[Custom dungeon] The Rookery [RTC] [DMDM a.k.a Mindstone]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Ah, thanks for the comments Beowuuf. Im glad you enjoyed it. The end was a bit of anti-climax, i have to admit I rushed the last level.

Anyway, Im working on something new and alot more epic. It'll be up in a few weeks hopefully.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: My first RTC dungeon- The rookery

Post by Lunever »

For the current backup gathering:

Can you confirm that this dungeon too has been completely designed with RTC V0.33?

Would you maybe willing to provide source files for backup purposes? Of course it's still your decision alone whether they would be released publicly or whether they would be just backupped non-publicly.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi,
I just started playing "The Rookery" and have a problem with a wall button - dont know is it a bug or a puzzle:

From the room with 4 doors (north with antmen and snake, east with 4 blue gems, south with vorpal blade), I choose the west door.
After killing the knight, I got an advice to skip fighting any monsters and to head north-east. OK, I did.
Then I got the message: "The Rookery is down the left corridor...", so I went there, then a door was opened for me, and finally before I reach a teleporter the message: "I am dying Yagharr... However I will return you home..."
So I enter the teleporter, and arrive in a "L"-formed hall in (north, then east). With two endings. No doors, no fake walls. Just one button on the lower part of the northern ending. But pressing the button doesnt work! I cant hear any sound, and nothing happens, there is no exit?!

Please give me a hint: is it a bug, is there antother way to exit this part, or have I forgotten something, so I have to do something different before?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I’ve never played this, but given it was created on a much earlier version of RTC (0.33) I wouldn’t rule out a bug (I’m assuming you’re using 0.49).

Not sure how RTC is on compatibility between versions.
You could pm minstone, but I don’t know if he’s still around.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Is there any chance to download an earlier version of RTC (The Rookery was created in 2005), and try my savegame there?

And I fear Minstone is no more around... :-(
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

To be honest, I’m just guessing at the reason.
Looking at the development history, saves are backward compatible through different versions, but that’s not to say that the way certain actions work hasn’t changed over time.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23449

I’ve never seen older versions archived anywhere, but could be wrong.
Of the people still around that you might ask, Christophe is admin, and maybe Sophia could know. No harm asking.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

luke41 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 pm Is there any chance to download an earlier version of RTC (The Rookery was created in 2005), and try my savegame there?

And I fear Minstone is no more around... :-(
Hey adventurer! Can't believe people are still playing these creations so many years on :)

I could possibly dig up the original files and find out what happened, but it is immensely unlikely! All my old passwords and such are long forgotten. However I do know that it is possible to download oooooooooold versions of RTC, which may help.

All my old games, whilst flawed, were fairly vigourously playtested so you would never be left in the lurch.

Anyhow I am now working on a new game :)
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Thanks, but after several trials and fails, trying different download files with differen RTC-versions, it worked and I finished the dungeon some time ago!
But, yes, I like to discover old dungeons here on the forum - a lot of them a worth trying even after 15 years! Especially for a "traditionalist" like me who likes DM1-tiles and designs.
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Haha glad to hear it pal :)

I am also a traditionalist in that sense. Couldn't play DM2 because it was too outdoorsy and I couldn't stand most of the new graphics!

Fortunately I am working on a new dungeon now, which will make up for the folly of my youthful self! Those silly dungeons and their silly names were great for coming up with mechanics and learning to use the engine, but not the kind of thing I want to produce.

My new story-based thriller shall make up for this. Watch this space :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

"traditionalist" has me thinking
keep your gor coin handy