[Custom dungeon] Underverse [RTC] [Saumun]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lee
Artisan

Re: [RTC] New Dungeon: Underverse

Post by Lee »

Got it! I have no idea what I did the first time around.

So am I okay to progress, pickup the last rune and enter the hive? I did send my save game earlier.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes. The reason I wanted to check that switch is because the hive is the largest part, and is pretty much open-ended... So you could potentially come to any point straight away, or it could be almost the last thing you do.

Would be a nightmare to spend ages completing most of it, only to find a problem... Which is why I'd like to check it now (or rather, in the morning) before you can get too far in.
I should stress that this problem has only ever happened once (as far as I know), but has left me a little paranoid about it.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

DUE TO A POTENTIAL GAME-BREAKING PROBLEM
I will be breaking the link to the Underverse version 1.8 file.

Sorry about the loud headline, but I wanted to make clear that anyone continuing with version 1.8 is doing so at their own risk, due to a possible crash.
I say 'possible' because it's equally possible that it won't. What I thought was a one-off in Triax's game has happened to another player... and since I can no longer vouch for the integrity of the dungeon, I have decided to remove it until I can get an update ready.

I am having to work through an older, incomplete file due to losing the last few in a hard disk failure... so it may take some time.

Apologies for any inconvenience.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Look forward to this being available again - your dungeons are notoriously difficult and fun! :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

That's for sure!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Dave... I remember you playing through Dark Reign 2. I should warn you that in Underverse, the size and difficulty is ramped up much further. I'm hoping to have it sorted again in a couple of weeks.
My next dungeon, however, is a much easier and smaller (and different) affair. Part 1 is 98% complete, but Part 2 virtually untouched so i've no idea when the full thing will be ready... or whether to release them separately or together.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

This is still going to be an epic effort nontheless.
Firstly, noted that you were posting an update - is the download link now pointing to that?

And secondly: would you ever plan to release maps or walktrhorughs for the original dungeons? (or even the mapfiles themselves?)
[Or at least your own oracle list of hints... ;) ]
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The link at the top of the thread is not for the latest update. Haven't quite finished it yet on account of having to rebuild some stuff, and putting finishing touches to part one of my new dungeon at the same time.
Won't be long though.

I did have a map for Underverse, but it was a very basic one with no detail... But I lost it when my hard drive fried. CS or The Master may still have it. I don't know.
Clodius was making an excellent map for it, but don't know how far he got.

The problems with mapping it are twofold...
1) Because it's almost all on one level but very, very large (as good as double the size of DR2), a map with any level of detail would have to be split into a lot of parts, which all connect.
2) In the first three quarters of the dungeon, there are a lot of variables. Objects can be in different places, monsters could be different, and even parts of the map change depending at which point you hit silent, cycling triggers.
So in short, no one map would be comprehensive, and the chances of two people getting exactly the same game are very slim.

Walkthroughs are definitely something I'll think about, and I did actually make one for DR2 (which also got lost in the HD meltdown)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I still have that map, but Clodius has a detailed one, he's stuck and needs help. Underverse was incredible with timing events, and near impossible to finish without the dungeon map.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Clodius... Ask away if you need any hints. Happy to help.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Please do give him a hand. I sent you the version I think was 1.6 , I'll send it to you in a pm with his save games and map, his detail of Universe dungeon is in great depth.
keep your gor coin handy
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi,
I am stuck in the part going from south to north.
I passed the area with 3 blue gems, got a gold-key, and am now in an area with a garden (east), and western a room with 4 pads.
When activated, some walls in the middle disappeared, and I met some oitus (one was purple). Killed them, and discovered another room to the west with water-fountain.
To north-east of this whole area is a locked door, I think a square key is needed - but I can find any!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I know where you are, but haven't looked at Underverse for a long time.
I'll take a look at the file.

I remember a wall close to the fountain opens when you kill the white/purple oitu... or maybe when you kill them all. I can't quite remember.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Just checked.
Yes, a wall near the water fountain opens when you kill the master oitu (allowing you north, then further west).
You do indeed need a square key for the door north of the garden. It is in a large section west of that door. Carry on with your current path and you'll reach it.
You also need to collect amethyst gems for the end of this section. At the point you're at right now, you should have two.
Doesn't matter if you don't. You can go back for them later.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi, I have 2 amethyst gems so far.
I killed all oitus there (master is the purple one I suppose), and ALL walls are closed or "not fake" in the fountain room and all rooms east of it, I checked this 5 times. Should I mail you my save-game?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmm... something is wrong then. That oitu's death triggers the wall opening.
Yes, send me the save.
Best if you pm me a link, as I might have no email access later.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Stuck again in place described bevore by Lee:

" this damned blue haze puzzle in the room with invisible pits and doorways blocked by pits"

I pressed the two buttons in the southern part of the big room with pits, and now dont know what to do in the northern part with the blue haze appearing and disappearing there...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It's so big and there is so much stuff in it, it's hard to remember all the parts.
Could you narrow down where you are for me with more detail. Are you still in the southern section (south to north)?

Edit: Scratch that... I just realised where you are.
In the northern part, when you stand alongside the haze (west), it moves through the other gaps going east and opens a wall at the end. The wall closes if you don't get there in time.
Run as fast as you can from west to east, and you'll make it.

I think the buttons you already pushed open the doors, and the northern one closes the pits.... or it could be the other way around. I can't remember.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

In the north there are 4 "hallways" (2 tiles, closed at the end), where the haze appears and disappears. When I go from west to east there are 5 hallways in all: two "closed with haze"+ hallway to the central room + again 2 "closed with haze". The 4 doors to the central area are open.
When I run fast from west to east I can see the haze in the two easter hallways, but thats it. No wall opens, no pits disappear... Am I too slow?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

If you start in the northwestern corner, facing east... then run as fast as you can to the end, and sidestep right, you should make it.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

If you can't make it, send me your save and I'll take a look.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi,

3 of my 4 heroes are dead when trying to solve the green-hazes puzzle with thunders from both sides (where any spell fizzles). Is there any VI-altar around, I cant remember any on my way?...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You can resurrect by burying bones in a garden (there would have been a wall message somewhere that says "Bury Your Dead"), but you almost always lose some health/stamina.
When you bury the bones, leave the garden. It takes a few minutes... then when you go back to the entrance, they're resurrected.

I'm not sure where you are. Can you give more detail? There should be no part that can't be done without characters being killed.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Ah, wait... I think I know where you are.
If I'm thinking of the right place, the green hazes that shoot lightning can be switched off by floor pads in the south, but they're covered by walls.
The walls can be deactivated by small switches.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Hi, I found the switch finally, and it was "a little bit" easier then to finish that part (I used an earlier save-game). But the idea with burying bones was new to me - nice!
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

I am in the Hive. First let me call the 3 areas of the Hive like that
- outer areas (outside the main-circle-corridor)
- inner areas (inside the corridor)
- inner-centre (after 8 magmanites placed)
- the heart of Hive (4 runes, 4 words)

I managed to get 8 magmanites, so to enter the inner-centre of the Hive.

OK, there is an ugly creature in the heart of Hive, and 4 new runes with 4 words. Two of the word I saw before in inner areas-rooms, but never mind.
In the south-east there are 4 doors which need forge-keys, so far I got 3.
Here I saw the 4 rune-symbols from i the heart of Hive again - so I suppose to find the solution here.

In between when going around, I found 5-6 more magmanites in the Hive - will I need them? I can remove the first 8 ones from the alcoves I needed to enter the inner-centre, so in all I have now 13-14 magmanites.

I am stuck at 4 places now:

1.) In the part where is the lever "FLY". to be exact - I dont have the cross-key - so I cant get the 4th forge-key... Moreover, the cross-key will be needed to open the door in the southern inner area - kind of north of the southern Hive-entry-corridors.

2.) I also cannot pass a blue-haze in an outer-area to the east - I tried throwing everything, open-door-spell, fireballs, running, entering back...

3.) Southern outer-area - there are two levers in similar rooms where poison is shooting - and some rooms I can see on the map south of here. But nothing happens regardless how I set the two levers...

4.) In the northern outer-area - east to The Armoury - are some 5 corridors, one "endless" (it is not, I mapped every tile). Somewhere else I found a hint-scroll, but it does not help (or I dont understand it). I am trying going back and forth, walls are normal, and then I am teleported back - so nothing to do. I found stairs going down, then a pit - but here I need like 4 iron-keys, while I have not one...

PLEASE HELP - if possible, giving hints in the sequence which is best to the game..
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

As it often happens - I solved some of the problems shortly after posting my last questions... :-)

So I solved the riddle with two "poisonous" levers, got 2 cross-keys.

- After the first cross-key I got down thru a pit, killed 2 master-oitus and a red knight, and got another magmanite. But there is a small button on a wall. When I press it, I cannot see that anything happens/changes?...

- The other cross-key was to open the door near "Fly". I assume to pass one of the two teleport-tiles here I have to FLY. Well, I manage to be so quick to move the Fly-Lever, then to go back, but as I step on the tile the "flying" stops... I tried like 50 times, and I was not to slow - since I tried to stop going like 1 tile before, and I could see I am still flying.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Don't worry about the first part with the knight and switch. Where the oitus teleport out when the dagger spell shoots, the switch just stops them teleporting and they get hit by the magic daggers. If you got the magmanite, that's all you need.

The fly lever: Have you opened the extra passages beyond the cross key door? One is quite tricky, as you must be quick and observant.
Once you've opened the part with two pits blocking an alcove, go back to the fly lever and use it to cross the pits and reach the alcove.
The timing is fairly tight, but if you plan the number of steps ahead and use forward & sidestep, it's comfortably achievable.

You're almost there... You need
Spoiler
a total of 16 pieces of magmanite, but to use them in the forge you'll need to know all of the configurations for the new runes (each is named on a wall somewhere with a specific pattern... you need to know this pattern).
Remember... These new runes have already been created by the bad guy. You need to counter them.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Thanks, so I will look for the secret passages, and flying comes after them. OK!
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

OK, so far I have found all 4 new runes, and in the room with levers and the big pit I set all levers like the pattern shown.
But nothing happened in that room - though with the magic map I can see there is a tile and alcove hidden behind a wall.
Unfortunately I have only 15 magmanites!... And the only rooms in the hive I could not enter were the area behind the blue haze to the east, the riddle with Fury / Flammit (maybe this is optional), and the Chamber of Sorrow.
Well, in the Armoury I could only open 3 of the 4 cells and step on the plates getting dark armour, but I suppose here is no magmanite, right?