[Custom dungeon] Eye of the Beholder [RTC] [Remma12]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Remma12
Novice

[Custom dungeon] Eye of the Beholder [RTC] [Remma12]

Post by Remma12 »

Version: V0.90 for RTC V0.49
Platform: RTC
Author: Remma 12
Date published: 2009, April 8
Date last updated: 2009, April 13

Notes:
My attempt at recreating Westwood's Eye of the Beholder for RTC
Well I did this for DMJ a few years ago and recently started playing with the RTC editor and figured..why not. Wow, it was a lot of work lol.

Anyway, I've tried to remain as faithful as possible to the original within the confines of the engine, the intro is in as is the original Amiga outro.
All 12 special quests are in with a surprise if you complete them all =)
The only major change was the magic system (understandably).
Other changes are minor, things like moving a switch slightly etc.
Xanathar's level didn't turn out looking quite as well as I would have liked unfortunately =( Also I had to make his pedstals into tables otherwise RTC would have had the items floating in mid-air!
The only bug I know of is the two alcoves on the 8th and 9th levels where you trade a key for a gem and vice-versa, if it doesn't work first time then remove the item and replace it then hit the switch again.

This is a Beta release, meaning it's playable but may need some tweaking here and there, I'm too close to the project to do it on my own though so please give me your feedback,

Thanks and Enjoy, Remma

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Des
Um Master

Re: [RTC] Eye fo the Beholder

Post by Des »

Cool! Downloaded it and looking forward to playing it soon :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Will add an alternate non-advert link and also include it in the dungeon list tomorrow

Well done!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

first impression is WOAH !!! impressive work.
i think my weekend is already planned...
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Remma12
Novice

Post by Remma12 »

Awesome, thanks guys.

Oh and Linflas, thank you SO much for rtwm, it ROCKS!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Provided an alternate advert-free download through DM.com, hope you don't mind!
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Few days ago i finished playing again EoB2 and am happy to see EoB remake on RTC. Game load around 3-5 minutes probably because its weight. Begining is different, and follow usual DM style, but later it look very similar to Eob1 (you have build exacly the same maps as EoB or modified?) Even when click on sever grate its shown message, and going up.. going down.. this is nice details especially falling rocks in corridor at "truly" begining. Most surprise for me was intro, i dont known before that exist RTC option to play movie file. Wallset are ok, maybe little blur, monsters and items also good. I like small fonts on scrolls, much more message fit here than usual. Only interface have something wrong, too bright colours.
Remma12
Novice

Post by Remma12 »

The maps are exact copies of the original, the only bit I added in was lvl 0 which is really only there to house the HoC for obvious reasons
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Great stuff, Remma. I think that This was the first game my parents ever bought for me on my PC!
Played a couple of levels, they look great. I don't know if the poison value for the worms is too high - my dude was bitten and he never shook off the poison then died from having half his HP.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i noticed "front 2" wall problem in your wallsets. the walls are flipped when "2" bitmaps are displayed, comparing to "1" and "3". it's a known RTC feature/issue.
to adujst that, you have to flip all front2, left2 and right2 bitmaps with any paint program and then rename left to right and right to left.
i guess you must do it for all wallsets in the game.
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

Got down a couple of levels and I was running out of food and water very fast. When you come across the frogs coming one after another - well you might as well give up there and then as it becomes more or less IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

my best character is Liam and is not
Spoiler
strong enough to kick the door that must be hacked, even with strength potion
Remma12
Novice

Post by Remma12 »

linflas wrote:my best character is Liam and is not
Spoiler
strong enough to kick the door that must be hacked, even with strength potion
Just
Spoiler
click the door
Dind't know about that bug =( I'll have a look at it later on
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

It's good, but very, very hard! I had to sneak past the lizards!

I like the fact that you can now close doors on monsters and take damage from banging into walls, you couldn't in the original EOB. The sound is also good.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Wow, sounds great! I'm a bit short on time right now, so it will probably be some time before I can finally try this out, but I'm really looking forward to it!
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

I must say, this is a pretty good conversion. You've used RTC very creatively here. Including the text file was a nice touch; it lets newbie RTC editors see what you did, without giving away all your hard work on the graphics!

The download from the DM site didn't work for me, only Remma's original did.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, do you mean the file is damaged or the link is bad? I just clicked on it, and definitely got the file, it seemed fine. I hope this is not some odd quirk of browsers or the server!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

File was damaged.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

:(

I'll re-upload it, I might be playing with the original and not the DM.com download
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Pretty slick conversation from what I can see, though I've not got too far and it was EOTB2 not 1 I have previously played.

Some clever overlaps between the EOTB engine and DM engine to make it all work.

I'm on the spider/dwarf level just now. I forget how the portals work. Is the stone portal supposed to be dormant to the stone sceptre, as the stone sceptre takes takes you back to the spider level? also, the oracle of knowledge seems to do nothing. I thought it might identify items (like the green 'potion' ). Does it only identify scrolls or give clues for a certain item only?

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I just had a quick play of the first part of the sewers, treated myself to a bit of RTC time!

Looks very good so far. Great to see the old EOB graphics used in the DM engine. I noticed a few problems visually that could be improved on, but I guess these don't affect the playability too much. (Items don't sit inside alcoves properly, the side view of champions mirrors have the wrong perspective and the shading of far objects is inconsistent with the shading of the walls: doors are too bright for example)

Loved that you got the intro in! A couple of comments on that: the music isn't right. Some of the notes all end up the same pitch. Are you using a MOD file or did you convert to MP3? If you converted, then the player you used is not playing it correctly. If you exit the intro early the tune continues playing for ages, is that intentional? Finally, the intro images are not fully scaled x2 from the originals, so they look a bit "scratchy". You could scale these up by a factor of 2 perfectly, and they would look much clearer -- and you could also optimise the palettes better in that case, since you'd be using solid colours with no interpolation; this would help keep the filesizes down.

Just some tips, I'm pretty pedantic about stuff like that. :) Good job though, definitely evokes the mood of the original, and I've had my ass kicked by a bunch of kobolds already! Not sure about magic yet, I haven't found anything that lets me use it, so I hope I find something soon!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can find the spellbook, looks like EOTB, acts like RTC. Mage scrolls then transcribe runes in to the book!

Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

beowuuf wrote: also, the oracle of knowledge seems to do nothing. I thought it might identify items (like the green 'potion' ). Does it only identify scrolls or give clues for a certain item only?
You need to put
Spoiler
an Orb of Power
into the alcove for it to identify all items you are currently carrying (well that's the way it worked in the original EOB anyway).
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Stunning work, going to give a thorough play tonight!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Been playing for a while now, very impressed. As mentioned above, it has that feel of the original and must have taken a lot of effort. However a couple of things....

- The HOC. needs a bit more work I think, as are some pretty dud characters and a couple that are much better than the rest.

- Food and especially water is rare

- Those green frogs that belch lightning are too powerful!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Seem to be stuck - can't find the key for the door at 26,7/06. Looked at the map, but it doesn't appear to be there.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Restarted, and on the last dwarf level - wgen I descend to the drows it often crashes, and I have noticed that casting a stamin potion gives a shield.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Most impressive!

Since I'm currently gathering version information and backup data for the custom dungeon -

You already made available the text source file - would you maybe also provide the media ripped for RTC-EoB for backup purposes? Of course you retain the decision about what is just backupped non-publicly and what is released publicly.

Can you confirm that RTC-EoB has been completely made with RTC V0.49?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
terkio
Mon Master

Re: [RTC] Eye of the Beholder

Post by terkio »

I gave a try to this [RTC] EoB.
Am still wading in the sewers.
I am stuck at a deadly frog like creature. Just one fire spit and I have three dead ones.
My party has little power, does not have the runes for Ful Bro Neta neither Ful Ir.
Has anyone reached that place ? Is it a boss at the end of the sewer levels ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: [RTC] Eye of the Beholder

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I remember those guys from the original EoB, those would be the Kuo-Toa, and in EoB they shot a weak lightning bolt spell in addition to their physical attack. If just 1 of them's killing you that easily then it may be that the power of their fireball attack was set too high for the level. There may also be areas where monsters re-spawn above, if I remember correctly, if so try leveling up there. I think it may be on the level with the undead creatures.