[RTC] Doom Blade

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: [RTC] Doom Blade

Post by Gambit37 »

I hope you don't think I'm criticising the dungeon for poor graphics! I know most custom dungeon designers don't have those skills and I don't judge the gaming experience based on the graphics. :) Surgical Strike for example had very little new graphics and it was great to play, and I can see that Doom Blade has had a lot of care and attention put into it too :) I'm looking forward to getting more into it.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Finally! And it doesn't disappoint. :)

As I mentioned in the chat, there are a few small issues I'd have, like not being able to fill flasks and waterskins.
However, those are minor complaints. I'm enjoying this dungeon. :D
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Trantor, I've just finished the
Spoiler
Tower of Fastilus
and I really enjoyed. This game has a great atmosphere and the best background music in a custom dungeon. Going along is very pleasant, a game superbly playable. My only remark is about the fights, maybe too easy.
On the whole an excellent work.
Last edited by Adamski on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

great, just great Trantor. I agree with the graphics don't mix, but the music score is awesome. I have a suggestion about the music,if there could be long pauses in between the looped music, or trigger the music only every so often not looped. This game has a nice feel to it. I had a tough time in the desert, and beating those spiders was no easy task with just Halk. Halk Swung and chopped his way, gaining levels, I was happy to make it out of there. Well done Trantor. I'll have another go today at it.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just going back to the "music doesn't stop when you die" problem. I'm sure I can't be the only one to have this a problem, but no-one else seems to have reported it.

Is it just me!?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I can only repeatedly express my gratitude for the warm feedback. Thanks to everyone who is playing it! :D

I'd like to know about the music bug, too. I just can't imagine Gambit is the only one with this problem while it works for everyone else! Gambit, I vaguely remember you once wrote that GG once sent you an inofficial version 0.50 of RTC. Are you accidentally playing DB on that version? That's actually the only explanation I can come up with...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, I'm using 0.49.

One thing I noticed is that if you save on a spot where there's a "disable music" trigger -- if that music is playing when you later die and you restore the save, the music does indeed stop!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

IMPORTANT: PaulH just found a serious bug that can lead to a dead-end! Please read the first post again to learn how to avoid that bug!
I will release a fixed update soon. Sorry for that! :(
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Is the incompatabiity between the water carrying vessels supplied and some of the watering sources i.e fountains deliberate or accidental?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Accidental. RTC differentiates between DM1 and DM2 items. The flasks and waterskins in Doom Blade are DM1 items while the fountains in the cities are from DM2, so they are incompatible. As I tend to not carry any water around with me, I somehow oversaw this when I built and tested the dungeon - sorry! This is one of the issues I mean to fix for the next update.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

By the way, anyone who finished the dungeon can have the text file. It is a horrible mess full of bad design and redundant stuff, but if you are curious (and finished the dungeon!), just PM me and I'll send it over.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

It's been an awful long time since I've posted here, but I wanted to compliment Trantor on making this dungeon. Someone else in this thread mentioned that this dungeon doesn't have the feel of a custom dungeon, it feels more like something that would have been created by a company. I agree whole-heartedly with that statement. It reminds in many, many ways of playing might and magic back when I was a kid; and that's definitely a good thing. I've died a few times, all of which have just been stupid mistakes, but I smile every time it happens anyways. I see a lot of people commenting about the music overlapping bug, and I'm wondering if it will crash RTC if it happens too many times. Hasn't happened to me yet, but just wondering. I'll just disable the music if that's the case, but it being on or off doesn't really affect me either way.

I'm just now finishing up the final test of Gatkin (what a devil of a puzzle THAT was...), and looking forward to much more. Well done, trantor. I'm having a great time with this one.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks a lot for your kind words Sealtiel. :) It's funny that you mention Might & Magic, since I wanted to include some elements from it - mostly potions that, when consumed, permanently raised your stats, but I couldn't do it in RTC.

I don't think the music bug (that may or may not be present; there seems to be no logical reasoning behind it) should crash RTC; at least, nobody wrote about that here.

Oh, and if you are at the final test of Gatkin... You ain't seen nothing yet! ;)
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I'm past the final test of Gatkin, which took me forever; but seemed more like a trial & error exercise than a puzzle. It was about the only part so far that I haven't been terribly pleased with. As of now, I just got out of the
Spoiler
crypt
. It took me almost 2 hours to "use my illusion". It's funny for me to actually catch the music references made within the game.
Spoiler
"Give me fuel"
was probably my favorite. Now if I could just hear the music, the posts I'm seeing are telling me that it's rather good overall. A buddy of mine told me that there's some music from Chrono Trigger when you
Spoiler
fight the golem-like monster to win Aram's Blade in the temple of Gatkin

I'm looking forward to what this dungeon has to offer, as it's just genuinely fun to play through. It's not so outrageously difficult that I rip all my hair out, but it's not so easy that I'm just blazing through it either. I have a feeling that I'll be just a little bit sad when I finish it, because I'll want for it to continue. It vaguely reminds me of ToC, but then again it's also completely different at the same time. I've found a few typos so far, but they're certainly not enough to detract from the game; so I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyways, I'm gonna get back to it, but I wanted to tell you my comments thus far. If this is your first dungeon (I think I read that somewhere), then you should be very proud of it. Cheers! :D
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

Done, but unfortunatly I feel that I have doomed the world :( (I couldn't remember which chapter I should read...) Fun game, some of the puzzles were very challenging (or I am just not up to snuff) I only found 6 of 12 secrets, which makes sense cause I never figured out the last Emerald key puzzle and I didn't ever get to that body in the desert... Also I could not, for the life of me, get a palmapple.

I have a few questions, were there really 2 dragores? (Probably spelled that wrong, the really fast dragon guy) Also, somewhere in the inner sanctum, there will like
Spoiler
90-bajillion worms
... I think that may have crashed RTC once or twice, not to mention instantly kill me a few times. I was wondering if that was supposed to happen or if it was a glitch? And when fighting the dragons at some point there is a
Spoiler
hole that one of my guys warns me something heavy is in, then you go and a dragon appears behind you and kills you like every time... I just made an-instant ant man below the hole, they say something fell, but in reality no dragon appeared.
Was that cheating?

Overall, I really enjoyed this dungeon; thanks.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Almost finished (I'm entering the Inner Sanctum) so far, very good !
However, for some reason there is an infinite worm generator which is totally making my PC lag.
EDIT: Actually, after a few tens of seconds, it's completely lag-blocking the game. :cry: :(

Sidenotes before I forget: I liked the secrets I've found.
I liked the special items and artifacts, especially: Buriza and the Superflower.
I liked the special swords (Jaram's, albion, anduril, excalibur, dragonfang ...) and the special axe. Can't wait to find more !

Is there any interest in taking another character than the priest ? BTW, I didn't find the = power rune.
What Is Your Quest ?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks for the comments. It seems like most people find the "bad" ending first, but it is also the easiest to find.

I'm sorry about the worms. :( They don't work as intended. I hope I'll find time next week to release an update that fixes this. Joramun, there is a fireball launcher there that can be directed at the worms. Maybe you can let the fireballs do the work for you and it will run more quickly then. I have my fingers crossed!

lbk: There are actually
Spoiler
2 Draggores, but you can only fight one. Which one that will be depends on if you let the prisoner in the castle out or not. If you release the prisoner, he will steal Anduril from Fastilus' Tower. Later, Draggore eats him, but not without a fight. This means that Draggore has only half as many hit points and carries Anduril. If you leave the prisoner where he is, you will find Anduril in the Tower of Fastilus, but Draggore will have double HP.
Yes, you cheated by creating that Instantman. :P It's a trap, but it shouldn't be deadly. With Magic Boxes, Ful bombs and instant monsters, you should be fine even if the dragon appears.

Joramun, I think you are the first one who ever found Excalibur, congratulations! Whom do you man by the priest?
The On rune = is in
Spoiler
the castle of Tarusis, in the chambers of Yubin the Wizard
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

It seems the fireballs come to late, the area is already so infested that fireball don't clean it up. I'll try to set it up faster to make sure.
The priest is Nabi the prophet.
What Is Your Quest ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I found Excalibur lol, but wasn't as good as Anduril as far as I could see!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hm, Excalibur actually should be better than Anduril... But both are pretty good.

Every character except the four starting characters gives hints about some puzzles or secrets in the dungeon. So depending on whom you take, you may get useful hints. Also, there is a certain secret to one specific character...
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Anduril sucks big time, Excalibur RULEZ. I took no extra character. Extra characters are for wusses.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I've also found Excalibur, but also think that Anduril is a better weapon overall. Still, I've got a 2-man crew going so I'm using them both.

I wanted to comment about a few areas so far. I found myself thinking that the
Spoiler
deth knight area and the materializers
were rather difficult areas that came out of nowhere. Overall the combat in this dungeon is not hard at all, but these ones had some pretty serious surprise factor. I enjoyed them both, but trying to figure out the altars of light and dark with those accursed things flying in from all directions was surprisingly hard. I'm not sure how the generators work for them, but I was up to my eyeballs in the stupid things.

Also, bonus points for the
Spoiler
teleporter puzzle in that area behind the emerald key door.
It took me forever to figure it out. :)
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I found a way to get rid of all the worms. YEAH !
Now I'm in some place that BACKFIREs and it's a bit difficult with a one character party...

On a more funny note, I am indeed a master duelist.

Trantor, your dungeon is definetely among the category of polished and balanced dungeon. It's very good, the story is interesting, and the graphics and sound are cool.

You're still the LORDS OF THE GEEKS, though :wink:

EDIT: Found the first good ending :) 8/12 secrets and 794 worms killed (about 90% in ONE SHOT - the most powerful Fireball EVER) :)
What Is Your Quest ?
Leonardron
Neophyte

Post by Leonardron »

Hi Trantor,

Hab heute seit langem mal wieder reingeschaut. Deinen Dungeon sofort mal runtergeladen und reingeschaut - macht lust auf mehr.
Hast du einige Monster, Items, Wände, etc. selbst kreiert, wenn ja wäre es toll wenn du mir mitteilst womit. Den sound den du für die einzelnen Abschnitte gewählt hast - Toll abgestimmt.
Weiter so - ich hab z.Z. 3 level fertig und werd mal wieder weiter machen mit meinen Dungeon

so now in english - sorry my english is not good ( hoffe das es einigermassen hinkommt, falls noch etwas unklar ist wäre es toll wenn du es richteg stellen würdest. Danke)

I write to Trantor, that I look into the forum after a long time.I found his Dungeon, load it down and play the dungeon for a short time. I write that it is very good.
I ask him - if he created some monster,items, walls, etc. himselves and I ask him if he can tell with what he do that. The sound he take is great in the diffrent sections.
keep it up. I build a Dungeon too and 3 level are finished and after a long time i keep doing build the next levels of my dungeon.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

I started playing this too. I am in the Crypt so far, going good.

The outdoor adventure reminds me of DM2, though I much prefer this game.

I have noticed many fun references to other things like you mentioned. I did this too in my game. :)

Haven't had problem with the music, it reminds me of old Final Fantasy games I think. The music in the crypt I found rather annoying though, so turned it off there.

Overall, I'm liking most everything so far, thanks for the game.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

In case anybody is still interested, I edited the first post so it now features the text file as well. So if you want to look at the horrible mess I built, just download the file and open it with RTC Editor v0.49. I sadly have neither the energy nor the time to fix the minor and major issues I have meanwhile discovered with the dungeon.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I am going to get a good chance to spend time with RTC at the end of the month. I avoided downloading RTC before because I knew it would take up too much time. This and Tower of Champions were my first planned downloads...are the issues that major? Anything we can avoid?

And welcome back! :D (P.S. you are still wearing your Christmas hat :wink: ).
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Tried to open this file with RTC Editor 49 and got a violation error and RTC Editor just closed down.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Grrr, the text file displays fine as a link, but you are right, the web server must be doing something subtle to the formating of it.

I've changed the link and file so it's now a .zip file. The text file inside opens fine in the 0.49 editor!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks for correcting the link Beo.

@oh_brother: There is one major issue - a possible dead-end - near the end. Look at the first post in this thread, there is a warning to it.
Other issues are probably minor and shouldn't affect gameplay. The music may not work as intended, but I never found out why it broke for some players and not for others. Also, I would do a lot of little things differently were I to do it all over again.