The Two Lovers - RTC dungeon

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: The Two Lovers - RTC dungeon

Post by Lunever »

Backup: http://cid-5af78f9a064bada7.skydrive.li ... ers-45.zip

Hi! I'm currently making a list what custom dungeon is compatible with what engine version.

For 2Lovers the Encyclopaedia says RTC V0.45, and the releases dates and the thread above also suggests that it was created in V0.44 and then updated to V0.45.

EDIT: Seems I used at first an older V0.43 version. Still - Can you please verify the engine version?

Also, I'm gathering dungeon data in order to preserve them and prevent data loss.
Would you maybe be willing to provide source files for backup purposes? Of course still you alone decide whether they shall be released publicly or not.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

I'd love to supply the files - this was built using 0.45 - will try and rebuild with 0.49 if you prefer.
let me know where you;d like the original files sent - just your email? (it's not a big game)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Great! I already got a couple of source files from other dungeon designers, might add up to a cool open source libarary in the end.

You can send them to me via email - my name here at gmail dot com.

Please specify whether you want me to backup them only locally, or whether I can upload them publicly too.

PS: If you'd take the time to update the dungeon to 0.49 in addition, of course that'd be a good thing - after all it seems that V0.49 will stay the final version.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

*bump*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why did you bump this??? PM him if he's around! Infact it would be easier to PM everyone instead of actually writing in the threads and constantly flooding old ones up the forum at the expense of losing active new ones. New dungeons and question threads for the new dungeons keep getting pushed downwards already without bumping threads!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yeah well, you're right in this case. But generally for other dungeons sometimes someone comes up with information or files who isn't the author.
Still, if it's getting in the way of important forum news, I'll find some other means of dealing with old custom dungeons.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I suppose others can have file, but I would prefer you to bump knocked 'current' dungeon threads if they start getting too low down the page.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, I'm almost through with the RTC dungeons anyway, I'll see to it that I don't repeat this procedure for other clones.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

update: this is the version I wanted shared as it removes that 'regeneration' bug [Vexirks constantly casting 'heal' on the party]

RTC DUNGEON: TWO LOVERS (C)2006
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hm2n7o676t2d ... a.zip?dl=0
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hey boyflea, glad to see you back here. I'm gonna have a go at your dungeon. RTC has come a long way since 2006\2010, v.49 is pretty stable, a few bugs left, most have be fixed. you may want to review what you can do with the dungeon. do you have any more bugs to fix? if you think I can help, pm me.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

thanks!

however, to clarify - this is NOT a new version - this is the proper original 2006/7 version.
originally posted a version for v.048 whereby teh NPCs constantly zapped you and healed up you: so you were always regenerating and not dying.

this version has that done: proud to say it's one of GG's final fixes

be warned, I suspect the RTC version becomes a massive grind and you may starve before you level-up enough to beat the final levels...

maybe I'll balance this version too one day :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

it's not a grind if the player does not sleep much but instead uses the axe :twisted: i'll be checking it out if I can get past the pain I am in. hurts to type :(

happy you're rekindled :)
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

pain? well hope you are better soon dude - seriously, my dungeon is not worth self-harm :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I got to playing it yesterday. I enjoyed every bit of it. I am at "the exit and the treasures are being watched. you did a great job on the vexirks, you controlled them very well during their battle, I have only two characters, after finding the rats I am now topped up with food again. I have not slept much, very little. water is plenty, food source is still not confirmed, not sure if those rats will come back. you put a lot of txt in the game, helps with the story. I found the puzzles easy enough, a nube will find this dungeon a challenge. considering you had this done 8 years ago I found it well under control. since I have the dragon sword I was able to kick the tar out of any monster encounter 4x4 style, ran away a few times when there where to many monsters. fireballs still kill me 90% if I get hit which is practically never :mrgreen:

the pain I am in makes it hard for me to use my arms, difficult let me tell you, a stupid disease called costochodritis, hurts, can't eat much, can't move much, can drink though :lol: all from an inflamed rib bone, go figure. I won't have it stop me playing the two lovers, which I have SOO and oh, I forget, but yeah, I played until I got tired yesterday. I didn't think a game made that long ago had such an appeal. it is linear. I kept clicking on a monster hoping I'd get a conversation going, none yet. not sure if .45 had info screens.
the hardest part I think was the alcove with the
Spoiler
helmets, added some time, I already had tried a red helmet with no luck
I noticed some giggler sounds stepping on trip plates and triggers. is that to tell the player or you on your programming?

if you don't mind saying, where did you come up with the Two Lovers story?

overall I recommend this dungeon to everyone, it has a little bit of everything in it, it's interesting, and i want to get back and kill that dragon I saw, I think I saw 2, anyway, thanks for the fun game. i'll play it some more today.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Cool - you are promoted to QA Lead, Mr Chaos shaman. :) - thanks for the recommendation - makes me want to replay it myself now too!
(it is odd, playing it again after the DSB version - they are similar but different)

yes, interactive screens were goign to be part of this one too, something DSB would need work to provide, as they would add significant NPC interaction.
NPCs are different on RTC than DSB: there is a lot already built into RTC to provide for these, whereas in the DSB version, I've had to create mindless zombies that fling ZO spells: but to be fair, I did not want to spend too much time on them and in DSB changed their role to 'prisoner' rather than 'freedom fighting ally' - so DSB adapts them to suit the purpose. RTC however has the secrets and scorecards available as part of the deliverable.

I guess I could update RTC version to mimic DSB version now, to really compare them - but suspect I may just go mad: I keep finding that the main story is quite short and well-contained enough that it is far too easy to add things to it. Perhaps time for another project.

Story: I seem to put stories together where you have to unite people. Easy to setup an expectation if you establish something right at the start for the player to get back to: foreshadowing I think they call it.
Spoiler
What is not obvious though is that there are 6 playable characters to collect in the RTC version, so you should be able to assemble a nice team even if you don't follow the main plot objective: you gain 1 secret from uniting the two heroes from this story, but not much else.

for DSB version, considered this approach a bit weak, so split into three objectives.
Hmm... I think I will replay RTC again soon. It is setup to be a fast-n-furious romp rather than a long-term dungeon crawl like the originals. Look how many RTC dungeons tehre are and ask yourself this: how long cna you reasonably ask someone to commit to your game? I think a few solid days worth of play is about the maximum, even a day for someone to complete yet feel compelled to revisit to get all teh secrets is great.

So glad that you have played this - and thanks again for your feedback.

Hope medically you are able to recover ok, or at least become more comfortable long-term. Best wishes on that front - pain is not a fun thing.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

PS:
Spoiler
I promise never again to include a puzzle where you strip off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... HNE8#t=631
rather disturbing trend I have with puzzles. Sorry.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

finished the game, then saw how much I missed and found the other key and finished the other side, WELL DONE. I had some troubles at first with the good guys killing me but I am use to that with the ai test dungeon. I handled the gigglers and Seth was an easy kill, I used up two weapons and then used the sword to finish him off. what were the flux cages for? I use a bunch of coins but didn't understand what I was doing. all in all this game reminded me of the original in so many ways.

the ai project could use your help, I think we'd be able to help each other with concept. it'd give Claude and I great pleasure to have your help. gee, if you did this 8 years ago you must be able to put together a blaster of a dungeon now.

thanks for the game, I thoroughly enjoyed it, even with the pain, now I'm off to drink a couple bottles of wine and i'll feel good I beat that dungeon, united the lovers and am happy. here are some stats

first end:
SALAZAR score 132
time, 5hrs 24m
fireballs 69
thrust 491
swing 153
fright 498
game save 88
chop 264
vi 60
steps 7797

second end: took 7hrs 53m

thank you
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

thanks for playing. i appreciate you taking the time to play this verson. the ai does interest me too.

let me know iwhat you think of the dsb version, should you ever get a chance to play.

Dave
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

great dungeon. I look forward to your future ones. let me know if you'd like to help out, time is always a factor for everyone. right now I am being squeezed, my normal activities are catching up with me cause I can't move much. plan on getting stuff done over the winter. learning sketchup, combining it with gimp, it'll be graphics this winter, last winter it was ai.

how long did it take to convert a RTC file to a DSB file? I am curious.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

to avoid spam, you can check out all the info on the other thread: there is a summary near the bottom. [approx 16MD.]
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 94#p146194
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Dave, I have a new idea for you to check out. Town Travel. I think you'll find it interesting. are you going to build another dungeon?
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

this was fun to do, but I'm not in a hurry to create more dungeons.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

oh, are you interested in what is coming up? the Town Travel is quite a change to what we're use to. we could use your help in a few areas as you have a greater understanding than I have with programming by a 1,000,000 times. I have questions you'd probably answer nicely. even a little help is better than nothing. it's nice to know there is help out there, I can't find much of it I'm afraid.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Am sure Town Travel would be cool:
can imagine that you would utilise something like the full-screen image option to show a map layout and have towns as buttons that you click-upon.
You could then have alternate wall-sets to illustrate outdoor environments too.

it would be a cool story-telling gimmick and useful game-hub. However, this in itself would only compliment a main game.
what was it you were thinking about?

like a 'Wild bunch' adventure game where you have random encounters between dungeons? maybe...
anyway, sounds like you have a head full of ideas still. :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

just as you said, there is a walkthrough that is arrow directed, the houses can be clicked on which brings the party in front of the house (needs better graphics) but this spot is using the dungeon, so the party jumps in and out of info screen and dungeon mode, this gives the party a chance to use items that can't be touched in the info screen. each house has a name, such as The House of Gothmog. there the party can try to break in, use keys, whatever. there is a complete jail, get caught and you serve time and it is rigged to a counter that is read as is the party turning good or bad, so if one wants to become evil and use the evil ways they'll need to do evil things, second direction the party can take. everything is hooked to a counter, so it's all under control. this is my first attempt at it, so far so good. i'll do a better numbering job next time. Banville has around 40 homes, their homes are not built yet, just the mechanisms are in place, I need to know the story about every character if there is any out there in order to construct the home\dungeon. info screens can be animated so I got lots of ideas to try. this time of year is always busy but am I ever excited about it. plenty of map ideas. I will do that when I get a new video card after Christmas.

again you're right, this is an add on to DM, not a change, just a new way to travel. DM is still DM in the dungeons. all I wanted to do was be able to put that map the Claude is creating and all his awesome work in DM, and now it looks like we can, even animated.

I have note pads of ideas that I need to read over, 5 or so. this latest idea really helped me find RTCs bugs, I know how to get around some of the bad ones. to me I think the feel is going to be more like Elder Scrolls, not as good graphically in movement, but RTCs mechanics is so powerful it should not be compared to Elder Scrolls.

when you work on your next dungeon, let Claude and I know, he's really good at drawing and i have a few tricks that may help. after New Years I will be doing building all day for a couple of months so there will be time. i'll send you the Banville dungeon I am working on, just working on the text, also working on how to flow the forest view into the Banville city, done soon. I need sound too.

thanks for all your interest :D

p.s I apologize for this message in the two lovers forum, I will delete it if you like.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'll move these town travel posts over to your main thread later this evening, I can't do that from work. :-)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

From the recent excitement about this old game, I played it.
A pretty good game. I played the RTC version.
I used only one character up to the bit where I choose to get the other lover.
I finished the game with the two lovers and I have found 8 / 12 secrets.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

sweet. :) thanks for the interest! :) both versions feature more than 4 playable characters to assemble your party from, the DSB version is subtly different (and a bit more colourful) while the RTC is a bit more basic but has some nice NPC interaction and better 'score-keeping' facilities: so thanks, appreciate this is a short dungeon with minor puzzles but lots of combat: levels 2-4 are still pretty awful looking back, but hey it was my first dungeon, :)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The RTC version I played has only 12 secrets.
The package I downloaded has the source included. I see 4 eye switches in the source, however, in-game I only see 3, the door doesn' t open.
Near the "A price on their heads" there is a door to a secret, I was enable to open.
Spoiler
Is the trick to go there after 2 heads ?
I made teleporting pads ( red/black floor stars ) appear but I did not find the trick to activate them. Is there a hint in the game ?
Cheating with the source I understood
Spoiler
there is only one way to finish the game with the two lovers, only one way to get the second emerald key
. Did I miss something ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

omg - er... it was 2007... send me screengrabs, :)

eye things:
Spoiler
there was a door with 4 eye switches, one door? ... i relly cannot remember, where abouts was this?
price on their heads:
Spoiler
ok: yes, in the DSB version ('Two Lovers Redux') the hint was renamed to 'a price on their four heads': you get 4 helmets from the 4 guards... but the 5th opens the secret gate...
teleporting pads:
Spoiler
I think I just used them as graphics - I have yet to play DM2 (I know) so just stole the artwork - I am pretty sure they do not activate... was ths in the big chambers at the bottom? I may have used them as spawn points...
I may have to reload the RTC editor to help you with some of this you know... :)
wow... am so happy though: you really want to beat it :)

endings:
Spoiler
there is a way to kill the dragon and free the lovers, and no it does not matter which one you do first: however to get a replacement emerald key needs you to perform some further questing... actually, if you do everything, you will end up with a spare emerald key at the very end, :)