[Custom dungeon] Escape! - III - Zombie-Master [RTC] [Stuart "Mon Ful Ir" Marshall ]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
vexirk356
Craftsman

Re: Escape 3.0 - demo

Post by vexirk356 »

I have now managed to get past the race track and have found the blue knight (or whatever you call him). He is the one where you step into the small room and you have to kill him to get the key to get out again. Boy is he fast and tough. Has anyone any hints for spells or weapons to defeat this thing.
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

That's the end boss. Some spells are more effective than others, but you shouldn't be able to take him down just by blasting him; it's a question of hacking him down in melee.

When he's dead, you've basically finished the demo. (You can find the pit that leads into the deeper dungeon, but it's a fake pit in the demo -- it'll be a real one in the release -- so all there is left to do is climb out.)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

vexirk356 wrote:Has anyone any hints for spells or weapons to defeat this thing.
Yes.
Spoiler
You must be faster.
:D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
vexirk356
Craftsman

Post by vexirk356 »

Thanks Jan!! :oops:
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Anyone found a problem, issue, or other thing I need to fix?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I'm afraid I didn't have time to get back to this. But I promise I'll do that later! I'd really like to finish it - to know if it's better than Esc. 2 - and Esc 2. was a great game! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

I'm not sure if it was intentional but the lighting does weird things at some points, I think caused by the 'time this carefully' area, locations = between the dagger and throwing star launchers, and I think again in the first part of the worms area where the tree is in the middle.

I think at one point I was attacked by a monster/worm or knight in a wall, it may have been a fake wall mind you with a party teleporter in it, as when I turned around there was no monster, but when I moved it appeared (could have been in the weird wall area)

I had a lot of keys left over, either I didn't need them, or most likely missed something (again).

In some places I put torches back in their sconce and they just keep disappearing, not sure if I needed more of them, or something has already happened, and if it has already happened should they still disappear? Location = the sconce before going down stairs, the sconces under all thoses moving pits, the club thing is fine (as it keeps the dungeon clean), and one of the holes near the spiders kept eating my rocks (if that did anything else).

Are there other 'evil' acts, as my hero was good and then turned neutral at some point, didn't use any of the bones.
Apart from endings (in the full game) is there any other benefit of being good? I thought there may have been more bones, either dropped by some monsters or created zombies and you use these to make other bigger bones to create you zombies.
I know those pipes come with a warning but I didn't expect my main character to be dismissed, is there going to be a special ending if you escape as a/the zombie?
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Hmm. The lighting effects are caused by fireballs going off within a few squares, and they're part of the RTC code. I could disable the fireballs once you're through, but I deliberately didn't because I wanted clever players to be able to lure worms back into the fireball area to kill them. Did anyone else find them bothersome?

There are various places where monsters are teleported around, and it would help me to know what kind of monster it was. Worms can't (literally, cannot) get into the Weird Walls area: there are no worms on that level and no teleporters that could conceivably move them there. Surprise attacks by knights are entirely possible there... but are you sure it wasn't hiding in an illusory wall?

I'd also be glad if someone else could confirm issues with the torch sconces, because I've only been able to replicate that with the one sconce (fixed for the release, I think).

Yes, there are other evil acts. The most likely one is leaving Yvonne chained to a wall to starve while you save yourself...

Being good is the "hard" setting, and being evil is a bit easier. Goodness comes with no other in-game benefits, but you might find it beneficial for your self-esteem. :)

I can't figure out a coding way to prevent you from dismissing the main character if you do the wrong things, which is why there are plenty of warnings to help you figure out how to use the pipes correctly. Maybe if George Gilbert comes back, I can ask him for help.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Mon Ful Ir wrote:...I can't figure out a coding way to prevent you from dismissing the main character...
would that be similar to the 'specific character floor text' problem.

I'm guessing your pipes to dismiss have an attack method that targets a relay which activates the action remove character from party. Could the relay be set to triggering = Character and Character = zombie; a counter may need to be thrown in there, before the action, if two relays are needed/used.

question about Rusters: my character had a Head_basinet rust, but when the rust was removed it turned into a armet/plate helm. Not a big problem and I think this may take a lot of relays and cloned armour to eliminate.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Yeah, that's also unfixable, unfortunately. Sorry.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I'm currently making a list about which custom dungeons work best with which engine version.

Can you confirm that Escape III has been completely created, compiled and playtested in RTC V0.49?

Would you maybe be willing to provide source files for backup purposes? Of course still you alone decide whether they shall be released or not.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Escape III is based on Escape II, which was written in 0.46. It was expanded, compiled and thoroughly playtested in 0.49.

I'm afraid I no longer have the source files.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

To bad that there's no source anymore. Thanks for the information anyway.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Nomead
Neophyte

Post by Nomead »

There had to be yuckie well made
Spoiler
spiders
cocoetnono
Journeyman

Post by cocoetnono »

hello everybody!
cool dungeon! But i'm stuck, i don't find the pit area and the rust in peace area...
Can someone help me please?
bruno
Felix18807
Neophyte

Post by Felix18807 »

Hi Dungeon Master folk. What an amazing website I can't believe I only just discovered it...

I have 2 issues with Escape 3.

1) It's just too good
2) I've spent hours in the deja vu section and I'm losing my mind. Has anyone sucessfully navigated this section?

Thanks
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks Mon Ful Ir, this is the kind of dungeon I like. :D

I understand I played the demo.
I had the same endings, wether I was neutral or good.
I found the pit to the deeper dungeon, "faked".

I like this dungeon so much. Is the release available ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Felix18807 wrote:Hi Dungeon Master folk. What an amazing website I can't believe I only just discovered it...

1) It's just too good
2) I've spent hours in the deja vu section and I'm losing my mind. Has anyone sucessfully navigated this section?

Thanks
1) Yes, it is.
2) You mean, the area with pillars and teleporters.
Indeed, it is difficult. I think there is no way to solve it wandering randomly.
I solved it the hard way.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Felix18807 wrote:Hi Dungeon Master folk. What an amazing website I can't believe I only just discovered it...

1) It's just too good

Thanks
Welcome to the forum! 8)

I hope you will enjoy this community and help make it an even better place to be.

I just started Escape 3, and am enjoying it so far. I like the new collection of monsters, so far.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I've made it to the "daja vu" area myself now, and it is tricky. I took a couple of cracks at it but didn't get through it. Of course, it was late and I was getting too tired to take on something this difficult at the time. So far I've found the puzzles to be challenging but solvable with the clues given in the game. I like this and find it to be a sign of good design when most people seem to be able to solve the puzzles and traps without having to constantly pester the developer or others who have already made it past them for answers.

Congrats Mon FUl Ir, you've made a winner here and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of what the Escape 3.0 demo has in store for me. I hope you continue to work on this and produce a finished version of it soon.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The "deja vu" puzzle.

For you guys, in case you like to crack challenging puzzles, I made three RTC micro dungeons.

The original "deja vu". http://twinfalls.free.fr/dejavu/Dejavu0.RTC

The same puzzle but teleporters are less confusing.
Easier :) http://twinfalls.free.fr/dejavu/Dejavu1.RTC
Easiest :) :) http://twinfalls.free.fr/dejavu/Dejavu2.RTC

Enjoy.
Shawax
Novice

Post by Shawax »

Hi everybody,

I just finished the game and wanted to post a quick review.

I found the game rather pleasant, original and, for me, it's not really a demo : it's a real game (even if, as mentioned above, there is only one ending possibility and the pit which i supposed to lead to deeper levels is not real), maybe not as long as DM or CSB, but still a real game !

Anyway, I agree to tell that the size of the levels certainly seem bigger than it is. When starting the game, it was a bit difficult to know what has to be done and where to go but the structure of the dungeon seemed (to me) rather clear and linear after finishing the first two levels. I found that fair enough.

The new monsters gallery is impressive, the sound track is also great (where are the different songs music from ?) which contributes to create the atmosphere. I found that the difficulty of the game was just well balanced, even if, at the very beginning of the game, you should be very careful if you don't want to die ;).

Like some people above, I noticed minor troubles with torchs you can put on walls (they just disappear but nothing apparently happens) :
- at first level, in a corridor next to the stairs leading to deeper level
- at the room (under a lot of pits whom some are moving ones)

Thanks to Mon Ful Ir for that game and I will certainly play the non-demo version when it's released!
Last edited by Shawax on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Shawax wrote:Like some people above, I noticed minor troubles with torchs you can put on walls (they just disappear but nothing apparently happens) :
- at first level, in a corridor new to the stairs leading to deeper level
- at the room (under a lot of pits whom certain are moving ones)
I've noticed that as well. I've also seen this in other dungeons, and had this happen in my own dungeon as well. I think this may be related to an RTC bug. I did some experimenting with this and it seems to happen when you use a DM2 torch sconce, which is designed to be paired with the DM2 torches and when a torch is inserted it lights up, and can trigger a light object to have a torch in its sconce create light. If the scones has a torch in it at the beginning of the game this works perfectly, but if it is empty at the start, the sconce breaks and just destroys any torches inserted in it. The only solution I know of is to either have a torch in all DM2 sconces or clones of DM2 sconces, or use the original DM sconces if you aren't looking for the torch to light up when inserted into a sconce.
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Terkio's post in the other forum prompted me to come back to this thread.

Gosh, Escape 3 has suddenly got popular! I released the demo four years ago and it didn't seem to attract much interest at the time. Now it's got some people playing it! Thank you all for your kind words.

I've discovered that I can't do the rest of Escape 3 using the RTC engine. It simply won't work----the engine can't cope with the ideas I have. (I want basilisks and medusas and cockatrices that actually turn you to stone, and mind flayers that mind blast you or eat your brain, and beholders with lots of different spell attacks as well as a nasty bite, and whole levels that are underwater, among rather a lot else.) Escape 3 is going to remain a demo forever... the next release will be Escape 4.

Because RTC can't do what I want, I'm learning DSB. Or rather, I started learning DSB two years ago, and Sophia has helped me a lot with it. (In the DSB forum there's a long thread that leads up to what I call my "code library"----at this early stage, it's just a sort of monster zoo, where you can wander around looking at all the trapped creatures, with some new gear piled up here and there to play with. There aren't any puzzles or mazes or exits yet, or any real progression.)

Anyway, I intend to re-design the whole thing, get rid of some things that I don't think worked (like the alignment business) but add in plenty of other cool stuff. Unfortunately a small accident has just destroyed some of the work I did on it, but thanks to this thread I feel all appreciated and motivated to write some more dungeon code now! :)

Shawax asked where the music came from. The opening music is Deionarra's Theme ripped from Planescape: Torment. Much of the rest of it is by Kevin McLeod and you can download it free from here if you wish.
Shawax
Novice

Post by Shawax »

Thank you for the music info as I really appreciated it while playing!

And, above all, good luck for your re-design project: the task is certainly hard but be sure that some people will enjoy it when it's over ;)
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

How do you get past the pit on level 2? theres a switch that turns on a teleporter (or something) but I just fall in the pit anyways,
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

Never mind rather simple actually
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I am glad you solved it, zombie master.
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

love this map I dont know about the alignment thing as I need at least one zombie to survive. stuck in the "round and round" riddle now. A clue to get out of this ? thxGB
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Who said, you need a zombie to survive ?
Spoiler
The alignement bit is useless, as well as making zombies
Round and round.
Spoiler
Look for a tiny switch