Doom Blade - Hint Book

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
the master
On Master

Re: Doom Blade - Hint Book

Post by the master »

Oh! I thought that corridor was just a trap. Didn't bother going back there after I was toasted the first time.
Spoiler
Get some high calibre poison gas ready for him and go right up to him and hit him as fast as you can, don't try and hit him from range cos he will zap you. You may have some bottled gas handy which I think is on that level, so use that
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I am running around in circles and can no longer find my way into the Dragon area. Could someone please give me specific directions on how to get there again, from this point on the map:
I no longer have any patience with multi level pit puzzles and need to get out of here before I go mental! Thanks.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

I'm in a place past
Spoiler
an emerald key door with three levers and some pits. The levers make blue hazes for a second, and I think I know what I'm suppose to do(a cast your influnce,cast your might sort of thing) but it seems to be impossible. The one in the dragon's cave was plenty hard enough.
I have quick reflexes but can't manage to do this, is there something I'm missing?

Also the
Spoiler
Mario area(though very cool and funny) was rather unclear as to how to leave. I was trying to use the fireball flower somehow, and searching around the bottom floor for a long time before having to look at the hint book about putting the mushroom back. So I did, but it seems putting it back in the alcove I found it in was still no good. Only the other one worked. I suggest putting a wall text by the right alcove saying "mushroom return" or something to make this more clear.
Great game so far Trantor.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

Gambit from that exact point on the map, with that orentation, to get to the dragon area (where only a dragon knight may enter) you go forward 1, turn left, forward 2, turn left, forward 1, turn right, forward 2, turn right, forward 2, turn left, forward 1, turn left, forward 1, turn right, forward 3 turn left, forward 1, turn right, forward 1, turn left, forward 1, turn right, forward 2, turn left, forward 4, you should now see the dragon door in the top rightish of your map. Dragon area is down the ladder.

Hopefully this is the place you were looking for.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Wasn't here for a couple of days - cool to see people playing this!

Gambit:
Spoiler
lbk's directions sound good. In general, you have to keep right from the entrance to the Dragon Cave in order to reach the dragons. Once you assemble the whole Dragon armour, you don't have to do any more pit-hopping over multiple levels, and the rest of the Dragon Cave is rather straightforward.
Soap:
Spoiler
You are right, you first have to cast a ZO spell into the hazes, and once the door (which is invisible to you) is open, you have to throw an item over there. It shouldn't be harder than the one in the Dragon Cave, but there is nothing you really need to go on there, just some bonus items and a secret area.
The Mario section doesn't work as intended. You actually should only be able to enter there once you reached all four secrets behind the Emerald doors. And what's worse, it is indeed unclear how to leave. It was designed differently, and I made a last-minute change because the original design didn't really work. I didn't put enough thought in the new layout, and so, the area is rather obscure. In a future bugfixing update, I will add an inscription like you suggested.
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

Discovered this site recently and I am working through the backlog of dungeons. I seee noones posted here in some time.
The "Gatkin god of travelling" test has me stumped. Just keep porting backwards GB
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

Never mind. Just had to get the "feel" of it GB
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

The V exirk in the desert asks for potion ingredients I don't see anything growing in the forest or thicket Where would I look for these items? GB
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Wow, someone is still playing this? Amazing!

About the vexirk in the desert:
Spoiler
He is looking for three items.
1. A Fly Agaric can be found in the Screamer's Forest, in the north-eastern corner.
2. A Palmapple can be found behind the Tower of Fastilus.
3. A Moonflower can be found in the north of the Forest of Illusion, behind the city of Kurast.
About the keys in the Tower of Fastilus (you sent me an email with that):
Spoiler
One of the keys in an alcove. It is right behind the west door from the room with the four doors. The demon has the second key. It is a Key of B, so it may be hard to see when it lies on the floor.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I never noticed this dungeon before. I've played one of your other dungeons, still part way through, Dru-Tan's storehouse or something like that. You make good custom dungeons and I'd love to see you get back into it. I don't think I've seen you posting anything since I returned to this forum last fall, I though you'd left us for good, glad to see you back again.

I'll definitely give this one a try before long.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks for the kind words, but I don't really deserve them - Doom Blade is my only custom dungeon released. I do remember playing Dru Tan's Storehouse myself and quite liking it.

About Doom Blade: in retrospect, the dungeon has some nice ideas, but it is way too large and ambitious for its own good. It also has some glitches and bugs, so be careful when playing.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Will do, thanks for the heads up.

I know what you mean about projects being way too ambitious for their own good, I'm in the middle of one right now, an RTC custom dungeon...
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

cannot say DB is too big and ambitious! seems about right to me I like finding myself in the epic!
PS if I got new attention to this (maybe) forgotten classic then all th
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

that was weird
i meant to say " all the better"
GB
gerganrab
Apprentice

Post by gerganrab »

ahh castle Lynchgate. quite disappointed when it just ended out in the thicket. If anyone ever continues this project I would advise some tweaking on the AI of the guards - a lot of times the game froze while I was speaking to the head guard, and often as not I could get stuck between them with nobody able to move. GB
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

It is a work in progress. That demo was meant to get some early feedback on the game to know what direction the rest should take, trust me, there's much more in store and the AI of the Guards will be much better in the finished version. But I don't want to hijack Trantor's thread with talk of my own projects, so if you have anything you want to see done with Lynchgate feel free to post in it's thread, I'd love to hear what you liked and didn't like about it, what worked and what didn't.
Hexcon
Novice

Post by Hexcon »

Hello all,

just created an account to ask a question regarding the Tower of Fastilus ... I must be blind as a bat:

So far I've solved the teleporter riddle, slayed the demon and found both keys of b. I'm using the Marauder's Map to find any places I haven't been yet, but unfortunately I can't seem to find a spot on which to use the keys. So what do I need to do with them?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sorry for the late reply.
Spoiler
From the room with the 4 wooden doors, take the north one. There is an area with moving walls here. Watch the floor for tiny pressure pads and keep going back and forth. Eventually, you will find a passage to the north with the door that needs the two Keys of B.
Last edited by Trantor on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@Trantor: if you're posting solutions, please put it in the Spoiler tags so only those who need/want to see them can. Thanks
Hexcon
Novice

Post by Hexcon »

Thanks a lot! I didn't notice the
Spoiler
tiny pressure plates

I'm now in the crypt and stuck in the second level of the dungeon. I've found the tombs of Tula and Itza, and there was an alcove containing some bones where
Spoiler
Aram's Blade fired off a lightning bolt

The chronicles and the
Spoiler
spell to lift the curse
I've only found after fighting the knight and other ghosts - was I supposed to use it on the knight or was it meant to make the fight a little easier? Do I need to use it later in the dungeon?

Also there are one or two unaccessible areas with teleporters. How do I get there (I might have been there before but I've lost track on where I've been and what I've done and all the changes it caused :lol:)?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The alcove with the bones was just there to demonstrate that
Spoiler
Aram's Blade is full of evil.
;)

If you have found the tombs of Itza and Tula, you should have found
Spoiler
two items that have sentimental value for their family. Examine everything carefully. You need those items; look for a RA door near the stairway that you came down to this level.
Good job on finding
Spoiler
the spell to lift the curse
! It will come in handy later in the crypt.

Don't worry about the area with the teleporters, you either have been there already or it is just some stuff to make some mechanics in the dungeon work. ;)
Hexcon
Novice

Post by Hexcon »

Eheh. Thanks for the hint regarding the family heirlooms. It took me a while to figure out that they were
Spoiler
in fact the keys to open the door to the next level and had to be put in the alcove.
Wow. Don't know whether that part was intended to be that tough or if I just failed to notice any secret passages or anything, but I made it to the end of the
Spoiler
poison corridor
with only one last man standing on rather shaky feet. Forgot if there were any VI altars around, so I took his fallen comrades back to the temple of Gatkin for a revival session.
Side note: I'm playing with four characters from DM2. I was curious to find out whether they'd be efficient in this game.
Spoiler
What "thief"?
Spoiler
I assume the curse lifting spell that did activate the "extinct teleporter" on the ground and made the party members gain experience was to deliver the ghost of the fallen clan leader from the curse put on him by Aram's followers? Funny that it would be found in the same place where the cursed clan leader lies buried. :lol: But putting items in many different, rather unconnected areas would make a game a little too confusing and disrupt gameplay continuity, I guess.
There are quite a few special weapons in this mod. Is it necessary to keep, say,
Spoiler
Aram's Blade and also the dagger
with you until some later point in the game?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The
Spoiler
spell to lift the curse
is just a bonus, you don't need it to finish the game. Yeah, you could argue that it doesn't make much sense in the same place I guess.

Could you elaborate about the
Spoiler
thief
? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Definitely keep
Spoiler
the Blade and the Dagger of Aram
. Both are key to the plot and needed to finish the game. Other weapons like
Spoiler
Albion, Anduril or Excalibur
are just good weapons.
Hexcon
Novice

Post by Hexcon »

Maybe someone created it, but it fell to oblivion before it was used?

There is an inscription on the wall in the corridor
Spoiler
(last level of the crypt, next to the tomb of the first clan leader) with the many levers
saying "Look out for the thief". Thought you were perhaps referring to the giggler creature, but there was nothing of the like.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

You were correct about the giggler. If you use
Spoiler
Oh Ew Ra (look through walls), you will see that behind one of the levers, there is a giggler.
That lever is the only one you need to pull in that room, the others all generate monsters.