[Custom dungeon] Upside Down [RTC] [Adamski]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Re: [RTC] Project U-D

Post by Sealtiel »

After days of fiddling around with stuff, I figured out what was wrong with that boiler puzzle. I just needed to activate the mechanism to produce heat. I would've sworn I had tried that already, but apparently not. In any event, I'm having a peculiar issue with where I'm at now. I solved the
Spoiler
spikes 'n pits puzzle
, found the
Spoiler
wizard eyes secret treasure
, and am now staring hatefully at a
Spoiler
wooden door
Spoiler
It seems as though I should be pressing all the sand-colored tiles behind the three force doors (that's what I call them, I dunno what anyone else does though). Anyhow, one of them is open by default and I can play around with that one, but nothing I do will let me open either of the other two force doors.
I'm sure this is something stupid I'm doing wrong, but it's really frustrating. Can anyone point me in the right direction, pretty pretty please?

EDIT: Naturally, figured it out pretty much immediately after I said something here, which is a trend for me. I do have a question though. I'm fairly sure I know where the
Spoiler
key to Junius' chamber is, but there's no creatures alive to activate that green switch for me. I tried keeping the pit open, going back to the area near the empress' room & getting something to follow me through so I can flip gravity & make the critter go up the pit; but the grate is closed. Am I stuck? There's no way for me to operate that green switch since all the flames are dead.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

@Sealtiel
Spoiler
a fast screamer can help you, it must fall onto the pit. Use the ladder to reach the area near the green pad
@Linflas
thanks ;)
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I meant to post that I had got past that part, sorry I forgot to do that. I feel like I've made good progress, but I think there's something wrong with
Spoiler
a ram head by a staircase past the barrel/teleporter puzzle.
I have read the thread and noted that glecko had the same problem that I'm having. You said the solution is
Spoiler
speed
, but frankly I'm not buying it. No amount of dropping gear and/or quick button pressing has yielded any results. I'm sorry, but this is not a good addition to this otherwise fantastic dungeon. Obstacles like this are not puzzles, if the only real secret to passing them is
Spoiler
speed
; as you say. It's frustrating and only serves to get people angry. Knowing that there is no secret to it, yet I still can't seem to get past it; I fail to see a reason to include something like this. I know I'm only one person and my opinion is largely irrelevant, but I don't believe this sort of thing belongs in your dungeons, adamski. Your dungeons are far too good for annoyances like this.

EDIT: Also, throwing the scroll up those stairs at the ram's head causes RTC to crash if you step in front of the ram's head again. I'm not sure why, but it just happened and I was able to recreate it happening 5 times in a row.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Sealtiel, I suspect you made the same 'error' of Glecko :roll: Did you switch the gravity lever in the Junius chamber? If so, the gravity now changes randomly... Hint: go to the entrance and use the first lever you pressed when you started the game (there was a message, maybe not very clear). If you do not fix the gravity the game is IMPOSSIBLE to finish.
About the barrel puzzle, speed is not the solution. You need to
Spoiler
put the barrel onto the circle, moving it from a floor to another floor and using the rams.
The freeze with the stairs is normal for a dungeon with a structure like that. I mean that the mansion hides a big secret about its shape and the gravity, you'll understand when finish the game :wink: Anyway I'll check the problem.
Good luck
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

No, all of that is taken care of already. I fixed the crazy gravity problem and I'm past the puzzle with the barrel. Immediately in the next hallway is where I'm talking about, where the
Spoiler
ram head pushes me up the stairs as soon as I step into that square
. I simply cannot get past it. You told glecko that you just have to be fast to get past it. I'm not sure anybody is that fast, I've been trying for over an hour straight now. It's incredibly frustrating, and it's just about bad enough to make say "screw it" and not even bother finishing the game. I can't imagine I'm too far away from being done either, which makes this little trap even worse.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Sorry Sealtiel for the misunderstanding... Actually you must be quick to pass the ram in the corridor, I tested this section lots of times and I usually need 2-3 attempts to get past. If you really can't or want to skip this frustrating area, send me your savegame. Unfortunately I will be abroad next 6 days, so you should wait few days, sorry again :?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sealtiel may have an older computer: complex dungeons in RTC are very slow on older CPUs and timed puzzles become much harder, maybe even impossible.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

No, my computer's pretty new. I built it last february. I haven't had any issues with slowdowns or anything, not even in ToC or conflux. I guess it could be an issue of timing with this particular ram head, but I don't see how. There is no cooldown timer on it or anything. As soon as you step into the space with it, up the stairs you go; no getting around it and unfortunately I mean that quite literally.
Darth Mouse
Apprentice

Post by Darth Mouse »

Adamski Im also having an impossible time with the Ram pushing me up the stairs puzzle
will try speed having read the forums
Spoiler
these is a second way there from Julius chamber after you put the knowledge on the pad
My computer is about 5 years old a Dell XPS generation 5
Love the game but have not been able to pass the ram yet will try holding down the movement keys from a few spaces back if its speed that should hopefully work

Darth Mouse Dungeon Master
Darth Mouse
Apprentice

Post by Darth Mouse »

To Continue on my post yesterday
Dated 21 Feb 2012 19:55
NOTE am using version 2.0 of game
Nothing worked to pass the Ram Head Last Night
Tried unloading all equipment and using ROS potion (Dexterity)
Tried moving to end off hall and holding down movement keys
Tried turning off music and sounds to speed up things
Spoiler
this was from the other end i.e. started on top of table the end entered thru the teleport from Julius Room
Also having difficulties due to speed to get the Boots of speed
Spoiler
Will try practicing the complicted series of actions required to get under the portcullis before it closes after using the wall switch to get the boots
Which when worn may allow me to pass the Ram Head
any sugestions

will try again the zoom / wooz puzzle without the boot of speed if it is possible

In addition would love to help test the next game in the series

Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Hi Darth, the version 2.0 has some bugs, i.e. you can finish the game before killing the devil. The only path should be the ram head, but if you can't pass it, I suggest to send me your savegame. I can pass the ram for you. The zoom puzzle is doable also without the boots of speed. About my next game, I'm working on Underworld Dreams, there is a beta version that contains 1/2 game.
Darth Mouse
Apprentice

Post by Darth Mouse »

Adamski was able to get to the area past the ram head
Spoiler
via the teleport past the angel and one you have placed julius gem thru the door in julius chamber
so passing the ram head is not a problem except there is no way back.
With practice and looking at the maping of the keystrokes, as they are faster than the mouse, was able to get the boot of speed last night.
Will try to pass the ram head again with the boots.

Also am practicing to pass the zoom / wooz puzzle, as speed is of the essence.
Spoiler
have discovered that if you reverse up & down before the floor opens up and moving forward at the same time.
It should be possible, but requires the use of the keyboard to do, as moving the mouse & clicking is too slow.
Something i'm not to good at, as it requires great accuracy.

Possible other idea
Will look at remaping the key strokes for this part of the game thru the config file
so that the key to press are logicaly close together and easy to do without error

Since I'm new to this forum and don't have rights to the developers section where would i find the beta version of Underworld Dreams ?
Am still looking at existing games and have only taken apart DM so I'm hoping on starting my first Dungeon some time this Summer.
After I have taken CSB and DM2 apart so that i more fully understand George game engine.

Thank you for your sugestions

Darth Mouse
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Darth, I put a new link for Underworld Dreams demo on the first page of this thread.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

I've also updated the link for Upside-Down, last version is the 3.2. I fixed many problems and changed what players suggested me (difficulty, ram head etc). Could someone put the new link on the DM Encyclopaedia? Thanks.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

I can not download a demo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Will download/upload to DM.com, but it might take a little time.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

I just tried the demo and I must say excellent
Adamski you spend in the art of creating games with RTC I will continue to play
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Thanks Beowuuf and thanks RAF. The demo is bigger than you can expect. Do not forget to give me all your suggestions at the end 8)

I've also uploaded Upside-Down with its source files, the link is on the first page. And soon all the ToC sources (graphics, sounds, txt).
Darth Mouse
Apprentice

Post by Darth Mouse »

Finished Upside-Down
Excellent Game
As usual a complete experience and great fun
finished with 85% completion
Missing 21 Tarots (Got 18)
the Justice Puzzle will retry but did try all 8 combinations and thought I had made the right choices but on
reflection nothing happend after my choices so I guess i missed something
will have to learn to trust my feeling that it was not complete
the off-stage puzzle ?? have no idea
Thank You Adamski for the link and the info will download version 3.2 and as with TOC played ver 3.3 Not Ver 4.0
but will replay someday

Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Darth, the off-stage is
Spoiler
not a puzzle, there are some "revelations" about the obscure plot of ToC (the mask and some comedy titles)
Thank you for playing this hard and strange game. To be honest I had more fun building Upside-Down than ToC, it was a really challenging experience.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Sorry for the inconvenience but the version 3.2 of Upside-Down had a "little" problem: I forgot to restrict the runes :mrgreen:
So I removed the link and put a new one: the version 3.3
Sorry again...
Decompositor
Novice

Re: [RTC] Project U-D: Upside Down

Post by Decompositor »

I tried this out last night and found the implementation of the third dimension pretty amazing. However I could only download version 2, as the links to the 3.3 version are inoperative. Before I progress much deeper into the dungeon: Are there significant differences between the two versions, resp. could you re-upload it?
Darth Mouse
Apprentice

Post by Darth Mouse »

To Decompositor

Yes there are major differences between the 2 versions
I have completed version 2 and have but not played version 3.3

Darth Mouse
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

The download links are down.
What Is Your Quest ?
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

There's a backup of the dungeon that you can find on DM Encyclopaedia: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1459 (but no backup of the source files (?)).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Version 3.2 is available here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/dun ... n_v3.2.rar

Adamski removes the references to the old files when updating, but they are still be on our server here if I've put an alt link. However, his 3.3 update was not grabbed for mirroring here, I'm afraid.

If anyone has it they can send it to beowuuf@yahoo.com 9then PM me here to check my e-mail account) and I can host it.
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

I just sent my 3.3 file to you!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't seem to have got it yet :( It's not in the spam folder either :(
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

Hmmm I may have to try again using a different email. Won't be until late tonight though as I'm at work.
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

Ok sent again! This time from yahoo! Hope it works!