to open it? There is an alcove but don't know what to put in it.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Jan wrote:So I started, the game looks great so far, the self-mumbling is funny, the whole game looks a bit "relaxed" and it's exactly what I enjoy.
Nice to hear ! By the way, did you enjoy the "new chapter" ambient sound ? :D
beowuuf wrote:Lol, fair enough, the first stand alone custom dungeon for DSB! Yay! Long may the streak continue!
Ooh, that is stressing :lol: . I sincerly hope people will enjoy it and give DSB/ESB a try, it's definitely worth it.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:There is a iron grid gate by wall text Wizards Essence. Can't see how to open it? There is an alcove but don't know what to put in it.
Spoiler
The basic useless wizard spell !
EDIT :
Spoiler
You will soon be able to get a "reward" item. I advise that you save before choosing, as the choice can make a real difference, depending on your actual characters class levels (the items are supposed to be really nice, to be able to deal with the increasing difficulty, but you have to build a high level in some classes to wield some of them effectively)
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Sasha could I ask you if you have actually played the game yourself and have succeeded in getting across the fireball room. Because even after taking a Neta portion I get killed after 2 steps. Is there a way across or a way of turning off the fireballs.