[RTC] Tower of Champions HINTS & HELP *SPOILERS*

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

[RTC] Tower of Champions HINTS & HELP *SPOILERS*

Post by Gambit37 »

The dungeon download and non-spoiler comment thread is here

I was a bit stumped in the start room, but it started coming together. Some great ideas here! :)

I'd question some of the mechanics though -- it's a bit strange that
Spoiler
the dart isn't revealed until you actually throw the scroll, it should have fallen out when I first read it.
And I had no idea there was
Spoiler
rat behind the gate, I never saw it, so it was desparation that made me throw the cheese.
I think some of this stuff will need tweaking to make it a bit more obvious -- or perhaps I'm just getting stupid in my old age, who knows! ;-)

Spoilers!!! - b.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Re: [RTC] Tower of Champions

Post by PaulH »

Yeah, the start was strange, but good!

I am in the Arena now - how long does it go on?! No magic, no food, little stamina. I think it is time we put a hint thread up ;-)
Lai
Adept

Post by Lai »

im totally stucked...@ first room
HEHEHE
Spoiler
i have the dart, push the button under the mirror, have found the piece of metal. i dont know what to do now.
i have no idea how to open the door, or break this wall. the dart dont fly across the door
solved
Lai
Adept

Post by Lai »

hmh...what have i do @ bramuds cave?
Spoiler
bramud are very fast...i even cant take all the keys...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Fuund lots of places,
Spoiler
but struggling for light and magic. Every time I get wounded I have reload as no way to heal yet (or not found it). Currently in graveyard.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lai wrote:hmh...what have i do @ bramuds cave?
Spoiler
bramud are very fast...i even cant take all the keys...
Spoiler
Run right away, close doors if you can to slow his fireballs, the needed key is about four down, then just run more once he opens a certain door for you until you get to a sparkly area you can use against him!
PaulH wrote:Fuund lots of places,
Spoiler
but struggling for light and magic. Every time I get wounded I have reload as no way to heal yet (or not found it). Currently in graveyard.
Spoiler
I know the spell methodology and some items are in the priest guild, but I never got there legally!
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

I am thirsty I am thirsty I do not find water has help has help I am going to die from thirst lol
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have run around outisde for a bit and done the Arena -- but that seemed pointless. Nothing useful happened after winning. I've visited the other guilds briefly too, but not much going on there either.

The big problems are NO WATER and lack of light.

Help!

Good stuff:
Spoiler
I levelled up Thief and Fighter skills in the dragon's cave pretty quickly by smashing all the rockfalls and finding a very nice weapon ;-)
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Gambit, the light is a problem until
Spoiler
you don't find the magic book and the ful rune;and if you visit the graveyard will found many candles.
For the water, you can
Spoiler
buy some tankards at the shop; or look for the fountain key (there is a key in each guild)
The mouse: strange your problem, there aren't complicated mechanism at the beginning...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, dual wield candles, a single candle in total darkness doesn't seem to cut it cut it.
Spoiler
Lol, I avoided the rockfalls as it seemed to take too long...maybe I shoud go back and the rockpiles were occasionally catching me...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Beo:
Spoiler
You can go back and do it at your leisure once the dragon is dead

Adamski: My computer is quite old and RTC doesn't play very well for big dungeons. How many levels does this game have?

Thanks for the tip about buying tankards, I don't remember seeing those in the shop...
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

How many levels? 17
If I put more objects the game would explode: it is filled to owerflowing.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gambit37 wrote:Beo:
Spoiler
You can go back and do it at your leisure once the dragon is dead
Yup, that's when I started. I asked adamski if I should continue, and he hinted that I hould go back later, when I have a much better tool for the job :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I used my bare hands,
Spoiler
and then the nice Vorax once I'd found it
-- gave me lots of lovely levelling up!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gambit37 wrote:I used my bare hands,
Spoiler
and then the nice Vorax once I'd found it
-- gave me lots of lovely levelling up!
Yeah, if I was playing it on my own, I probably would have done the same, playtesting I was conscious of not wasting time since I knew I'd be busier later.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Gonna need some help:
Spoiler
I desperately need water or magic to heal. I assume the spellbook is in the graveyard somewhere, but one of those trees has decided to plany itself halfway down the avenue that leeds to the graveyard - I can't stand and fight as it is too tough and just injures me! I know the recipes for somew water, but can't find any keys to the wells.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Spoiler
Try to kill it with bow and arrows or with the hit and run strategy. The fastest way to get a healing potion is finding a flask and at least a fountain key. It's quite easy obtaining a key, above all at the guild of priests
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Spoiler
I must be missing something obvious then! I have been up to the garden and the rain shrine
Lai
Adept

Post by Lai »

i punsh now all the breabables walls @ the cave....
i think maybe this is a bit annoying
:(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm really not keen on this idea that finding the first flask should be such an effort!

Anyway, I'm in the graveyard and not getting very far. Still can't open any useful doors, candles are rubbish and cast virtually no light. I still have no magic.
Spoiler
I managed to buy a tankard
, and also
Spoiler
killed the flying chest to get some coins

I think I know why the game is playing slowly. Have you used triggers everywhere to do the grass sound effects? RTC doesn't seem to handle lots of triggers very well on older computers.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Got one, but from the Warriors guild ;-)

I think when we play new dungeons we don't quite give them the same 'thought' as the original - the original seems easy now because we know it so well, what monsters don't need killing etc. We tend to get frustrated more quickly with new dungeons.
Spoiler
For example in the Warriors guild, when I was being chased by the Knights, I had to make the decision to turn back and fight them as I was low on food and water. This took an hour and annoyed me lol - but if I had kicked down a few more doors, and the right ones, I could have teleported straight up. But that is good design! This dungeon will have great replayabilty like the original.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Gambit, I got a slow up in some areas of the mouse, and my machine aint no slouch!

Yeah, the light is annoying, but I guess that fits into the sentiment in my previous post. However a couple of torches to buy would be good, and certainly more potions to buy.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's like any dungeon where you have to get your head around where everything is. CSB is a nightmare to start with, then you get a feel for where everything is and becomes doable.

The dungeon has a logical progression, even if I haven't quite got my foot in the door yet. I have read alot of scrolls and get the idea (I think) that one discovery of the old heroes should lead to another, etc

Just wish I still had my 'rope' to explore a few of the graves

Edit: Scratch that, I seem to recall finding a rope...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Paul,
Spoiler
about the knights: do you mean in the Arena? I only fought one in there and didn't find any teleporters.
The lack of light is a real problem. I'm not having any fun because I can't see anything. The candles don't really help. Overloading the player with too many "simple" initial problems is perhaps a bit unfair (no light, no flasks, no water). I would rather not have light management as a big problem to solve; this should be one of the first things the player solves and they shouldn't have to worry about again.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Did you see my post about dual wielding candles? It lights up areas enough one candle does not
Lai
Adept

Post by Lai »

i have same problem...in cave there light, but ive i go back (or into pit) i see nothing and this is annoying very much.
i want to go deeper and deeper but if i have not enough water & food, and no light this is just a mistake.
i think the problem are that the beta-testers are too good players, so their dont told him to make this nice dungeon playable

im craftsman ninja&fighter cause the player have to break the walls @ caves and just cant make light
hehe
and the candles are down, now
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Gambit:
Spoiler
Once you kill the 6th monster in the Arena, a further door opens into an armoury and a 'prison' area. After a few steps about 8 knights teleport behind you and you have to run!
I think the light does need tweaking - provisions could be provided incase the FUL rune is found very late or the candles run out - even if this does mean an expensive buy from a shop. I suppose the water did have provision but
Spoiler
I needed a flaskfull to make basic heal potions.
Running out of inventory space too, the shop on the Warriors guild is full of stuff! Is my base now lol.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Beo: Yep, dual candles help a bit, but it's still bloody dark and you can't fight if you're holding two candles! Plus they seem to run out even when you're not holding them which is a bit mean!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

SOunds like you need four candles Gambit...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Fork handles? Classic stuff :-) Did I ever mention I went to Barker's memorial service at Westminster Abbey. A wonderful affair!

Anyway, back ontopic: I don't think I can play anymore of this, sorry Adamski. It's simply balanced a little too unfairly against the player in these early stages. You need to give the player an early method of creating more light.