[Custom dungeon] Vexirk Catacomb [RTC] [L.Bridge]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
L.Bridge
Novice

[Custom dungeon] Vexirk Catacomb [RTC] [L.Bridge]

Post by L.Bridge »

Version: V0.2 for RTC V0.33
Platform: RTC
Author: L.Bridge
Email address: lbridge@tiscali.co.uk
Date published: 2005, March 29
Date last updated: 2005, March 29

Story:
You have been sent into the Vexirk Catacomb to rescue the Grey Lord.

Aim:
Main Objectives:
  • Kill the Mon Vexirk's guardians
  • Kill the Mon Vexirk himself and rescue the Grey Lord
  • Escape
Secondary Objectives:
  • Find all the special character necklaces
  • Kill Gea
  • Collect all the Armour of Darc
  • Purchase all the Ra Armour by finding various items
Notes:
Difficulty: Medium
Levels: 8
The dungeon is probably not too original but I've not had much time to play any other dungeons yet.
The dungeon is for use with RTC v0.34.

Known bugs:
There shouldn't be any bugs, let me know if there are though.

History:
  • Version 0.2 (2005-03-29)
    • Spotted a couple of items that I use for debugging that were not supposed to be left in the dungeon, also a puzzle that didn't work properly.
  • Version 0.1 (2005-03-29)
    • Initial release.
Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Last edited by L.Bridge on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dark
Journeyman
Location: USA, Washington (West Coast, not DC which some people in Europe confuse us with)

Post by Dark »

I'll try it Sounds cool :D
CURRENTLY HAVING TO RE-DO MY ENTIRE VORTEX DUNGEON AFTER MY HARDDRIVE FAILED ON ME... I only have the Graphics to START ON... >:(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Since RTC 0.37 is out, I thought I'd bump an RTC dungeon or two that might have got lost. Don't want to encourage this in others though - rather people bumped a dungeon thread cause they've just played the dungeon and think others would enjoy it!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ah, thanks for unearthing this. I had forgotten all about it!

Anyone been playing this?

Spoilers in tiny font:

I've gotten stuck around "Darr's Hideout." The slime devil disappeared (fled?) and I don't know where to go next.
L.Bridge
Novice

Post by L.Bridge »

Sophia,

If you're still stuck PM me and I'll give you some tips.

Lee.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

No, I've moved on. :D

Now tangling with Demons and, my arch-nemesis, Gigglers! I managed to get one of them to walk right into an incoming Demon fireball, once. That amused me greatly, but the little creep didn't die!
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

yes i recently battled a giggler for ages, it took god knows how many fireballs, and i hate them intensely, so it was rather frustrating, doubly so for someone easily frustratable like me, ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

Say, does anybody remember this dungeon? I think I'm stuck. I can't get across the two pits on the second level down (or through that buttonless door which accesses the same area). I think this is the only area left unexplored on levels one & two down, according to the Scroll Map, at least.

I've completed everything else I can find up to this point:
Darr's Hideout, traded 2 items in the first collection area, I've bested the Wizard Eye, & mapped all of Darr's House, the Monsters Only, and the "Fight or Think" areas. But I have no key to those fourth stairs down (lockpicks don't work on that one)
& my party is all but starving to death now. :roll:

Last edited by RicochetRita on Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

Okay, I think I found the clue I'd missed. Had to run through to with a fresh party to remind myself what'd been in that alcove by the door.

Now I just have to find where I left the item I suspect it's referring to... :oops:

RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

I'm much farther along in this one, and I've finally gotten that elusive Skeleton Key (which wasn't, in fact, lying on the floor somewhere).

Tricky dungeon, so far. A pretty good mix of monsters & puzzles.

Although, I'd swear that food consumption has been set higher. Even when we're unencumbered, I think we're burning through it much faster than the "normal" rate. This wouldn't be such a bother, if not for the slow respawn rate of the (oh so few) edible creatures.

Can't afford to waste any food on training in this one.

Hungry,

-R³
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Haven't played thsi one in a hile,and I don't think all the way through embarrassingly ...odd that food would burn through faster, the only thing that affects this is if you use an earlier engine, or if the difficulty is tweaked higher by importing characters

What consumes food is action though - so if you have higher level attack methods available sooner, or if you find you can race around the dungeon quickly due to no blockages, then you will correspondingly burn through food even if not encumbered
RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

Hrmm... config file Difficulty is zero and there was no importing in this one. It just gives you four characters from the start (no mirrors).

Maybe it's due to the size then. The levels (so far) have been 30x30, with no adjacent staircases. So, I probably am spending twice as much time running around, mapping, & thumping.

I almost never have to rest--can't afford the food, but there is usually enough mana by the time something comes up which requires large amounts of it.

TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

It could be that there is an issue with the new anti-hunger attribute.
What version are you playing with and what version was the dungeon originally compiled?
RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

I'm using the latest version, 0.43 I think.

According to the accompanying read-me file, the dungeon was compiled in March 2005, under RTC 0.34.

That's a bit of a gap.

TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

RTC 0.34 Was before the anti-hunger attribute existed.
Perhaps playing the dungeon under v0.43 makes the engine assume anti-hunger is zero.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds logical! Another backwards compatibility issue : (
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Can't download the dungeon to try it out!

Can someone email the RTC file and I'll see what's going on under the covers.
RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

Done.
L.Bridge
Novice

Post by L.Bridge »

Hello,

I'm please to see this has a few people playing it after all this time!

I also updated the link at the top of the page so other people can download this bad boy.

Rgs.
RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

Hooray, I've finished!

I think managed to complete all of the Objectives:
I found the characters' necklaces early on (but never figured out a use for them); I found/purchased both sets of armor & purchased all of the "Loot"; I killed Gea & the other "bosses"; released Lord Grey, I think; and killed the Mon Vexirk with a single fireball

Although, I'm not sure I figured out the entire Veptium puzzle.

This one was a lot of fun (other than that constant starvation problem I mentioned earlier... :wink: ) & it didn't take too long to complete--my time at the end showed ~16 hours.

Good work, Lee!

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

beowuuf wrote:
TheMorgil wrote:RTC 0.34 Was before the anti-hunger attribute existed.
Perhaps playing the dungeon under v0.43 makes the engine assume anti-hunger is zero.
Sounds logical! Another backwards compatibility issue : (
Nope - nothing wrong with the anti-hunger whatsoever.

When I played through, all the stats look just fine. I wonder then if the lack of food in the dungeon just makes it feel like the food is going down quickly (because the party is always hungry) rather than that it actually is...
RicochetRita
Novice

Post by RicochetRita »

It must've been due to the Dungeon's size, then. Once the characters' Food reached "yellow" it pretty much stayed there for the rest of the run. There was food to be found, but we burned through it pretty rapidly.

I was constantly running between the scant locations with edible creatures (and finding that only one or two ever respawned, since not enough time had passed). This yielded just enough food to bring everyone slightly out of 'yellow' but of course, by the time I returned to the lower levels starvation wasn't long behind.

Well, thanks for checking. I appreciate it.

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

SOmetimes it's best to live with the yellow with food (not water too though) and simply keep going on stamina potions until you find a suitable food area or have built up a nice feast
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Hmm. I'm stuck in this dungeon. I have (at least) two places I can't get past:
1-I need a second copper coin for generator II
2-I can't open the lockless door in the flying eye room <spoiler>(the one opposite a green button and next to a hidden switch. I already found the hidden darc plate.)</spoiler>

BTW for L.Bridge:
2 suggestions for bugfixes:
1-make the coin-bought prizes' coin slots only work once. (I put a second coin in and it ate it up)
2-in the place with the 4 teleporters, 4 pads, and 4 gates, don't let monsters activate the pads. You don't want your gates shutting behind you!
vexirk356
Craftsman

Re: New RTC Dungeon: Vexirk Catacomb

Post by vexirk356 »

Anyone still playing this game as I am stuck and need some hints.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not for a while, but I have played it - where are you stuck?
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

Hi beowolf

I am on the 3rd of 4th level. There a 2 coin slots that need copper coins. I have put one coin in the slot which has open up a small room with a red button. After pressing this it opens up one of the 3 transparent doors. Also on this level is a lockless door. A button is in the wall by the door and there is also a green rectangular buton on the wall. I have pressed both of these but it doesn't open the door. I have also blasted and hacked at it. In a much larger room on this level there is an alcove with a necklace in. When you grab the necklace it set off a gas cloud. I have managed to get this. In this room there is a rectangular button which opens and closes this alcove, I don't know if it does anything else though. After I got the necklace I took it back up to an earlier level where I put it in an alcove where there was a scroll which had the name of the necklace on. This opens up an other door by the coin slots. Leaving me one more door to open which then leads to a set of stairs going down. The other scrolls in the upper level also ask for a skeleton key (which I haven't found) and corbamite (which I also haven't found). Hope that this gives you some idea where I am stuck and any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hi!

Hmm, sorry, it's not ringing any bells I'm afraid - I guess it must be too long ago :(

If you need any help with Nightkin, Dark Portal, or Conflux III, I know those! :D

Hopefully someone else's memory will be jogged...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hi! I'm currently gathering information about what versions have been used for each custom dungeon and also I'm trying to backup all dungeon data available.

Can you confirm that Vexirk Catacomb was designed with RTC V0.33? The thread indicates that it may have been RTC V0.34, but since the RTC file I have can be opened with RTC V0.33 too I guess it was made with RTC 0.33.

Would you maybe be willing to provide the source files for backup purposes? Of course you'd still decide alone whether they would be uploaded publicly or just backupped non-publicly.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi,
I am playing this dungeon and have finished a lot of tasks: all 4 necklaces, killed Gea and Darr, purchased all RA-armour, got almost all of Darc-armour (except a helmet), killed everyone on the VIPTIUM-level (a lot of guardians and 1 thief), killed all vexirx on the vexirx-level (except there is the master-vexirk somewhere at the end/centre).
What I miss:
- I cannot find the bones of VEPTIUM, have no idea what to do with the 2 gems, and what for is there the blue haze in the centre of Veptium-cavern. Any hint (maybe per PM or hidden "antispoiler" answer)?
- I see no sense of the button in the huge hounds-room. It closes the gangway with the neclace, but what for?...
- Before the entry to the place where I should put both bones (Darr and Veptium) there are 2 empty torch-hook. If I place a torch there, the torch disappears... I tried it with even 5 torches - and no effect. Just a bug or a funny torch-recycling-place?...

BTW: I someone has a problem with food, I suggest the following:
- playing the first 3 levels to get around and make a map - so you know them properly. Then starting over a new game - and you save a lot of time and food, since you know the places - and there are several rooms and ways where there is nothing interesting, so one can skip them in the second tour.
- there are places, where munchers or magenta worms respawn (the beginning, or in the lowest level), maybe it works even on the hounds-level.