[DSB] Probably Solvable- A random dungeon generator

Custom dungeons for DSB
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
kaypy
Artisan

[DSB] Probably Solvable- A random dungeon generator

Post by kaypy »

Sophia (on Apr 1) wrote: :arrow: The default dungeon is randomly generated and is probably solvable, but I haven't playtested it so I don't know.
So I've been tweaking Joramun' Chaos Hack for a while, but I ran into a problem where I was pretty sure it was possible to wind up with a situation where you needed to use the right keys on the right doors or you would be left with a situation where the key you need is locked away. It's now at a point where the code is barely recognizable from the original, but I believe the new version is Probably Solvable.

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)

Oh, you may want to make the tweak here if you want to run this before DSB 0.66 comes out. There isn't *much* chance of that exact situation with queued teleporters coming up, but it hit me during testing... (but that might have mainly been because I was putting in a shortcut to the end of the dungeon instead of murdering everything on the way down...)

Some other stuff (may be a trace spoilery):
Keys are all uniqueish, and thus have descriptions to make this a bit more obvious- a short iron circle key is not the same as a large steel round key.
Keys will be displayed in keyholes so you don't wind up trying every key in your inventory on a keyhole you opened earlier.
CSB monsters have been tweaked a bit to be different from DM monsters (actually, I may need to make them a bit more distinct- playtesting now...)
Magic is locked down until you obtain various runes. The essential ones are specifically placed at appropriate depths in the dungeon, but most are randomish.
Monsters respawn randomly, and may follow you through stairs.
There's a bunch of cursed stuff lying around. And if there's not enough by default, you can always go hug a ruster...

Now back to trying to fix that whole not-enough-playtesting thing, and this time I must remember not to rearrange my inventory while standing on the trapped tile...
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
kaypy
Artisan

Re: [DSB] Probably Solvable- A random dungeon generator

Post by kaypy »

And here's the first inevitable bugfix 8-)

http://en.file-upload.net/download-1081 ... 1.zip.html

If a pressure pad was right next to a moveable wall, then you could step off the pad into the wall and it would close behind you. There was an 'emergency pad' mechanism to open it if you were on the wrong side, but that would reverse the polarity of the M_TOGGLE based primary pad. So if you later went back, the pad would now act to close the wall, and since it was right next to the wall, this would make the wall impassable.

Also, dont stand at mumble spoiler mumble
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Here is a new version

http://en.file-upload.net/download-1126 ... b.zip.html

This one adds secret areas to the dungeon. These are guaranteed* to be non-essential for completing the dungeon, but item drops in the secret areas are calculated as much deeper into the dungeon. There is also automatically one 'good' item in each secret area, but at this stage 'good' basically means not-cursed and from several levels deeper in the dungeon. Until I get around to rejigging the item generator more, that could easily mean a worm-round 8-(

Positioning of keys and suchlike should now show a bias towards the ends of branches of the dungeon and away from each other. Not quite "make the party walk down every passage", but biased that way rather than completely random.

Item drops in otherwise unnecessary parts of the dungeon should be better than the areas you need to go to for keys or buttons. But not as good as secret areas.

I haven't done more than initial 'if I generate one right by the entrance does it work' and 'does it look about right in ESB' testing yet, but I'm about to get started on that. The fact that the filename is already up to 'b' and I haven't actually finished the initial posting yet shouldn't affect your utter confidence in my quality control, right? But going by the volume on this thread, I suspect my target audience consists of me, so it shouldn't be a problem 8-)

--
* Within technical bugginess limits. Warranty expires between when you download the file and when you start the executable.
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

And now

http://en.file-upload.net/download-1126 ... c.zip.html

(not major, but cleans up a bit of text glitchiness because on_spawn didn't work in the way I expected)
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

http://en.file-upload.net/download-1130 ... 4.zip.html
fixes a nasty crashing bug and some more minor glitches.

Works best with 0.66c or later.

Note that I was able to continue an existing game via:
1) get the new DSB in a new folder
2) setup a new module folder
3) shift my save files and a pregenned dungeon.lua across
4) start dsb and continue playing
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This is really impressive. :D
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Unfortunately, its also still a bit buggy. This one is minorish- it doesn't make the game unplayable, but it can 'unfairly' need a tiny switch to open a mandatory moving wall.

http://en.file-upload.net/download-1131 ... 5.zip.html
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

New version

Now with pit traps, keyrings, some minor tweaks to the base DM rules, and of course more debugging. And probably more bugs.

http://en.file-upload.net/download-1188 ... 8.zip.html

This needs DSB 0.66-and-a-bit as seen here: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 53&t=30152

Also I really need to find somewhere to put it that wont un-link it quite so quickly...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

beowuuf wrote:http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/dun ... 160828.zip for that latest build.
Thanks for that
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Hmm. Looks like there may be some link problems there. Here's a new version.

https://www.file-upload.net/en/download ... 9.zip.html

It could probably use more testing, but it's better than a broken link.

OK, off to get to work on that playtesting 8-)
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Hmm. First glitch- comment out line 192 of startup.lua

It looks like "seeding the rng" means "breaking the rng"
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Second test went much better. My party died horribly without exposing any bugs at all!

Well its a success of sorts...
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Downloaded the latest version of DSB and also this and Dungeon Hack and Echoes Of Chaos. Didn't last too long in Dungeon Hack. Either kept getting overwhelmed/cornered, or dying of thirst. Need water. Just today, playing this, I nearly died through thirst, but made it back to the fountain, finding an empty flask on my way, which I gladly filled.

I added this to the dungeon.lua:

champions = 4
dsb_champion_toparty(0, CHARACTER_IAIDO)
dsb_champion_toparty(1, CHARACTER_LEYLA)
dsb_champion_toparty(2, CHARACTER_WUTSE)
dsb_champion_toparty(3, CHARACTER_CHANI)

I like to play with a full team and the usual suspects. Made dsb and added Compile = 1 to it. Question: the other day when I died and quit and re-started I got the same dungeon, even though I'd added the compile instruction. Curious. Does DSB make a copy of your last playthrough? I'm new to DSB, so please understand my asking.
Anyway, still alive on level 4 and with weaponry and some half decent armour. Gradually finding runes. Wu Tse started as an apprentice priest and Chani as an apprentice Mage. Iaido and Leyla can become fairly good all-rounders, if they live that long.

Great mod for my favourite RPG and it's getting harder and harder as I descend deeper. Hoping to find better weapons and more runes and get my team into shape for what's to come.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Hello, Dungeon Hack is an old hack with not tuned difficulty and some possible dead ends (because of the possibilty of duplicate key/lock pairs), you should play "probably solvable" instead.
In both Dungeon Hack and Probably Solvable:
- If you set compile = 1 it will output the dungeon.dsb from the lua and never re-execute the random generation code.
- If you set compile = 0 it will execute the lua and recompute a new dungeon every time.
What Is Your Quest ?
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Thanks Joramun, I got "compile" the wrong way round. Finding that if you manage to survive for awhile and get some decent gear etc., you can progress, always being careful, as you never know what you're going to meet. Expect the unexpected and save often to multiple save slots in case of a dead-end or tough enemies. Food supply is ok, but I've only found one fountain and it's a bit of a pain having to track back when dying of thirst.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Surviving for the first half hour is key.