[RTC] Dark Reign 2

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
terkio
Mon Master

[RTC] Dark Reign 2

Post by terkio »

I enjoyed "Dark Reign" and "The Chaos Mirror" from Saumun.

Edited: I cancel my release of a test version of "Dark Reign 2".
Please, use the official release from the author: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 74&t=29975
Last edited by terkio on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
the master
On Master

Re: [RTC] Dark Reign 2

Post by the master »

Have just started this and gone into a small room with a red switch straight ahead. As you enter the room there is an alcove to the left with a key. However when you step forward to press the red switch it dissappears. Also the alcove with the key disappears. Just wondering if this is a bug or intentional.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

atmospheric start, but already stuck
Spoiler
in the room with the 3 black doors... can get through to collapsed stairwell... but then what?
meanwhile I'll check again for how to get out...
room with red button? damn I am rubbish if I can't progress to find that either... :(
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Wait and listen.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

am in that red button room too now - and yes it is odd.
Spoiler
there is a teleporter here... you need to hit the green button
where is this
Spoiler
green button
?
Spoiler
other side of the teleporter area. here is a map.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrzhdwdi5f3u5 ... p.png?dl=0
and yes, I am as pleased as punch to find this, :)
Spoiler
recommendation:
add item teleporters to the teleporters blocked in on 3 sides.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Pit puzzle room:
Spoiler
[to get one of 2 gold keys]
Spoiler
Q: anyone found a quick-return passage for this chamber? nicely done, but I tend to reload app rather than trudge back up to puzzle.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

And now I'm stuck...
Spoiler
Ok, beyond 2 gold key doors, find area where kill 2 vexirks and then onto 4 colour gem path, before which you enter 4 teleports to go into 4 fiendish puzzles.

3 fo 4 completed. The 4th is the 'dont allow yourself to be deceived' puzzle.
seriously, tapped all walls, walked into all walls. zapped portcullises with zo / fire /lightning/ physical attacks. thrown all my small items through gates. removed light. cast zo on keyhole and on original text, stripped naked thrown all objects at portcullises. summoned zo kath ra item to throw at gates. need a kitchen sink spell to throw that too! looked through all walls and can see lever beyond E gate (facing north) ...

Q: how do I get through portcullis gates to lever?
and another thing...
Spoiler
no food left - absolutely sparse. this looks like the real challenge of the dungeon - will have to go back and see if any early rooms spawn food, if I can find a way out again.... any hints? my stamina potions are now feeding the team!
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

With the don't be deceived puzzle I got stuck here as well. The thing is
Spoiler
not to be slow in coming forward but rather the other way
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

*whimper* ok, thanks the master.
Spoiler
have spent another 30minutes running. walking, waiting, going backwards, sideways... and generally trying to open gates without looking at them.
nevermind.
my team are starved. :)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Starved !
Re-do all. This will not take much time since you know the tricks. You' ll arrive again at the 4 gems 4 puzzles with plenty of food.
Save before a new puzzle, solve it, then restart to do the puzzle quickly. That way you' ll have plenty of food in this dungeon.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am playing it with 2 champions. No need for any more as they are all highly skilled. With only 2 food and water is going to last a lot longer. The pit level puzzles will throw up a lot of food except the famine level which I left to last so I could accumulate food.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

yeah, I was thinking, the champions are pretty high-level, so 4 is a bit overkill: but food is incredibly rare in this dungeon, so if you take 4 you had better run through the game. nicely factored into the balance when you think of it like that. no idea how many levels there are, as you can see I'm stuck on level 2.
I'll dedicate a dungeon feature in your name if you can drop me another hint! (yeah, those promises always pay off eh? )
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am on level 11 or is it 12. It's a massive dungeon but great to play. I banged my head against the walls a couple of times but got a leg up from the dungeons compiler. I think anyone who can do this dungeon without a hint must be a genius. Food does get better as you go further but still preserve it as it dwindles off later.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Are you still stuck fleaboy? One of the things you mentioned in your post is the correct one. Do you remember that song
Spoiler
I'm walking backwards to Christmas
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

That song helped, surprisingly! but... that puzzle first-step sucks :)
really does - hate anything where it is not a genius to figure out, but absolute blind luck. Sorry, introduce a new game mechanic AND drop a lousy hint together, boo. That said, once you got the first step, the rest of the puzzle works nicely.
Spoiler
(I never was a fan of 'that type of special' walls in the DM original, thought they were a dumb idea)
Ok Mr Master, I owe you one dungeon feature ;)
thanks again!
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Must admit boyflea I got stuck there too. If you think that bit was difficult just wait. At least I can throw a few clues in your direction having reached level 12 but they will be very cryptic as I don't want to spoil it for you or others. In fact I am stuck myself at the moment.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Testing, I got stuck at many places. The worth one was stuck for about a week or so, there I did all I could elsewhere and came back when all I could do and map had been done. Finally I solved it.
Playing the final version, with everything being mapped, I had trouble at some tough puzzless where I did not remember all details. So far, I have done a lot but not finished yet.
It is a very large dungeon with a lot of puzzles.
A tough game, a great challenge.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Great game, though would say
Spoiler
for THAT puzzle, change the wall text to 'Step back to appreciate this puzzle'
Spoiler
If stuck, tap all walls - Sauman love those tiny buttons
Spoiler
puzzle rooms effect each other a lot, so if you are stuck, try another path... and come back
and now:
Spoiler
What was the item at the end of 'WAR path please? I collected this first and only realised what to do with after I got the other three done... so the serpent doors still shut, boo...
Great map, but would say the branches are so long you forget the main goals quite often: the puzzles come so thick and fast it get confusing! :)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Special items have a name and a look you cannot confuse with original DM and CSB items.
Are you sure you collected the special item ?
If so, I presume you have it, I doubt you dropped it.
Last edited by terkio on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

No, instead I missed another small button,
HINT to ALL:
Spoiler
Never leave a path until it is finished and you have a special item.
:)
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

ok, so
Spoiler
the SEVEN texts...
Spoiler
what do I do to even know I have selected one?
Spoiler
have been running around the whole level, tapping the texts in certain orders, but all fo this seems to do NOTHING.
what have I missed? (probably something obvious like a bank of seven switches!)
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

level
Spoiler
(thanks Terkio!)

and that's it - really this dungeon is massive! I can't get past
Spoiler
the 6 teleporters
or
Spoiler
alcoves that don't open unless I turn funny
, but I'm happy: it's been fun. 10/10. :)
triax
Novice

Post by triax »

Hi all,

I've been playing this dungeon for some hours now and enjoyed it very much so far. However, I'm stuck.

I'm on a level with 4 teleporters which lead to riddles (one of them I remember being "treasure hunt") where you have to collect bro coins and gems.

I'm stuck on the riddle with the wall text "Time Trial Relay". I've been running around the room with the four pressure plates for an hour now, but I cannot get anywhere...help?!

Any hints are greatly appreciated.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Triax.... Here's what to do!
Spoiler
This part is just a case of speed. Starting in the northeast corner (where you see "GO" on the wall), make a full circuit anti-clockwise as fast as you can. Map out the number of paces and use the keyboard for greater speed. The circles on the wall in each corner will light up solid green as you go. If they don't light up green, you were too slow. After one full circuit you'll see a message on the wall that says "Behind You". Kill the Couatl that appears, and from there you have to step on a couple of small pads and find a switch to get the gem and the coin.
Nice to see another player... I hope you enjoy the game!
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

This time I need some technical support.
I started playing DARK REIGN 2, enjoying it quite - except regular problems where RTC ist becomming really slow, its like a really slow motion, both graphics and sound.
Is the problem the amount of objects existing in the dungeon? for example, I have a lot of food stored - after killing some monsters.
I am currently in the part with 4 paths (Pestilence, Death, Famine, War), 2 are finished.
I have 2 characters, so a lot of food could by saved.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmmm... that's very strange.
I've never had (or heard about) anything like this in DR2. Though it's quite big, it's certainly not a problem with the number of objects.
I'm honestly not sure what to suggest.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

After finishing the 4-ways-4-objects-part and after some more levels upwards the problems seems to be gone..
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

That's a relief. Hopefully a one-off. Never heard of it happening before.

I just need to point out a potential dead end.
When you meet Lord Grey, don't give him anything useful or it will be lost. You can give him any object.
I cannot fix this, as most of my text files were lost a couple of years ago in a hard drive fail.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

OK, no gifts for Lord Grey.
But no relief to you either: I just entered the passage after the golden door with 4 gems (and some different creatures behind in many corridors), and the problem was again here.
After restarting RTC it was so far gone.
Maybe there is a problem with my hardware or system: I use RTC with an windows-emulator WINE on my Linux/Ubuntu. And every time I start RTC, I can really hear that the processor-cooling is going up!... (in any RTC-dungeon however)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sorry, I've no idea what the problem is.
Maybe because it's running on an emulator, but I'd be lying if I said that was anything but a guess.
I can only say it was built years ago using WinXP and runs fine on Win7. Beyond that, I don't know.
It is a large dungeon, but is 2 or 3 thousand objects fewer than Underverse.