RTC(0.49) crashing when i try and save.

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
master
Novice

RTC(0.49) crashing when i try and save.

Post by master »

Hi everyone been playing this for years and years but all of a sudden when i save my game now crashes with the following Error.

RTC (V0.49) Diagnostic file - Mon Jul 13 13:11:34 2015

Error:
an access violation exception.

Stack Dump:
RTCModule.WTMP();
RTC.ProgStateSaving();
RTC.DoFrame(int 109);
RTC.WinMain();

Things i tried

1> starting a new game = DM1 DM2 CSB all crash when i save now :(
2> i redownloaded 0.49 and unpacked = all games stil crash with same error when i save.

I almost got to the end of DM1 with no problems on windows 8.1. Then one day the game just crashes everytime i save even if download it again or try and start a new game/new save.

All i can do is load my saves or play without saving.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: RTC(0.49) crashing when i try and save.

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi there. This is a weird problem indeed, strange that it just started going wrong for you. Did you change anything in your Windows install -- new graphics drivers, for example?

The original developer of RTC is no longer around, so we can only help to the best of our knowledge.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Might be a Hard Dive issue. Check disk and defrag !
Is the crash at savinf or when or after reloading a saved game ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
master
Novice

Post by master »

Gambit37 wrote:Hi there. This is a weird problem indeed, strange that it just started going wrong for you. Did you change anything in your Windows install -- new graphics drivers, for example?

The original developer of RTC is no longer around, so we can only help to the best of our knowledge.

No the only thing i done is ran superantispyware full system scan. I never had this problem before but i have found post here with same error from other users in older RTC versions, but i expect it is something to do with windows.

My game is unpacked also. I may just have to try CSBwin or DSB instead.

@terkio that is a good idea. The crash happens after any trying to save. I even tried starting a new game picking one players and saving it still crashes. Downloading v0.49 again and it still crashes. Loading the save works fine. I wiped the whole game off even the save , started a new game but it still crashes when saving.

Csbwin and DSB save no problems. Its just RTC . Its windows 8.1 with all updates from windows update.
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Where is your RTC folder? If it's in something like C:\Program Files (x86), you can try to move it somewhere else, the way Windows 8 protects this folder has always been a problem for me, maybe one of the last updates changed something there. On my side I put all my unusual programs in a C:\Program_bis folder.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

master wrote:Hi everyone been playing this for years and years but all of a sudden when i save my game now crashes with the following Error.

Error:
That definitely sounds like Win 8.1 is preventing RTC from writing to the folder you have it in. I have Win 8 and use the folder C:Games/RTC..." and don't have any problems with saving my games in RTC. Try moving your entire RTC folder to something like me or Igor uses and let us know if that helps.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

check to see if you can write to the folder..
keep your gor coin handy
master
Novice

Post by master »

Seriously Unserious wrote:
master wrote:Hi everyone been playing this for years and years but all of a sudden when i save my game now crashes with the following Error.

Error:
That definitely sounds like Win 8.1 is preventing RTC from writing to the folder you have it in. I have Win 8 and use the folder C:Games/RTC..." and don't have any problems with saving my games in RTC. Try moving your entire RTC folder to something like me or Igor uses and let us know if that helps.

I have the RTC in C:\games\RTC. I also tried before posting from desktop and in the downloads folder unpacked.
Igor Poulpupov wrote:Where is your RTC folder? If it's in something like C:\Program Files (x86), you can try to move it somewhere else, the way Windows 8 protects this folder has always been a problem for me, maybe one of the last updates changed something there. On my side I put all my unusual programs in a C:\Program_bis folder.
It doesn't matter where i put the folder or where is it. Still same crashes. I have the option for full control on the folder. RTC is the only thing that crashes on this laptop. DSB and CBWIN have never crashed once and both save.

Other games i have installed also work without crashing.

I have only just reinstalled windows 8.1 one month ago , It worked one day then rtc stopped working. I haven't changed anything. I had RTC on XP before this ( i started a new save on the windows 8.1)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hmmm, it could be a graphics file dimension has been changed somehow. install new into your desktop folder, don't copy save games over. I have a couple friends who have installed and run RTC on 8.1, it works for them, so something strange has to be going on.
keep your gor coin handy
master
Novice

Post by master »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:hmmm, it could be a graphics file dimension has been changed somehow. install new into your desktop folder, don't copy save games over. I have a couple friends who have installed and run RTC on 8.1, it works for them, so something strange has to be going on.

I download RTC again from this website. Even without saves it still gives same error when i save, this only started happening after 15 hours or so. Its only RTC that crashes nothing else no other version DM.

I have almost finished DM1 in DBS and DM2 in dos(dosbox)

One thing i do know is other people have posted the same error on this forum and no answer or fix has been found with RTC.

A harddrive forrmat will likey fix the problem but when it is just one game seems pointless. It doesn't matter tho i have dm csb on DSB now and DM2 in dosbox.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

In order to find a fix, we have to understand what's going wrong. The more details we get, the easier it will be...
master wrote:I have only just reinstalled windows 8.1 one month ago , It worked one day then rtc stopped working.
master wrote:I download RTC again from this website. Even without saves it still gives same error when i save, this only started happening after 15 hours or so.
I don't get it, but that's very interesting... So you've been able to save for 15 hours with a fresh "install" and now you can't? How many times did you run the game during these 15 hours? When did the error occur again (the first time you tried to save after starting a game session or like after saving 10 times in a row during the same game session)?

I've been looking at the previous posts about this problem, I only found two people, there: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=28728
The second person says it happened to him after installing a new version of Windows on his computer - same for you. Maybe you and him had other new things installed as well, maybe some antivirus or such... You may have something new that learns that RTC is saving and that decides to block it for some reason. If so, it apparently can't recognize RTC when you re-create it in a new folder (you don't even install the game, you're actually still using the same file).

I don't think that an harddrive format would solve the problem, I think it has to do with some software on your computer... If a fresh RTC "install" solves the problem for several hours, maybe you can put your RTC folder in a removable drive (maybe a USB drive) and unplug/replug it to fix the saving problems.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I would suggest it's a compatibility problem. Windows 8 or 8.1 weren't around when RTC was created. Have you tried running it in Windows XP compatibility mode? See here for details
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... on-windows
master
Novice

Post by master »

Igor Poulpupov wrote:In order to find a fix, we have to understand what's going wrong. The more details we get, the easier it will be...
master wrote:I have only just reinstalled windows 8.1 one month ago , It worked one day then rtc stopped working.
master wrote:I download RTC again from this website. Even without saves it still gives same error when i save, this only started happening after 15 hours or so.
I don't get it, but that's very interesting... So you've been able to save for 15 hours with a fresh "install" and now you can't? How many times did you run the game during these 15 hours? When did the error occur again (the first time you tried to save after starting a game session or like after saving 10 times in a row during the same game session)?

I've been looking at the previous posts about this problem, I only found two people, there: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=28728
The second person says it happened to him after installing a new version of Windows on his computer - same for you. Maybe you and him had other new things installed as well, maybe some antivirus or such... You may have something new that learns that RTC is saving and that decides to block it for some reason. If so, it apparently can't recognize RTC when you re-create it in a new folder (you don't even install the game, you're actually still using the same file).

I don't think that an harddrive format would solve the problem, I think it has to do with some software on your computer... If a fresh RTC "install" solves the problem for several hours, maybe you can put your RTC folder in a removable drive (maybe a USB drive) and unplug/replug it to fix the saving problems.

This laptop has always had windows 8 on it. I never turned the laptop on in beween it working and not working. All that change is i ran superantispyware before playing.

The second post you are talking about is steve reinstall his windows 7. He means factory reset not a upgrade , Yeah that is all i did but i never played RTC on windows 8 before.

If i put RTC on a usb disk it saves. 100% a format would fix the problem the error code means it can;t write too HHD but i clearly could because other games save.
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

I have Windows 8 and have no problems with RTC, same for Chaos-Shaman's friends using 8.1.
So I guess if you do a factory reset, you'll have RTC saving normaly again, but if you reinstall the same softwares you're using today, you will get the same problem. Maybe it's that "superantispyware" that causes the problem.
Anyway, if the USB disk trick works, I would go for it and forget about removing any other software.
master
Novice

Post by master »

Igor Poulpupov wrote:I have Windows 8 and have no problems with RTC, same for Chaos-Shaman's friends using 8.1.
So I guess if you do a factory reset, you'll have RTC saving normaly again, but if you reinstall the same softwares you're using today, you will get the same problem. Maybe it's that "superantispyware" that causes the problem.
Anyway, if the USB disk trick works, I would go for it and forget about removing any other software.

Yeah that is what i will do. I only need RTC for DM2 now. I found DSB to be better. But RTC had more customs dungerons.

Thanks for the help if i work it out fully the reason why its happening i will post here for anyone else who gets the problem. It must be somthing i installed or loosed via antispyware etc.