[Custom dungeon] Dark Reign2 [RTC] [Saumun]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

[Custom dungeon] Dark Reign2 [RTC] [Saumun]

Post by Saumun »

Version: Final for RTC V0.49
Platform: RTC
Author: Saumun
Date published: 2015, January 12
Date last updated: 2015, January 13

Story:
For anyone that played the original Dark Reign, this follows on immediately (indeed in the same room that Chaos was defeated in the first game). The resulting cataclysm of Chaos' fusing has resulted in most of the original dungeon being buried in rubble. Now you must find a way out.

Notes:
Hi people... I should have uploaded this ages ago, but have been off-radar for a while now for one reason or another.
For that i apologise.
I noticed terkio has shared the old DR2 rtc file. If you are far into it, it would probably be best to just carry on. However, there is a potential dead end a few levels in... and some keys that should not be where they are, further on.
If not... here is the link for the final version.

There have been a few tweaks...
The intro and soundtrack are now included (i know some like to play without music, but you can always switch it off)
The layout beyond the starting room has been changed slightly (i had made a mistake originally. It makes no actual difference, but my OCD would not allow me to leave it).
The potential dead end a few levels in has been sorted, and the keys from further on removed (they were originally there for testing).
Ku, Ros, Neta, and Dane potions now deteriorate quicker than in regular RTC, but not so much as to be pointless. Makes for a bit more of a challenge.

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Dark Reign 2 - Full version

Post by Saumun »

Please accept my apologies for this, but i have made a slight change to Dark Reign 2.
I have deleted the original file and uploaded the new one. The link has been changed in the original post to get to the new file.

The reason for this is that when playing the rtc file, the game and mouse movement got jerky (and stayed jerky) after a certain point.
It didn't happen during testing, and didn't happen on the first run through of the compiled rtc file - but occurred on this run... The only difference was that the music files were not included on the first rtc file run, but were in this one. Don't know if it was something that happens after compilation but not in test.
For this reason, i have installed triggers to disable the music in this section... and further triggers to destroy what was happening before the music is enabled again.
This may have just been a blip, but in case it isn't i have made the changes and uploaded the new file.

Again... Apologies for the inconvenience.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I started playing the final version. I like this game so much. :D
The music is a nice enhancement.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Sauman be praised, this is extremely enjoyable dungeon!
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Thank you Boyflea... Good of you to say
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Forgot to add:
this game is incredibly devious - it needs some thought!
FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED, I HAVE MAPS YOU CAN VIEW, just mail me.

Dave
Last edited by boyflea on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

This map has an overwhelming amount of puzzles in there, and of incredibly consistent high standard.
Sauman, can I please ask you some questions? [consider this an interview :)]

How did you structure this dungeon?
How long did it take you to create?
What sort of things did yo do to test and balance this game?
What have I missed in not playing Dark Reign? [I've no idea what the plot is, but still having tremendous fun :) ]
What have you got planned next?
How do you deal with too many questions?

thanks for your time...
Dave
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I can only speak for myself here, but you're not missing too much by not playing Dark Reign. It was my first ever attempt at a dungeon, and consequently i was learning how to use the editor as i went along. Since it was started purely with a view to learning how to use the editor, there was no plot to speak of and it ended up being a rip-off of Dungeon Master (in terms of structure/layout).
I was fortunate enough to have a few people play Dark Reign, and got plenty of observations as to how it played. I have tried to take these on board for any subsequent dungeons. For instance, it was noted that there was a lot of repeating monsters in Dark Reign which meant any backtracking became a nightmare and very frustrating. You'll find hardly any in Dark Reign 2, so even if it's punishing moving forward, at least you can backtrack quickly. There was other observations, but i won't go into it or i'll be here all night.

As far as Dark Reign 2 goes, i wanted it to be harder than the first and hopefully it is. As far as a plot goes, there really isn't one. I had started another dungeon which ended up going nowhere, so i abandoned it and started Dark Reign 2. I simply thought: You've descended deep underground and fused Lord Chaos. You'll not get the adulation/riches unless you can get out...
So i thought... Start in the same room that you ended Dark Reign in, and find a way out. The way by which you came is now buried in rubble so you have to find another way. So... Dark Reign 2 runs parallel to Dark Reign 1, except in the opposite direction. There is a nod towards Dark Reign at one point but i won't reveal what it is.

I'm struggling to remember exactly how long it took to make, as i started it... left it... restarted it... left it again, etc. I suppose combined, it probably took 2-3 months but in sporadic bursts. It really depends what frame of mind i'm in. If i'm into it, i can turn out levels really quickly. For instance... After finishing Dark Reign 2 i was still in the mood, and bashed out another dungeon (The Chaos Mirror) in about 2 weeks. It isn't as big as DR2 but big enough considering how long it took (I actually released TCM first even though it was made after DR2, as i was making little tweaks to DR2).

As far as the balance of the game goes... Simply repeat playing as i went along, then testing fully myself 2-3 times, then getting a couple of other players to test it. Even then it's hard to iron out absolutely everything, and i'm not completely confident i've got the balance right in any dungeon so far... but i'll leave that for others to decide.

Next... Well i've completed just over two thirds of a new dungeon (but still a long way from finishing it). It is not in any way connected to previous dungeons and IMO better thought out, structured completely differently, and with a plot and back story. Here's hoping anyway....
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Wow, I had hoped you took forever: but 3 months! Incredible! (that's it, I quit dungeon-making! :) )
Would love to see your next dungeon, and in fact might play some of your previous works, when I finally escape DR2!
Woudl be interesting to see how you could incorporate a storyline as well: would you be using things like cutscenes and interactive characters? etc

DAVE
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

"There is a nod towards Dark Reign at one point but i won't reveal what it is."
I wonder what that is.
Very exciting.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I actually thought about cut scenes for the new dungeon, but i'm afraid i have absolutely no talent for graphics. But i have a friend that does, so you never know.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Hi,
fyi have just finished what Terkio tells me is level 7 - incredible level, thanks!
have mapped it here: (contains spoilers)
[just private mail me if you want the map]
Last edited by boyflea on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

...and back to the topic. :)

STORYTELLING:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, there is the bigger question regarding storytelling and whether it is necessary, but in case you want to, here's my 2p.

Cutscenes with infoscreens or using something like Chaos Shaman's NPC tools could be a way forward on this side. (Just go ask him).
In terms of artwork, I really love the original 8-bit dungeon style, so in order to create artwork myself I used these things:

GOOGLE:
stock photo images are a good start.
google your desire, select image tab, then select 'search tools' then select 'labeled for re-use': these images are public domain and you can find loads. (worth double checking the really cool fantasy art ones though, they probably aint)

SPECTRA:
now convert these bad boys into something retro
http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... verter.htm

PAINT:
then draw all over it. Worth hunting down original fonts, like 'PC Senior', 'Atari System 8x16', some retro fonts like 'mygirlisretro' or 'goodmorningafter' and just have fun.

MY EXAMPLES: (checkout the DSB file Two Lovers, resources here)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/89hxxfs2b6f2 ... wPyia?dl=0 for images
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i216pxc2jgwz ... B.zip?dl=0 for everything

Of course, anything better, then yes, get in a professional. :). Hell, I enjoyed making it even if no-one sees it or loves it, who cares? :D
Thing I am finding out is that if you ask for it, people here will help out as everyone is so friendly. :)

Anyway, back to your dungeon... cheers again!

DAVE
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Cheers for that Dave...

Have downloaded Spectra. Gonna have a play around with some images.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

if nothing else, terrific fun :)
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

btw: another level done, but stuck trying to find another hidden entrance... ah well :)

Level 8 done, nice.
Level 9, WIP -
Spoiler
dammit (I see dead people, but cannot get in there to kill em some more!)
If you would like to see any of my maps,
Spoiler
private message me for them, cheers
(spoilers)
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

First time poster, long time lurker...

I´ve enjoyed this dungeon so far, but now I´m pretty stuck.

"All the paths are sewn together" - There´s two tiny switches and two floor ones... What I´m supposed to do?
On the "Pestilence" path I´m stuck in the room with four floor pads... If I go to furthes one the door closes and I can´t open it again.

BTW, I finished DM & CSB without any help what-so-ever back in good old Amiga days, but now I´m pressed for time. Only reason I´m asking for a little help.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Saumun wrote: Dark Reign 2 runs parallel to Dark Reign 1, except in the opposite direction. There is a nod towards Dark Reign at one point but i won't reveal what it is.
I played again Dark Reign 1 to find out.

Indeed there is a nod :!: I found it. A great idea that makes a lot sense :D

BTW. I enjoyed again Darl Reign 1. 8)
Apart from too much monster respawning I enjoyed every bit of it.
I am not finished yet, I am near the end but stuck because of a key I miss and I forgot where it is hidden . :x
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

m1ckey wrote:"All the paths are sewn together" - There´s two tiny switches and two floor ones... What I´m supposed to do?
See Terkio - not just me! :) Hope you figured it out m1ckey
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

News is bad in this room.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Ok, I concede: I hit the wall:
Spoiler
there is a level (my 12th?) - you will have collected 4 coloured gemstones, you go through the ornate door and are shut-in.
crawl through the nice maze level, smiting foes, unlocking areas, etc. nicely done.
and now...
Spoiler
worked you way through to a SW portion of the map which contains a pattern of square corridors with corridors 'within them' and teleporters at eh corners, big black doors to the north and a 3x3 room in the middle, apparently (can only see this by looking through walls)

due south, where you came in, there lurks a vexirk behind a wall.

running around, locked in, out of food and towl thrown in - so close to the finish too I think ( I can access the level above fomr the main stairwell, though the way back now seems blocked!)
so.. any big hints? please?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

boyflea wrote:
Spoiler
worked you way through to a SW portion of the map which contains a pattern of square corridors with corridors 'within them' and teleporters at eh corners, big black doors to the north and a 3x3 room in the middle, apparently (can only see this by looking through walls)

due south, where you came in, there lurks a vexirk behind a wall.

Spoiler
Bactrack. A wall opened.
Elija
Neophyte

Post by Elija »

Excellent dungeon.

(first time poster, sorry, for my language.)

I'm stuck, somewhere in the top levels, after four paths:
Spoiler
Behind one from two Snake door opened,
- there are two hints: "First Sides to Every Story", "Second Deadly Sins",
- and 5+1 floor pads with single characters before closed door.
...please, any hints?