[DSB] Unintended Heroism

Custom dungeons for DSB
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sasha
Journeyman

Re: [DSB] Unintended Heroism

Post by Sasha »

Yes, I did a lot of testing.
Spoiler
Most of things in this room are illusions, except for the pit in the middle and the fireball spawning (the mobs spawning actually often protects you from being hit.
By "Neta portion" you mean ful bro neta spell,right ? Not the ya bro neta potion (which is just a vitality potion, indeed, no use in this room) ? The effectiveness of ful bro neta depends on the power rune used to cast this spell (with a mon Fireshield, i take 0 damage from those fireballs, with a naked Wuuf (well Wuuf is as naked as a dog priest can be - furry would actually be more appropriate).
TIP :
Spoiler
If your priest level is too low to cast a powerful fireshield, you can cast multiple weak Fireshields in a row, their effectiveness actually stacks . I just tried casting 6-7 lo ful bro neta spells, and still, 0 damage. Not a single Wuuf-hair was harmed in this process. Remember this, you may find it useful against specific foes. The poisons clouds should not be a problem, as all you have to do is rush through the room and grab the gem
EDIT : Excuse me if you find all this to be too much challenging, I hope it do not spoil your adventure
Spoiler
(the kind mummy left an explicit message on the scroll, though :p)
You'll have noticed that this level's purpose is to "test" the party's ability in each of the four classes. The last "trial" is dedicated to priests, obviously :)
EDIT 2 :
May i know what difficulty level, starting characters/items you picked ? And your actual level/stats ? Did you do some training ? A little feedback would help me adjusting things, and making the difficulty increase "smoother" . (Although I ran some tests with "regular" characters, I obviously know the secrets area which, therefore, grant me quite a few helpful gears.)
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

linflas wrote:For sure, but it's ... random and from a "co-developer" of DSB ;)
OT:

I'm flattered, however, my contribution to the development of DSB has been mainly to convert DM and CSB (and it's not even finished) and some bug reporting.

OnT:

Congratulations for the release of the first DSB full-fledged dungeon !
What Is Your Quest ?
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Could I ask what the Black Widow does. I have put it in the hand of my Fighter (and other characters) and it does nothing when you click on it.

Also a warning, be careful when you are on or near Erictho's Den as when I have tried to sleep your mouse (or mine does anyway) goes into a sleep state and you can't click on the WAKE UP to get back to the game. On this bit you can't use spells and there is humming noise in the background. I am wondering if this is taking up too much of the resources making the program run extremely slow. Maybe Sasha can throw some light on this. The way round it is to try and lure a monsters back to the entrance and kill them there.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:Could I ask what the Black Widow does. I have put it in the hand of my Fighter (and other characters) and it does nothing when you click on it.

Also a warning, be careful when you are on or near Erictho's Den as when I have tried to sleep your mouse (or mine does anyway) goes into a sleep state and you can't click on the WAKE UP to get back to the game. On this bit you can't use spells and there is humming noise in the background. I am wondering if this is taking up too much of the resources making the program run extremely slow. Maybe Sasha can throw some light on this. The way round it is to try and lure a monsters back to the entrance and kill them there.
The Black Widow is meant to be wielded
Spoiler
by a high level thief (I think its first available attack gets unlocked at artisan (or craftsman?).
I'll have a look at your issue near erichto's den , I did not notice that because I have a rather new PC but i may have forgotten killing a ressource consuming thing at this point indeed . (EDIT : that was not a PC-performance issue)
Last edited by Sasha on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am encountering complete lock ups now which occur if I sleep on that level or indeed after I come back up the stairs from that level. I can't really see how I can get past it as the only alternative is to get your levels up without sleeping and that could take a while, if its at all possible.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Sasha if you fix it that means that I am going to have to start from the beginning.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:Sasha if you fix it that means that I am going to have to start from the beginning.
That's the bad news. I guess the best i can do for you now, is going you through this area with your savegame on my computer, then send it back to you. Anything running using ressources on your OS ? Tried in windowed mode ?
EDIT : This does not occur, even on my gf's laptop. May i know how old is your computer ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The good thing about DSB is that you can sometimes fix a dungeon without restarting, by applying the proper patches to the Lua scripts that run on startup. :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I've found some time to progress a bit tonight, just "finished" the "(Hit and) Run" level. I'm having a good fun with that dungeon. :D I've got a few questions / remarks:

1. I'm not able to solve some puzzles on this level - do I have to come back here from lower levels later or is it just my lack of skills? For example, I don't have any gem to put in the gem hole, I don't know what to put on the pad that leads to a dead-end and I don't seem to have a key for a (possibly) Master Key hole. No need to give me a hint if the solution lies lower.

2. Are there any chests in the game? I'm playing with one character only and my carrying capacity is quite limited. Not a big problem so far but if I start finding more keys / coins etc. I'll have to start dumping food and that's not very good.

3. Stamina keeps to be a problem - I must have casted more than 100 stamina potions so far.

4. It's more a DSB observation but I've noticed that the monster AI is much better than in the other engines. Not only the monsters try to evade / dodge my spells (fireballs etc.) - I've already known that from Chaos Hack - but they also aim specifically at me. In CSBWin, for example, the dragon seemed to fire randomly to the left or right and didn't seem to be influenced by my position whereas in DSB when I play with one character only he always shoots in my direction. Well done, Sophia! I'm quite curious what other surprises do you have for us in DSB! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Jan wrote: 1. I'm not able to solve some puzzles on this level - do I have to come back here from lower levels later or is it just my lack of skills? For example, I don't have any gem to put in the gem hole, I don't know what to put on the pad that leads to a dead-end and I don't seem to have a key for a (possibly) Master Key hole. No need to give me a hint if the solution lies lower.
Spoiler
You get the gem if you solved the mummy/pit thing the "nicer way", but i guess that is too late now :lol: . The gem has "somehow" the same function as the master key that you used to open one of the door, so if you got the gem, you should have one spare master key to use in the keyhole next to the two doors. That is not necessary though, don't worry.
Jan wrote:2. Are there any chests in the game? I'm playing with one character only and my carrying capacity is quite limited. Not a big problem so far but if I start finding more keys / coins etc. I'll have to start dumping food and that's not very good.
Yes there are a few chests. If you solo, you should not worry about dumping food though (or, you'd better use it to do a few training sessions :) ) Again, some ninja/fighter leveling might be a good idea (even a few level will grant you some stamina, and strength to carry a chest and/or heavy armor (which you'd probably want to wear later in the game :) )
3. Stamina keeps to be a problem - I must have casted more than 100 stamina potions so far.
Eheh, the more you cast potions, the more you rise your priest skills, the more you get mana/wisdom ... draining your stamina :lol: . I highly recommand building a balanced character, especially if soloing !
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Sophia wrote:The good thing about DSB is that you can sometimes fix a dungeon without restarting, by applying the proper patches to the Lua scripts that run on startup. :D
I'd like to do so, but i'm confused about what is the actual origin of the issue. :oops: If anyone ever gets to this part of the dungeon and gets the same freezing problems ; please let me know !
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

D/l link updated, fixed a serious issue occuring in a specific area. Added a bit more base stamina to the main character, slightly lowered his wisdom.

For those who went to chapter 2 with the previous version :
Spoiler
you'd probably better not use the second "room of happiness" coin-teleporter.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Now that place with
Spoiler
four rows of numbered alcoves
was one of the smartest riddles I've seen for a looong time! The *bulb* over my head when I realised the solution must have been reported by meteorologists as a sudden and unexpected local summer storm and must have also temporarily blinded a half of my neighbours. :P
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Alright. You got me with that
Spoiler
Mophus
thing. What do you smoke? :mrgreen:

No, really, I like this dungeon a lot. I like it because a lot of reasons, but the most important thing is that it's not entirely serious - it's simply fun to play. It reminds me some of the older Zed's dungeons, but it seems to be larger + the fights have been so far more balanced + it might be even more crazy (in a good sense!). Perhaps I'd use less teleporters and more "traditional" stairs to join the different parts (levels?) to give it a better sense of "continuity" but meh, it's a detail.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Jan wrote:Now that place with
Spoiler
four rows of numbered alcoves
was one of the smartest riddles I've seen for a looong time! The *bulb* over my head when I realised the solution must have been reported by meteorologists as a sudden and unexpected local summer storm and must have also temporarily blinded a half of my neighbours. :P
Eh eh, you're a skilled story teller, should've hired you for writing the dungeon texts :D .
Jan wrote:Alright. You got me with that
Spoiler
Mophus
thing. What do you smoke? :mrgreen:

No, really, I like this dungeon a lot. I like it because a lot of reasons, but the most important thing is that it's not entirely serious - it's simply fun to play. It reminds me some of the older Zed's dungeons, but it seems to be larger + the fights have been so far more balanced + it might be even more crazy (in a good sense!). Perhaps I'd use less teleporters and more "traditional" stairs to join the different parts (levels?) to give it a better sense of "continuity" but meh, it's a detail.
Oh, you didn't unleashed the beast, did you ? What a brave adventurer !
I'm glad you're enjoying the dungeon so far. I hope you won't have to deal with nasty bugs :s .
The different levels are usually linked by stairs, teleporters mainly gets you to another part of any given level. But I understand your point, I'll keep that in mind ! Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback !
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am still getting lock ups on the Den level. Just waiting to see if Jan gets the same problem when he gets there. This is with the new download as well. It only starts occurring when there are 2 hell hounds left and 2 devils left to kill.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:I am still getting lock ups on the Den level. Just waiting to see if Jan gets the same problem when he gets there. This is with the new download as well. It only starts occurring when there are 2 hell hounds left and 2 devils left to kill.
With the new download, with a new game created you mean ? :(
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Yes its the new version I am using.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

I changed the layout of this evil room so this issue could not happen anymore-link updated.

The master : If you didn't/don't want to start over a game again, you can mail me your latest "buggy" savegame, I think i finally figured out the way to fix it.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

the master wrote:Just waiting to see if Jan gets the same problem when he gets there.
I seem to have reached the Den level. Killed all the toads in my way, the game slowed down and the laptop cooler increased speed to a previously unencountered RPMs, however, I managed to
Spoiler
cross the "spell row" (funnily I was able to circle around in the outer circle with the spells anti-clockwise but I had serious problems to cross the inner circle), pushed a switch and fell into a pit into a "pleasant place". Apparently I didn't have time to smell the roses in the "spell row" so I hope nothing important was lying there
. Saved my game here. Don't know if it's good or bad? Is this the right way? :?:

Also, on the previous level, I didn't do anything with the "mummy" footprints and I also unlocked only one door (with one RA key - the left one I think). I didn't have a second RA key, not mentioning the other keys. Not sure if I can come back - certainly not through the pit. :wink:

EDIT: oh, and I had to laugh again at the
Spoiler
Public Toilets
. Where do you get all these ideas? :)

EDIT2: and I hope that the final boss is not LeChuck himself. :) And if yes, then only the low-res one. :wink:
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Jan wrote:Don't know if it's good or bad? Is this the right way?
That should be okay, do you experience any slowdown, now that you've fell into the pit ?
Spoiler
The switch is supposed to kill the message sender that produces the spell row, but ... anyway, don't worry, only a minor thing was lying behind the "pit wall", not worth dying for it !
Jan wrote:Also, on the previous level, I didn't do anything with the "mummy" footprints and I also unlocked only one door (with one RA key - the left one I think). I didn't have a second RA key, not mentioning the other keys. Not sure if I can come back - certainly not through the pit.
Eh eh, just another reminder that you should have led this mummy to freedom :p For the keys, don't worry, you're up to date ; you' ll actually come back there later.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Sasha wrote:do you experience any slowdown, now that you've fell into the pit ?
Unfortunately, yes. :( Directly under the pit it was better but it's worsened. It might not be as bad as in the "spell row" but it's still too sluggish, on the very verge of "playability".

Moreover, the sound is completely wrong, most of the sounds are missing (you throw 10 things and only get one sound, you swing your sword 10 times and you only get one sound, you tap a wall 10 times and you only get one sound etc.) and the rest is screwed up beyond recognition and sounds like 1980s PC Squeaker (a Screamer's attack sounds exactly like a bird's peep).

The worst thing is that my laptop's fan keeps running at unusually high RPMs and that's bad because it's old and I don't want to damage it. CPU usage is not that high (between 20 and 50 % totally and I have a rather old and weak computer) but the fan worries me very much.

To sum it up, I guess it's still be playable (I got accross the
Spoiler
dragon / shooter / pit
part) but right now I don't want to go on because I don't want to damage my laptop.

Can it be fixed / helped somehow?

It's a pitty because otherwise I really enjoyed playing it very much. :(

EDIT: I guess some processes linked to the "spell-row" keep running at the background. It seems that it all depends on how fast you solve the "spell-row" level - the faster you solve it (run around the monsters etc.) the faster the game runs after that. I think I still have a savegame from before that level.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Well i'm confused, because i never experienced issues on this part of the dungeon during my tests . I can indeed fix your savegame if you want to continue with the current version of the game . The new version uploaded last night should not cause this issue anymore, though (but you probably do not want to start the game over again, which I understand) .
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

So if I e-mail you my savegame, you would fix it? Wow! :shock: That one behind the "spell-row"?
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Jan wrote:So if I e-mail you my savegame, you would fix it? Wow! :shock: That one behind the "spell-row"?
Any save before the spellrow would be nice, but if it's after, I guess that i can fix it as well.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am now cracking on a bit since you sent me the fix saved game. I am on the Crypt level and
Spoiler
have done most of it (I think). However, I have come through the Phantom Scorpion room (didn't kill him, just avoided him) and collected the
Spoiler
Ra Key
. Just behind him is a teleporter that takes me back to where I started the level. Not quite sure what to do with the
Spoiler
Ra Key
. Also there are 2 doors upstairs when you come through the black flames which I can't work out how to open.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:However, I have come through the Phantom Scorpion room (didn't kill him, just avoided him)
Spoiler
It holds one of the two winged keys required to go further, he's fast and though, but can be killed by the same spells that usually affect unmaterial beings (erichto holds the second key). About the Ra key, you'll need it once you have opened the "winged key" door.
the master wrote: Not quite sure what to do with the Ra Key. Also there are 2 doors upstairs when you come through the black flames which I can't work out how to open.
Spoiler
One door can be blasted by a fireball, you'll be able to open to other one from there(given you manage to defeat the guardian...)
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Yeh defeated the guardian. I am now in a room where I have picked up a weapon called Angry Edge. When I try to use it it just say Apologise. I also have a piece of
Spoiler
magical screamer
. How do I use the Angry Edge and what do I do with the
Spoiler
magical screamer
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

the master wrote:Yeh defeated the guardian. I am now in a room where I have picked up a weapon called Angry Edge. When I try to use it it just say Apologise. I also have a piece of
Spoiler
magical screamer
. How do I use the Angry Edge and what do I do with the
Spoiler
magical screamer
The weapon you're talking about is angry
Spoiler
because you didn't feed it with screamer.
However, if you apologize, you should be able to use it again
Spoiler
(only against screamers ! if you use the "not angry" version of the weapon against a screamer, each hit should boost your strength for a time, and feed you directly
Spoiler
The magical screamer slice is just meant to be eaten. It gives something like a +10 perma wisdom bonus .
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

How do I apologise to a weapon. Something like - okay I'm sorry. :D