Return To Chaos - Terminal Error

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RIPclass
Neophyte

Return To Chaos - Terminal Error

Post by RIPclass »

Hello everybody again,
As I was playing without any problems, during my second run I stopped playing due to this error that shows up every time I try to save:
RTC (V0.49) Diagnostic file - Thu Jan 05 22:47:42 2017

Error:
an access violation exception.

Stack Dump:
RTCModule.WTMP();
RTC.ProgStateSaving();
RTC.DoFrame(int 109);
RTC.WinMain();

Can somebody give me a hint on what should I do? I don't want to lose the save file, cause the run is going pretty good! Thanks in advance
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Return To Chaos - Terminal Error

Post by Saumun »

Hmm... Haven't seen this one for a while. I've never had this problem myself, but others have in the past.

Have you changed anything at all on your computer recently? Which OS are you using?
I think you should start with moving your save game files somewhere, delete and then download and unpack RTC again, then move your save files to the new modules folder.
Maybe try installing it in a different location (though I've never had a problem wherever it is unpacked from... Even running it straight from a memory stick).
If a fresh install doesn't work, then I'm not sure what the problem is.
Does the error occur when saving in all parts of the dungeon, or is it in one particular area?
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Did you unpack the game from the zip file first? Might sound a daft question, but several people have had save problems because they were just playing the game from within the zip file.
RIPclass
Neophyte

Post by RIPclass »

...first of all, thank you for the fast answers! Now, answering to you both;
"Did you unpack the game from the zip file first? [...]"
- I extracted the game from the .zip files I've found online ( not from the RTC website, by the way, because the download link is down/dead !!! ) so it shouldn't be related.
"Have you changed anything at all on your computer recently? Which OS are you using?[...]"
- I am currently using Windows 10, and I asked myself the same thing to be honest because the first week I was playing without anything else going in the background. Yesterday I opened Spotify and just then it began doing this weird trick.
[...]"Does the error occur when saving in all parts of the dungeon, or is it in one particular area?"
- I should actually try moving to a completely different area, thanks for the tip!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I must admit that I'm clutching at straws a little with that last part about different parts of the dungeon. I doubt it would make any difference, but truthfully I've no idea.
Win10 is the only version I have never tried it with, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I think deleting RTC (keeping your saved games) and then downloading and unpacking it again is your best bet.

The last time I tried it from ragingmole the link was broken... But there are others on this forum.
RIPclass
Neophyte

Post by RIPclass »

I actually tried the different zone to save from, and it WORKED! Thanks!! :D
Mods can close this topic
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

That's good to hear... Though it leaves me rather confused as to why. Anyone have an idea?