[Custom dungeon] Underverse [RTC] [Saumun]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lee
Artisan

Re: [RTC] New Dungeon: Underverse

Post by Lee »

Oops nevermind! Opened up another wall by going very slow instead hehe.
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Could use a little push with the disappearing grey button near the Helm of Lyf though...
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Also nevermind again! Wow I should post every time I get a little stuck, I seem to figure it out almost instantly after posting no matter how long I spend trying before!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL, yeah, this happens to me quite often too! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

So big I can't remember, make sure to use the map, this is a tough dungeon.
keep your gor coin handy
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Umm... I've just found a dungeon key but I've read pages and pages ago that some people found one from the dragon that dropped down the pit. I didn't notice one at the time and I went back ages ago after reading to see if it was there but the pit was closed and I couldn't find a way down. Now I've just found one with the eye boot things... am I going to be stuck later? If I have to backtrack from here I might just Ful Mon Ir myself against the bedroom wall :lol:
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The Dungeon Keys are not essential to complete the main objective, but are for an extra task related to the back story. Two of the four are hidden (this being one of them).
Apart from the main task, there are two minor side quests. For the other task, look out for anything belonging to King Amun.
I'm at work at the moment, but the pit in the dragon room that you mentioned should be able to be reopened.
If you go back, look for a small switch on the wall nearby. It only becomes active after the dragon is dropped.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Thank you very much, will keep that in mind!
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

OK so I'm lost now, I've tried to keep a map in my head but this place is absolutely massive lol.

I've got 4 rune tiles (LO, BRO, PAL and VI) and have opened my way through the 3 iron key doors and the ruby key door to get back to the board but obviously I need 2 more rune tiles. Could someone point me in the direction of where those missing ones would be? I'm currently standing in front of the garden where if I go west a path forks off to the left with a fountain before the knight rooms and the 4 lever puzzle rooms (which were very well done by the way!).

I've got 4 characters and food has never been a problem, got 2 chests full still and I've only used 1 seed to see what happened and the rest are unused in the garden alcove for emergencies. But there's just so many pathways I don't know where to go now to get the other 2 rune tiles lol. I've opened the left hand opal gem room by using the ebon gem in the yellow haze to swap but I haven't found the other opal gem to open the right hand gem room. I currently have only 1 dungeon key on me, no other keys.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

For some reason, I was having to rack my brains to remember where they were in this section.
One is through the other gem door, so I'll start there.
The other opal gem is further back, and is roughly in the region where you found the dungeon key. Keep checking the magic map and look out for a blue haze in that area. The gem is in the haze, but you have to approach from both sides to turn the haze off. One way is past a rectangular corridor with a couple of floor switches where you have to go clockwise and anticlockwise to reveal pressure pads (can't remember in which order), and the other is through a room full of monsters and a moving pit going round a square.

As for the tile locations... Again, I can't remember which is which.
One is in a room of invisible pits, with levers that release wasps.

Next is slightly west and south of where you find the trident. It's in a large room with pits turning on and off, and some blue buttons.

One is close (slightly east) of the garden, in walls that turn to blue hazes and back again.

Another is through the rooms with knights after the four puzzle rooms.

Next is through the other opal gem door. Beware... This area is tough and frustrating.

Finally, there is one close to the end where you have to get two keys of b (I think). It's close to some wall writing, and one key is through an area with scorpions. Look for a grey button appearing and disappearing that turns off a blue haze. Once the haze is off, you can step on the pressure pad it was blocking. The pad sets a nearby wall opening and closing with the key inside.
The other key is slightly west of here in a grid like area. There are eight hazes switching on and off. You must walk through all of them to open the wall with the key. Difficult to do without the magic map, as they don't stay on for long .
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Hmmm, let's see.

So I need the other opal gem obviously but I'm trying to remember where I got the dungeon key! I think it was underneath something else I picked up but I don't remember where. The rectangular corridor revealing 2 pressure pads does ring a bell though, I've been there so if I can find that again I'll use that as a starting point.

The one with invisible pits and wasps, hopefully that's the same room as the 2 alcoves with a visible pit in front of both that turns off when the levers are hit... if so I have that one.

I found the trident although I didn't use it and left it somewhere to save carrying weight lol. I'm not totally sure on the large room with pits turning on and off with blue buttons... so I'm not sure if I have the tile from this location or not. I hope I do.

I've been in the walls that turn to hazes so hopefully I picked that one up.

Definitely got the one with the knights/4 puzzle rooms.

Definitely got the one with the 2 keys of B/scorpion room/blue haze appearances.

Sooooooo... I need the other gem to get one of the missing tiles, that's for sure. But the other one? Could be the trident one. This could take a while.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Saumun,
Don't you have the source file to check where things are with the editor ?
Forgive me....my sons call me Captain Obvious.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Terkio
No... Through my own stupidity, I no longer have it.
My hard disk broke, and the only other place I had it was on an old memory stick which I lost in work.
Should have put it in cloud storage... Hindsight!
I do still have the hard disk though, so I'm hoping I can somehow get at the files.

Lee
The room with the pits (near the trident) and the haze with the opal gem are quite close to each other.
The general area is just after the room with the invisible pits/levers/wasps (that had the pits in front of the alcoves).

Some of the things in that rough area are... A room that had pressure pads which moved around, a short corridor with a knife shooter and fireball shooter, room full of oitus, the trident.
You get a key in the oitu room which opens a door a little to the west, that has a room with pressure pads, shooters and a lever. Pulling the lever closes a pit a few squares west, that allows you into the pit room.

North of here is the haze with the gem, but you have to take two different passages to switch it off..... and for some reason, it's only just occured to me that both passages are opened with gold keys.
If you've opened these passages with the gold keys then you may have already switched off the haze and maybe missed the gem, as it is difficult to see on the floor.
You would have got the dungeon key after some green hazes with lightning bolts shooting around.
The gem is quite close to this area.
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

This is useful, thanks! I'll have to get into it tomorrow or Tuesday but the gold keys are something I had forgotten about... I did find one and used it but there's another door needing a gold key that I didn't find so I obviously didn't complete that area properly before wandering off somewhere else lol
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Plans were cancelled tonight so I've caught up :) placed the next 6 rune tiles and saved it just through the next black door on what I'm assuming is the final journey to collect the last 6 tiles to get in the Hive. Bed time!

I just wanna say Saumon thanks for creating this. I had played a few other custom dungeons before but this brings me right back to my childhood memories of not being able to wait to get home from school to fire up the Amiga and carry on delving deeper in the original Dungeon Master. The only difference now is it's 20 years later lol but I can't wait to get home from work to fire up RTC and carry on delving deeper in Underverse!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Thank you Lee... That's very kind of you to say.

Just need to mention a point I remembered. I tested the whole thing many times, and a couple of others went through it.
Out of the blue recently, Triax played and came to a place in the hive that caused the game to crash. It had never crashed there before, so I'm not sure why... But just in case, I'd like to suggest you create a save game somewhere in this section that you never overwrite. Preferably before you enter the hive.

There shouldn't be a problem and that is the only occasion it happened but ultimately it doesn't matter, because if it does happen you can send me your save game and I'll sort it out.
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Spent the last couple of days trying to figure out how to get the 3rd blue gem for the ornate door. Text a chemists smelly cog - perhaps some kind of anagram but I can't figure it out. Can't find any more switches or pads or levers in the haze area where I got the first 2 blue gems... have I missed something previously before this part maybe?
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Got it! That was pretty hard...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, it's an anagram but is a clue general to this whole section.
It concerns a certain type of gem... one of which you should already have.
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

I have four of them at the moment :)
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

I'm no good at riddles... am I in danger of having put equipment down somewhere earlier in the game that is now needed to put in this alcove (twice the middle)?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

No equipment needed. Think about where the three switches are, after you go through the door where you got the riddle.
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Yeahhh I found 2 keys :)

Now the only thing left... I think... is this damned blue haze puzzle in the room with invisible pits and doorways blocked by pits. I've run around here for an hour, I'm missing something simple I bet.

EDIT: I swear to god I solved it about a minute after posting :lol:
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Oh dear... it gave me a rune, I was thinking (or rather hoping) it would be the 6th amethyst gem. So now I'm stuck with 5 runes and 5 gems... where to go?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Gems
1. In an alcove in a room with the shield of sky and a necklace.
2. After the three blue gems are returned to you, and you have to put them in slots to get a key. A room has a green haze that shoots fireballs. When you open a nearby door (releasing a knight), the haze turns yellow and has the gem inside.
3. After some blue haze teleporters and spinners. Materializers are released when you pick it up.
4. On the other side of a section of pits. Struggling to remember the precise location, but I think it's not too far west or maybe northwest of the garden.
5. After going through a pit blocked by a blue haze and guarded by a golem. Get a key from the skeletons, resurface, then get another hidden in a wall blocked by hazes (zombies here and small switches that turn off the hazes), then go through the numbered rooms by following the patterns. Watch out for the shooter at the end.
6. Close to the end. Place with green hazes shooting lightning. Use switches and pads to turn off the lightning, and levers to get through the doors. Get keys to open the middle part and drop through the pit. Kill the knights to open the teleport back up. Also there is a
Spoiler
dungeon key
around here.

These are probably not in the exact right order.
Will post about the runes shortly.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Runes
1. In the area where you first had to get the three blue gems, in a room full of pits.
2. In an alcove just before the garden.
3. Following the main path north from the garden until it turns west. Three doors close to each other where you need to find coins and keys. Rune is at centre of the three doors when you complete the three routes.
4. The last one you got in the room with invisible pits.
5. Past the riddle you mentioned. Large area with a few different parts to complete. The 'wine cocktails'/mummies/ghosts/shooters bit.
6. Lightning being shot around a square of green hazes, with materializers. Once through, you'll need a ra key which you should have gotten earlier (in the area with the three doors).
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Thanks for taking the time to list all that! Let's see...

The gem sounds like it's part 4 :lol:

As for the runes, does it still say wine cocktails on the wall or did you change it to go against the clock and don't look back? I haven't seen wine cocktails anywhere. To be fair I'm gonna have to go and re-check part 1 and 2 because it's sketchy.... 3,4 and 6 are definitely done.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The 'wine cocktails' text is part of the section after the near/far/middle riddle.
Four doors needing square keys (I think). To get them, you do various things to close the pits in the main area. Each time you uncover a key, another part opens. There are mummies below.

If you've done that one, then it may well be no.1 since it's very easy to miss because you're looking to get blue gems.
The pit room that it's in is just before a room full of poison shooters and pressure pads on each square.

I doubt you'll have missed no.2 because you don't have to do anything to get it. It's just sitting in an alcove. Pretty sure no.2 is the Mon tile.
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Right so I went back and got the missing gem from point 4, that little pit room I must've just said to myself I'll get to after finishing whatever I was doing and then forgot! In the process of going back I've also definitely ruled that the missing rune is either part 1 at the very start with the blue gems but most probably part 5 because I've never seen the wine cocktails text and also didn't find the area in my backtracking. I placed my runes in the wall and it's the VEN rune missing.

I know you've said it's after the near/far/middle riddle... it's not through the gate where the rewards are is it? I may have missed a switch. Because as far as I can tell the only place 'after' the riddle is the door that opens automatically when you approach it where to the left it branches out for you to enter your 6 gems *scratches head*
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

In the riddle area, when you press the middle switch the second time (twice the middle), the centre bit (where the plate of sky was) should open up.
If that didn't happen, I don't know what went wrong and I'll take a look.