[Custom dungeon] The Tower of Champions [RTC] [Adamski]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: [RTC] Tower of Champions

Post by beowuuf »

3.1 and definitely 3.2 I believe have the flaw, so you have the last safest version that PaulH played and complete with.

Sadly, those are the two I linked through DM.com, so I don't think I can offer a 'clean' download to anyone else. Still, best wait for 3.3 if you haven't started yet I guess, and have the version Adamski would want you to play :D

Can't wait for a more ambitious dungeon Zed! Your early dungeons especially had some fantastic design ideas, and I think your later ones (Villain Pit and...Nightkin?) had some great balance of hard yet doable. Can't wait for a combination of refreshed ideas with later design ideology. Especially when instead of a long dungeon with a unique mechanism, you have perhaps a level or half level with something never done before, and keep throwing those in every few levels! :)
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Hi guys, any estimated time when the new version will be out? I've been checking the site every so often since early December and there always seems to be a new version coming but never one available for download! Looking foward to playing this dungeon though, haven't played anything DM-ish in a while, this will probably get the addiction up and running again.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

The release date is next sunday (3.3 + surprise :wink: )
alfonzo glecko
Apprentice

Post by alfonzo glecko »

is that 1/10 or 1/17?
alfonzo glecko
Apprentice

Post by alfonzo glecko »

I have to tell you, The adamski picture is especially creepy, in a creepy movie way. Add in your phobia and it's even wierder. Please don't take it wrong. In a way I envy you. I never seem to be able to find the time I would like to spend doing the things I enjoy, with computer stuff being at the top of the wish list. I love games, music (I have a killer personal studio), Numismatics, web design, 3D programs like Modo, etcetera. I often blame my life away from these areas as the blame for my periods of less happiness. I do envy your obvious intelligence and sense of creativity. Cudos!! Bravo!! More!! did I sqy MORE!!
alfonzo glecko
Apprentice

Post by alfonzo glecko »

As I anxiously await the release of 3.3, I find comfort in the fact that I have solved exactly none of the sixteen parts or quests of the game. I have spent about 3 hours a day for the last couple of weeks or so. I think that says alot about the game.
1. The game is large
2. The game is difficult.
3. The game is compelling (or else I and others would not still be playing)
4. The other game testers are very advanced.
5. The other game testers have little, if any, life. I would love to know how many hours some of the other players have been playing.
I am still trying to find the ful and vi runes. As well as most of the rest. Please release 3.3 tonite, as that would fit very nicely into my schedule> I am in Connecticut, USA. It is 7:15 a.m. Weds. What time does that make it where you are?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

alfonzo glecko wrote:What time does that make it where you are?
Ha ha, the time difference doesn't magically make it Sunday! ;-) Adamski already said it will be released on Sunday -- putting extra pressure on people to release things early doesn't help. PLEASE be patient.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

5. The other game testers have little, if any, life
That is a little harsh! Maybe we are just better than you hehe.
alfonzo glecko
Apprentice

Post by alfonzo glecko »

of that , there is no doubt!
I say these things from the harshest of envy!!
I would gladly exchange my steaming pile of life for anyone's lack thereof!!
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

At last the new version. I've found out a strange RTC bug, I'll write about in a RTC bugs thread.
alfonzo, now you can play whit a well working version, without the famous wall. Thanks for your opinions (but sometimes your words sound strange)
About the surprise, I need very few time.
stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

my old saved game loaded up so is it safe to play or do I have to start all over again for the wall to to be gone?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

the current state of the dungeon is copied in the saved game, so you will have to start again I'm afraid :(
alfonzo glecko
Apprentice

Post by alfonzo glecko »

does the 3.3 still say 3.1 when you are at the open choice menu (prison, resume , quit, etc) screen? I hope I have loaded the 3.3 version. I am playing the game on my mac pro 8 core desktop running XP with parallel desktop. The game runs fine. but it says 3.1. Thanks for your vision! My biggest problem is that I am not a very clever player. I am very linear. I think that if you follow too far down one path and you miss a crucial item early, then you may lose interest. I think some kind of scroll to make sure you have gotten crucial items by a certain point, might keep the player on pace to complete the many quests. The way the different areas converge with each other is really good. You can solve the quests in different orders each time you play. This is excellent. It is very difficult, though. I am struggling with alot of the guilds. I need a lot of help. I will get through it. I am anxious to see what the surprise will be.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

alfonzo, in the game menu the writing must be ver. 3.3. If you read 3.1, you are still playing with the old version. Check your "Modules" folder, maybe you have copied the wrong file. The links are correct (you've raised a doubt in my mind so I checked them)
stewy, the only thing you can do is going to the mages guild and see if there is the wall in the area after the "magic pit". It's difficult to explain, maybe it's better if you send me your savegame and I'll check. RTC is unpredictable, once I used an old savegame with a new game version and I found the new items which I had put in that release.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Adamski wrote:RTC is unpredictable, once I used an old savegame with a new game version and I found the new items which I had put in that release.
Items probably work OK when mixing old save games with newer .RTC files. But it's not a good idea to do this, especially if you've changed any dungeon mechanics. Bear in mind that a save game stores EVERYTHING -- including flying items, monster positions, the playing state of music, spell clouds -- and crucially, the timers that have been started for every mechanism. If you changed the dungeon so that those mechanisms are now different, RTC will definitely crash.

I can't stress this enough: SAVE GAMES ARE NOT FORWARDS COMPATIBLE. When a dungeon designer releases a new version of their dungeon, you have to start over again from the beginning. It's not too bad in small dungeons, but for big games like Tower of Champions, this is clearly a big issue.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

is adamski it last version? or will there be still another version???
money
On Master

Post by money »

Hi RAF - I've just completed version 3.3, 12hours, 27mins, 44seconds with 32/36 secrets complete. All working fine except...

For the final treasure room - I gained entry with vigor, killed the enemy... but still I get teleported to the impossible room... why? Am i missing something. Also... 4 mirrors, no idea what this is and the mining... never found that neither, got the pickaxe and plenty from it... oh (hang on) is it the bit where the flame is dancing? Is that the mining one? I can do that if it is :)
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

money, to get the final treasure you have to open all the 13 treasure rooms. You said you have found 32/36 secrets, which have you missed? I think the mirrors, the gems from the mines and?
money
On Master

Post by money »

The Coins...But all treasure rooms were complete???
alfonzo glecko
Apprentice

Post by alfonzo glecko »

I am probably missing the obvious, but, I do not know what the surprise is. Your previous email says you need a little more time for the surprise. Yes?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Completed it again (9hrs, 17 mins for those who are interested hehe) but as before, no idea what this big circle puzzle is, how it starts.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

About this difficult riddle:
- it is extremely hard and you can have a possibility to solve only if you find out by chance one of its pieces
- the four leaf clover could be a great hint in same areas...
- you don't need a new game to solve it, can use any advanced savegame; you can't compromise the riddle losing items or doing other wrong actions
- at the end of my new game (upside-down) there is a huge clue
- Paul, I'll send a hint in pm
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Well bugger me with the dragon spit! I am sure that was the first thing I did too!

Anyway I have the scroll ;-)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I have found what I think is a bug: when going back up the tower, and through the mirrors, the door shuts and you get a lot of flying demons. I killed them all, however the mirrored demons will not shatter. Some do, some don't. Before they all did, and the door re opened. Now stuck in that chamber as I saved it!
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Paul, I've checked this room and it looks ok. If I've understood correctly there are mirrors you can't destroy... Strange. I'll put a party in this area and test this event but, as I said, all the relays, triggers and counters look right.
A question: did you have problems with the last treasure chamber? Are still there the hazes after opening all the treasure rooms?

Edit:
I've just checked this area and it works fine. Could you send me your savegame?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: [RTC] Tower of Champions v3.3

Post by Lunever »

One of the most interesting rtc custom dungeon projects. I'm looking forward to actually playing it.

However, my current intention is to collect and backup all custom dungeons to preserve them and to prevent data loss. I'm also trying to provide engine version information for all dungeons.

Am I right in assuming that ToC 3.3 has been created and compiled with RTC/RTCEd V0.49?

Have earlier releases (V3.2, V3.1) also been created with V0.49, or with earlier RTC version? If so, which is the latest engine that runs them safely?
Are earlier releases still available?

Also, I would like to ask you, whether you'd be willing to provide the source files for backup purposes - of course the decision whether they shall be publich or not will always stay your decision alone.
Last edited by Lunever on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think this is one game that shouldn't have the source released generally: it's too special for that! :) I think Adamski said he'd be happy to give the source to anyone who has completed it and I'd concur with that.

You don't want the earlier releases for this, they have lots of bugs and are uncompletable.

And yes, 0.49 all the way for this custom game.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, check the first thread of the game - the newer ones are backed up already on the DM.com webspace.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I didn't say I would want to release it publicly. I just want to backup the custom dungeons somewhere safe, all of them, in one space.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Lunever, I used the V0.49 for all the releases. Ignore the earlier versions because they have too many problems. About the source, I could give you all the files (txt, graphics, sounds ecc..) but it's better not to make public the txt.
Thank you for your hard work with the custom dungeons, it's a really good idea.