[Custom dungeon] Echoes of Chaos [DSB] [Saumun]

Custom dungeons for DSB
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
antraxus
Artisan

Re: [DSB] Echoes of Chaos

Post by antraxus »

ahh ok, just saw it, i m using 0.67. well problem solved :-P

Guess i have to start over. :-(
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Aha... if you like, I’m happy to play it up to the point you reached with 0.68 and send it to you.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

that would we awesome, thx alot
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Antraxus, can you sent your DSB0.67 files and folder to the same email, so that I can view your save?

I don’t have 0.67.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Forget that last post. Turns out that your save is compatible with 0.68, which is a pretty cool feature.

Anyway, I’ve wandered around your save seeing exactly what had been done/found, but I’ll only be able to get it back to you tomorrow.
Should be pretty much as you were, except I’ll be playing fast so your characters will be a bit weaker.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

You can also "hotfix" a save with a bit of code that alters the dungeon state to what it should be, which would avoid having to replay anything. Basically, you put the code into sys_game_load in startup.lua and then load the save, the fix is applied, then you re-save and delete the code so it's not applied multiple times. I've done this a few times myself. Depending on how comfortable you are delving into the internals of DSB it might be much faster, or it might be annoying.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Antraxus... I’ve sent you an email with a new save for 0.68.
It’s more or less where you left it.
The characters are a little weaker because I was playing fairly quickly, and I have saved it near the skeleton back on level 1.
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

thx alot for everything.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

No problem.
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

umm, ok i cant find the file,where did u send it too?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Damn, sorry. Just checked... failed to send.

I won’t be back in until later. I’ll resend it then.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

D’oh... just realised what I did.
I’ll pm you to explain.
Posting this from my phone. Will be back at my computer around 6:30 this evening. I’ll resend then.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

I have a problem finding the 3rd GREEN GEM. I had no problems finding all 3 orange gems and 3 blue gems, but with the green I seem to be stuck.
I got one after killing a rat (in a north-east part of the green-gems-section), and a second after killing the small monk. I went all over this part of dungeon, got mithrail sword and killed the rat near the gem-hole - but no idea... Is there anything with the pit and the lever maybe? Could you give me a hint?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You’ve pretty much nailed it in that post.
Spoiler
Fall down the pit.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Of course I thought about it!!! Have fallen several times - but maybe there is a way to fall (or do someting else there) I havent tried yet... Thanks!

Something else, a general question without any hints please:
So far, on every level I left behind, there were some unsolved areas / riddles. Is it necessary to end them to end the game, can I return there later, or are these "optional" ways/riddles. Examples:
On level 0 of course the start and then later "left door"-area (with 4 levers - I managed only to move 3 of them). Since I had only 1 key, and after trying I took the right door finally upstairs.
On level 1 (antmen, oitus, etc.) again I had only I key for those doors in south-east-area - but I managed to go further upstairs again to the gem-level...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Ultimately, you’ll need to complete all areas to be able to get through the penultimate level (there is a certain item on each level that you’ll need), but there are also skeleton keys on most levels (not all - you’ll see why as the layout becomes apparent).... so yes, you can get back to any level quickly as long as you find the skeleton keys.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Okey, I am now stuck in several places (like on the bridge with the Dark Knight. I suppose to know what is necessary to pass him - there was a hint on a wall somewhere. So I just have to find the stuff.)
But in general there are several places I cannot pass TO a key (a "magic fog" stops me), while on the same time there are several locks I have no key for them. So please give me another hint which is not a direct one: Are the solutions to open doors / get keys / pass a haze always on the same level/section (buttons, hidden walls, pressure plates etc.), or - like in one part of Chaos Strikes Back - a trigger may be hidden in a completely different section or even level?

Or asked in another way: Is it possible to take a wrong route in the game, so there is NO RIGHT WAY BACK? Example: since on the level0 I took the right of the two corridors doors in north-east section (left is to the section of levers, right leads upstairs) - should I be able to return somehow to the left-door-section again? (Skeleton keys dont help here).

Anyway, I fear I have to walk around EVERY place now, turning every stone/wall too find some solutions...

By the way a small but nice detail I like about Echos Of Chaos (which I havent seen in any DM-custom dungeon before, even not in Conflux III): When poisoned by a creature, one needs different strength of the serum-potion to heal. In other games the lowest one was sufficient to be cured - so here it is more realistic! Thanks!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You can always get back. There is no wrong way.
Quicker with skeleton keys, but you can take the long way also.
I need to ask a question though. Which version of DSB are you using? Make sure it’s not 0.67 (see proviso at the top of the thread). It cannot be completed with this version due to a bug.

In answer to your other questions...
Black knight - If you’re referring to a certain armour, then you’re right. Which bits do you have?
Door (first level?) - There is another identical key. It won’t advance you further overall. It leads to an item you need.
Haze that’s blocking you - I’d need to know exactly where you mean, as there are several.

No switches are on different levels to what they activate (as far I as can remember).
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

I normally use RTC to play but saw this dungeon and it's not on RTC, so downloaded DSB v.0.79 and EOC. Anyway, I'm stuck.
I've killed the skeleton behind the "invincible haze" and further on found a compass. Good job too as I was heading west and got spun round. At the end of this bit is a square room with a pressure pad in the middle. On one of the walls is a lever, which when approached, moves to a different wall. How can I pull the lever if it keeps moving?
This is my first game to be played using DSB and I chose it as I've played many hours on your Dark Reign on RTC, so I was expecting good things.
I must say that monsters attack faster on DSB and can split-up to surround you and also have an annoying habit of dodging fireballs. You will know all this, but I'm new to using DSB.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It’s been a long time for this one too.
I don’t finish work until this evening, so can’t check for sure... but off the top of my head, I think there is a switch or button somewhere that stops the lever from moving.

However, I thought that was on a later level.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Forget that bit about the later level. I’m getting it confused with something else.
I think it may be the pad that stops the lever moving, but I think the pad is activated by a button somewhere in that area.
Have a hunt around.

The monster AI in DSB is indeed definitely more challenging than in RTC.
They will often sidestep rather than just following you around.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

I will have a more intense and thorough look around. Maybe a button/switch somewhere that will make the pressure pad become active. I'm getting too lazy in my old age.
Many thanks for replying.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Found the button. I must have been tired last night as the button is rather big, or maybe it wasn't there when I thought that I'd searched every inch.
Stuck again (ha, what else is new?). Found an area with fast moving hazes that you have to avoid by moving very, very quickly to get to a lever and pull it before the haze catches up with you and teleports you back to the start. On about my 8th attempt I did it, but nothing seems to have changed on this dungeon level.
Also found a large area with a central column with an alcove with a key that's protected with a haze. In each corner of the room is a pressure plate. 3 can be stood on; the 4th is protected with a haze. I don't know what to do. Been checking all the walls for buttons.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

In that room, all four plates are initially blocked by hazes.
It seems you’ve uncovered three. If I remember correctly, the hazes are all turned off by switches somewhere in the area.
The key is released when you’ve stepped on all four pressure plates.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sorry, I think it’s four levers. Not switches.
If I get the time later, I’ll try to have a run through it myself because my memory is a bit hazy on this. The first level is rather more complex than the others, because I wasn’t sure at first exactly what I was going for.

This isn’t really giving anything away, but I’ll spoiler it anyway...
Spoiler
Each level contains a key of essence, a skeleton key, and gem-based key in all except two levels. The skeleton keys are optional, but useful for backtracking. All the others are essential.
Spoiler
What is not obvious (unless you’re mapping as you go) is that levels 3/4 and 8/9 are side by side and not up/down, and are separated by a normal portcullis opened with a brass key (which is why there are two levels without gem-based keys).
Spoiler
The reason I’m mentioning this is that the area you’re in contains an essence key (which you’ll need later), but you’ll need the emerald key to access the stairs.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Many thanks, Saumun. I will keep on searching.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I just went back to that area via an old save, so I did not do it in real time... but there are indeed four levers in the area.
You’ve been through the fast-moving hazes and the room where the lever moves. There is another in a room full of wasps, and one more beyond the wasp room where you need a key.
I can’t remember which key you need, but there are four corridors. If I remember correctly, each one has a lever behind a portcullis along with some goodies and you just have to choose one. The others get blocked off when you do.

After pulling the four levers, the floor plates in the essence key room should be clear. You don’t need the essence keys yet, but will need them all eventually so it’s best to get it now.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Thank you.