[RTC] Dungeon Master HD

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
L_ghthouse
Novice

[RTC] Dungeon Master HD

Post by L_ghthouse »

I'M BAAAACK!!!

Sorry guys, work and family have kept me away for a while. When I tried to log back into the forums I found my account info was no longer valid so I had to create a new one (was L!ghthouse). Anyway...

I've been working on this project for quite some time now. When I came down with the flu last week I decided it was a great time to get this finished up. I didn't want to post details too early because I hate it when I get all hyped up about a project that never comes to life. Well... TODAY IS THE DAY FOR THE UNVEIL. I give you...(drum roll please)

DUNGEON MASTER HD for RTC
That's right, ALL of the graphics have been painstakingly updated. RTC supports a maximum resolution of 640x480 but it's still twice what the original 320x240 was. I hope this flavor is lovingly accepted and that those who play it enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

First... some side-by-side screenshots to wet your whistle...

Original Dungeon Master Entrance:
Dungeon Master HD Entrance:

Original Dungeon Master Linflas:
Dungeon Master HD Linflas:

Original Dungeon Master Mummy:
Dungeon Master HD Mummy:

Second, some of you may see this and think "Why not generate all new images/graphics?" or "Why not use more colors, shading, detail...ect?" Well, I did toy with the idea but it just didn't "feel" like dungeon master. I wanted to create an updated version while still giving it the classic look and feel everyone has grown to love. Screamers that didn't look and feel like screamers just didn't seem the same. Portraits that were too clear or colorful seemed artistically out of place. No, I wanted to create an updated version that complimented the classic, not rewrite it.

Finally, for the goods:
DOWNLOAD DM_HD.RTC Here
(anyone who would like to host this.... feel free to do so)

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)

ENJOY!!!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Re: [RTC] Dungeon Master HD

Post by PaulH »

Nice work! Will you be releasing the graphics and source?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting! It seems like you applied one of those scaling filters which averages the pixels?
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

I have no problem releasing the source and graphics but they will need a lot of work before doing so. The folder I kept these in has a mess of original, updated and beta graphics that never made it into the final release. The folder structure is a bit of a mess and will need to be cleaned up as well. Once I change those, the source will also need to be updated.

I have 2 more projects I'm working on currently. However, give me some time and I'll happily get this straightened out and released to you guys. I'd love to see more dungeons using the new graphics!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Alternate link provided
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I am thinking of making a DM 'alternate' dungeon, just to get me bacjk into the flow. Basically I will take the original dungeon, and make alterations to puzzles, the maps, and weapons, much like with my first ever dungeon, Tomb of the Firestaff.

Your graphics will fit perfectly - it will be dungeon master, but a little updated!
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

@Gambit37: Yes, I used a scaling filter to help. Almost all the graphics had to be tweaked, updated or completely redrawn. For example, anything that used chain lost all detail. Most objects ended up with a "halo" effect caused by the alpha channel. Many objects such as portraits, text, inventory, etc looked blurry and had to be hand drawn. The walls... don't get me started on that nightmare. The scaling filter did give me a good starting point however.
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

@Beowuff: Thanks for the new link!

@PaulH: That sounds awesome! Let me know when you're done with your dungeon. Hopefully I'll be done by then. All you should have to do is copy the graphics into your folder, copy the REPLACE entries from the source then replace the path for yours ("file=(Dungeon Master HD\" for "file=(DM Alternate\").
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

very very interesting I would talk to you soon !
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

btw... Did anyone else notice that the mummy's smile in the pic above looks strangely like the joker in the new batman movies?

"Why so serrrioussss?"
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

very nice work how did you do ???

can you still get the resolution of HD in the game ???
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

The HD Linflas looks a bit :shock:

:wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I am getting steadily through, lots of twists and turns! Going to add a whole new bonus level too ;-)

Should be done in a day or two.
glecko
Craftsman

Post by glecko »

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing this.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Very nearly done (these things ALWAYS take longer than planned!). Added two new levels and a new setting for the ending.

Scattered in some new objects too.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'll added links in appropriate places for the new stuff, and I'll add mirrors tonight. Large Theron files + slow ftp + need to leave for work soon != mirrors right now :)
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

Awesome, thanks beowuff. You're off to work, I'm off to bed. Almost 1:00am for me... :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ftp sped up, so I've added some alt links before disappearing! Goodnight!
moogie
Novice

Post by moogie »

Hello everybody, I'm new on this site...

I just read thorugh sopme posts and found that a new version was made. I want to try it so I downloaded the RTC file. But I'm really not familiar with computers. How do you get the game to play? Which program should I use to run the file?

Thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Download return to Chaos through this site:
http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/

Put the .RTC file in to the modules folder, then run the game using rtc.exe. You will be told which dungeons are in the modules folder when the game starts.
moogie
Novice

Post by moogie »

Thank you kindly.

I'm crazy about these games. I can,t believe I never found you guys before.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Glad you found us now, welcome to the forums! Good timing too, there are several people playign through DM right now after a very long absense!
moogie
Novice

Post by moogie »

Well I'm another one that will be doing so.

I've never finished this game when I was younger. I had also bought Dungeon master 2 and never even installed it back when I had it. Don't remember why though.

This game even works off my UsB key. It can't get better than that.

COngrats to Lighthouse the graphics look great!"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good news, a reasonable fascimile of DM2 is one of the default dungeon available in the RTC main package! :)

Feel free to start a new thread for your thoughts and experiences, in the DM forum!
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

I liked old pixels, and to me blur everything dont improve it, instead i could imagine HD version as replace old gfx by brand new different. For example this DMJava was ok very like that wallset (can i download it somewhere and use in rtc?)

lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

PaulH wrote:Very nearly done (these things ALWAYS take longer than planned!). Added two new levels and a new setting for the ending.

Scattered in some new objects too.

Cant wait to play this!!! DM with new levels!!! Its EXACTLY what i want to play :D
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Wow, great work! I was using an HQX filter to begin improving graphics assets, and had planned to create a full set with only this filtering. It seems you have saved me the trouble, and gone a lot further by hand editing where necessary. Now I can focus on just one version with enhanced color.

Cheers
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

Thanks to everyone who has played or is playing! I'm glad you are enjoying it! Try playing the original version immediately after finishing the HD version. That really highlights the diferences.

@Crash.: I would love to see a version with enhanced color and can't wait to play it.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

It will look like this. I am still working on the item graphics: