[RTC] Fluxated

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
palyarmerc
Novice

[RTC] Fluxated

Post by palyarmerc »

"Fluxated by having to use the Firestaff? Did you spend days fire-balling Chaos and he never died?

Well I've set a trap - and now we shall kill him, and maybe, even get to relish the result..."

Small-ish dungeon, to mimic the original, not tested, so hoping those who go first are willing to volunteer

If you want to wait until someone has finished it, then notification that the Dungeon is error free will be posted here.

Have fun guys, I got bored and rushed the finish (you know how it is) but I'm pleased with what is there.
I will release the fluxated.txt once someone has completed the dungeon.

Two versions, standard or using L_ghthouses HD update (just drop 'em into your Modules folder)

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Saumun
High Lord

Re: [RTC] Fluxated

Post by Saumun »

Seem to be stuck at the second door near where you
Spoiler
put boulders in an alcove
. As it stands, i've
Spoiler
been through the fake walls on this level and got some good stuff, opened the doors with gor coins and got three gold keys, been through part of the level below via a pit and went through the 'push on'/poison bit... the odds/try again bit... then got ten silver coins from the caged hell hounds. I have opened the first door close to the boulder part from behind with lockpicks but am stuck at the second. Also, i have a cross key but can't remember where i got it from (think it was the level below)

Any pointers to what i've missed?
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

You're doing well - I was worried some of the paths may have been too well hidden.
From what I can gather, after the Gor coins, you should exit that level and open a fake wall to reveal the use for the cross Key.
The second door should open with the same key used in the boulder room.
Spoiler
If you didn't see it (darned grey keys) the key you need was under a boulder in the boulder room
I've overlooked the possibility you can enter the Hounds level thru a pit - you need to proceed via the Boulder level.
As you are trying anyway, so thank you for seeing that error.
First change will be to make sure adventurers stay on path and cannot move out of the room from that 'Boulder Level' pit.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Dammit... Knew i must have missed something. Cheers!

Will me already doing part of the level below cause any issues as i go on? Ie... maybe hitting triggers that i shouldn't have been able to.
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

Luckily, no. Being the wrong side of a door you cannot open is the only foreseeable problem.
Touch wood you make it thru in one sitting and I only have the odd improvement to make.

As for improvements, hopefully that will mostly be about levelling up, monster strength and numbers - hopefully
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Got through it without any issues.
Now stuck again on the scorpion level. Can't figure out how to
Spoiler
get into a room with a scorpion inside. The room is enclosed by three portcullis' and a wooden door. I have already killed the scorpion with poison through the a portcullis, and can see that it has dropped something (hopefully an emerald key). The wooden door has another door behind it that starts to close and then opens again (though it doesn't show as a door on the magic map). Since this one has a keyhole, i assumed it was the way in but it accepted a gold key and nothing happened.
Spoiler
I wondered if the way in was connected to the torch sconces nearby, and discovered the sconce on the western wall near the door makes torches disappear. I tried a few, but again nothing has happened.
Spoiler
Before killing the scorpion with poison, i thought maybe you had to kill it by dropping the second door on it... but this would have taken forever, and in any case the scorpion kept wondering off.
I hadn't mapped up to this point, but decided to map this level. Can't see anywhere else to go, so again.... have i missed something, or is the door thing a bug?
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

This is where save games come in handy - I've done a Sierra Soft. on this one

When you enter the level, two fire pits block your way. If you use a gold key (door Open), instead of the lock picks,
(tested: left hand side) the key toggles closed and the lock-picks are deactivated (they won't toggle the door open/closed)

Second Bug that needs to be addressed - thank you - if you have a save, just try not to use the gold keys where the lock picks work (...for now :-)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sorry... not quite with you. Or rather, i'm with you on the bit at the start of the level, but i still had a gold key when i reached the wooden door to the last scorpion room. The keyhole accepted it, but nothing happened. Is this one supposed to be for lockpicks?
Also, the torches that disappear when you put them into the sconce near that door. Is that deliberate or a bug?

I'll have to go up a couple of floors (my last save), but since i know what i'm doing up to this point it shouldn't take too long to get back. I should know by now to save more often.... *slaps forehead*.

I'll probably get back to it tomorrow.
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

Yeah, the sconce eating your torches is a bug.
The door causing your trouble was cut-n-pasted on top of an existing door. Fixed it now.

Unfortunately, anyone who has downloaded the dungeon in the last 8 hours has a duff copy
Stop playing now if you're one of those.
The fix I uploaded 8 hours ago was a test version, and I'd removed all monsters (and consequently some keys) from Level 6 ..oops
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay... I'll wait for the fixed version. Maybe break the links at the top of the thread.
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

Well, as the first adventurer, I did mention you may also be a beta-tester
You have highlighted two errors and were only really 2 levels from completion
I'm convinced, and yet could be proved wrong, that the dungeon is now working

how do feel the dungeon played? I still need to know whether you were too strong for the monsters or vice versa
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I think it plays well. The balance is nice.
The champions are maybe a bit on the strong side starting out, and the monster respawns in the early part seem to come pretty fast... but to be fair, i wasn't really paying attention to where the triggers were.
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

Current release linked in first post (as of this post date-time-stamp)

Fixed entering a level too soon through a pit
Fixed Scorpion Level Door error
Fixed possibility of not having Lock Picks on Level 3
Fixed not having the correct key for some doors on level 3
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Found a dead end on level 3 that needs fixing.
The slots that take the gor coins don't disable, so you can put more than one into a single slot stopping you from getting all the keys.
I accidentally put two coins in the same slot. Luckily my last save wasn't too far back, so i'm ploughing on.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sorry to report this.... more dead ends.

In the rooms you get teleported to via the gor coins, the monsters can go inside the blue hazes. Since you can kill the monsters in the hazes, they can drop the keys in a position that is impossible to get at (ie... the corner).

Further on from here when you get to the rooms with rockies and some goodies, the door at the entrance to the room closes behind you. Just past this part you need to use a skeleton key. If you enter the previous area without it, i can't see any way of getting back because of the closed door.

On the subject of the skeleton key(s)... I reloaded a save to get the key and now i'm not sure where it is. I think it's in a behind a portcullis in a chest with a quiver next to it on level 3 (near the boulder room), but for some reason i'm unable to open this door. I'm sure i opened it on my first play, so maybe i've just forgotten something.
Also, last time i had two skeleton keys. Is there one on an earlier one that i have missed on this run?
Any pointers here would save me a lot of time.
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

Yeah, the room with the Rockies I'd realised some doors needed a Square key, which you wouldn't have.
Threw in a spare set of lock picks too.
I did think about that door closing on you too, but hoped you'd have a Skeleton key stashed on you by default.

There are two Skeleton Keys, one in the Chest as you described, and one in a bag with a Key of B, on the Orange Gem level.

I'll change the Haze problem, but for now, saving before battle is the best work-around
and that portcullis closing, I'll make sure the adventurer has what he needs in the next update.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Problem is i'm stuck now. Can't seem to open the door to the skeleton key, and can't remember what i did the first time around.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sorry man.... Scratch that last post. Realised it was back on last level. Got it and ready to go again now!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay finished.... Nice little dungeon!
A few things might need tidying up a little, but just aesthetics... nothing to do with gameplay.
For example, the blood lock displays the alternate bitmap then reverts to the non-key bitmap when you use it. For the onyx locks, maybe clone it and change the alt bitmap so it is the same as the regular one... Looks a little strange when you use the key, and the lock is displayed with the key inside and you still have the key.
Also, at the end the key is wrong. A VI key fits a YA lock.
There are odd clicks missing here and there, and there seems to be no end game trigger. It just stays on the final square until you quit the game yourself.

These are minor things though, and don't detract from the general gameplay. Overall i enjoyed it a lot.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hpw do I get out of the hall of champions?! Have picked my team, but can't progress.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Spoiler
Ah, fireball he door. But did not break it down at first with a spell from Gando so I originally dismissed the idea.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Could someone help me locate the magic map please.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

If i remember right, it's
Spoiler
on the first level (calling the floor below the hall of champions as level 1), but is part of the route through the second level where you have to go back up for a key.
I don't think you can progress beyond level 2 without reaching here, so you're bound to come across it. I think it's in a bag or a chest.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Still not able to find it. I have got down to the bit where it says Do Not Open These Doors. Others are mentioning the Scorpion level and the boulder room but I haven't found any of these places. I think I must have tapped every wall without finding a false one. Can someone give me a push start from where it mentions the grapple on the wall writing.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You need to do something with the door that corresponds to the pit (where the grapple is).
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am now stuck in the passage way just before the wall sign "Death from above". I am getting gassed before I can even move and losing 2 players straight away. When I have ventured on with the one remaining player into the room with the metal mickeys I have tried going up but it wont let me. Can some one please give me a hint for this area please?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

When i played, the poison in "Death from above" was quite low level, and didn't do much harm I wonder if this has been changed in an update.
I also don't remember any knights here (unless one was dropped from the level above).
After "Death from above", there is
Spoiler
an area with silent teleports, and something about "Odds" written on the wall.
You need to get through here to get a key. It's in a part with
Spoiler
dogs behind portcullis doors (the dogs have silver coins which i found no use for later on, so don't think that part needs to be done).
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Thanks Saumun I think the gas must have been upped a bit since you played it. One step forward and 2 characters blitzed immediately. In the room with the wall sign death from above outside I can see at least 3 knights inside so god knows how I'm going to get past them.
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

The biggest problem I had creating my dungeon was knowing how the adventurer 'level up' would affect traps and monster 'hit points'
Setting the strengths as levels progressed was guess work. It depends on how many monster spawns you had to deal with. On early levels, if you didn't trigger them, you wouldn't level up much.
The Knights are only there if you dropped 'em thru the pit on the level above.
They're no so tough, but just avoid being trapped by them.
Hope you're enjoying the dungeon.

True about the silver coins, utterly pointless, but it's always nice to have plenty of cash, never know when you might need it

As promised, here's the FLUXATED.TXT in a zip folder
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Is Lord Chaos killable. I've been dodging out throwing fireballs at him but he's still stood there.