[RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: [RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Post by Saumun »

Yes, there is now food in the guard tower and the inverse reality.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

I´ll give it a spin, when I have time...
Looking forward to part 2!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

To be honest, it’s almost identical to the one you’ve already finished.
I wanted to fix a couple of things, and just decided to add a couple of bits and update some graphics.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Saumun wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 am To be honest, it’s almost identical to the one you’ve already finished.
I wanted to fix a couple of things, and just decided to add a couple of bits and update some graphics.
Sure. I liked this dungeon so much that I don´t really mind running through it once more.
Consider me a "tester", with prior knowledge :wink:
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

:D Okay man... Enjoy!
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Hi Saumun,

will there be a part 2? :)
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes.
I didn’t touch it for many months because I was busy with other stuff, but I’m now back on it.
Can’t say when it will be done, but I’m working on it pretty regularly.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

we're here if you need something Saumun
keep your gor coin handy
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Been out of the DM Forum for quite some time, but took a look a couple of days ago and found this custom dungeon. Seemed interesting and I'm giving it a go. Already stuck of course!

Any help on the following will be appreciated :D

Caves
--south, concentric square area with 4 pads in outer square and 4 in inner square --
Spoiler
4 inner pads don't seem to activate the moveable walls to allow access to center pit, must be missing something here
Ku
--trap the two knights puzzle, trapped one but
Spoiler
can't trap the one that won't follow you onto the pad/trigger
--trolin behind door next to golden fountain
Spoiler
can kill him, but he just respawns not sure what to do here
Cememtary
--
Spoiler
freed the ghost and he said something about graves/treasure now being accessible, but I don't see how. The door in the caves that you get to from the guard tower pits floor is still closed
For Sauman,

When I did the
Spoiler
zo reflector room
the switch can still be stuck as de-active if the
Spoiler
reflector is moved to the S wall
The annoying gurgling water sound from the guard tower doesn't seem to deactivate. Could be a bug, as RTC can be buggy with sound.
Maybe these can be tweaked if you do another update.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
You need to hit the 4 pads very quickly in succession. If you hit all 4 and the wall doesn’t open, wait a few seconds before trying again to let the timer reset.
Spoiler
Have you found the mind control spell in the caves below the guard tower? It can have different effects on certain creatures (the knight, the trolin, and a few more as you progress).
Spoiler
The skull key will let you access a number of places, but you need to kill the dru tan before getting access to the graves. You must drop through the pits in the guard tower. There is another door that opens up the part below the tower with the rest of the caves... but you need the skull key. Look for fake walls under the tower.
Someone else previously mentioned the water sound not switching off, but I couldn’t recreate it. I’ll take another look but I think it’s a bug because the triggers that turn it off cannot be avoided.

The lever on level four of the guard tower, I’ll need to take another look. This has happened before, but I thought I had fixed it. Obviously not.

Thanks for pointing these out.

Part 2 is now more than half finished, so if I can continue working on it at a decent pace, I’ll include the part 1 fixes alongside it and release the full dungeon (both parts).
If I get slowed up, I’ll just release an update of part 1 with fixes.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Saumun,

Thanks for the hints.

4 pads done - I had gone around several times before but wasn't fast enough. This time I just wrote out the sequence of numbers and mashed the keyboard without looking at the screen. Seems like I usually have to do it this way to be fast enough on timing puzzles.

Didn't find the spell. Looked again. Didn't find it again. I map the dungeon in the RTC editor as I go. I found 3 fake walls all in corridor with the teleporter back up to the moving pits room. Are there other fake walls?

Is
Spoiler
Dru Tan supposed to be in the 3x3 room with center wall that you use the skull key to open the portcullis? He wasn't in there
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
When you drop through the pits in the northwest corner of the guard tower, and open the skull key door, the room you enter (the one you mentioned) has a lever. That lever teleports you back in front of the door where you entered... but it also opens the other door in that room. The other door closes automatically after a few seconds, so you must run to get through it.
The Dru Tan is here, along with the spell scroll.
You also get access to one side of the graves.
Spoiler
The pauper’s grave (that is under the tombstone with no inscription) will not open until the graveyard ghost (the pauper) is killed, but you’ve done that so should be able to open them all.
Spoiler
Southwest of where you drop through the tower pits is another door that opens the section beneath the tower with the rest of the caves.
Did you get the magic map tablet from the caves? It’s very useful in this dungeon (and almost essential for a later part). The merchant roaming the northwest of the town will upgrade it to a rune tablet. Then you can use the map spells without having the runes.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Thanks Saumun,

Yes, I have the map and have upgraded it.

I saw the lever and have used it, but just didn't RUN back through. I'll try that.

I had already used the skull key to open up to the rest of the caves.

Currently exploring the caves on the Temple quest.

BTW, the priest that gives you the quest can go back to a monster attractor between the 2 inner doors and get stuck there. You then can't get past him to leave the temple. Had to do a re-start there and be sure I didn't let him get to that attractor so I could leave. He doesn't seem to go there once you have the quest and have left. I'd suggest removing a table, adding a teleporter and keeping him in one of the 2x2 rooms.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Thanks for the info.
There are no attractors in this area, but there are teleport/blockers around the centre to prevent the abbot from wandering too far.
So it might be a good idea for me to add an attractor, so that if the abbot steps on the centre square he will move to one of the rooms.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Saumun,

Yeah, anything to keep him from getting stuck in the center tile should work.

Ran to Dru Tan this time, no issues there.
Spoiler
Used the mind spell on the knight and trolin, got the bronze keys and went to get the Ku rune, but I missed a fuse somewhere.
I'm not sure if I found the one in Ku or Ros as I used one in Ros but I could have found it in either part. I don't record everything on my maps, generally just the tiles and a few landmarks so that I don't get lost. Any hints on where the two
Spoiler
fuses
are at?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sure...
Spoiler
The fuse in Ku is beyond where you fight the black dragon. The wall only opens when you successfully open the door with the zo shooter.
Spoiler
The fuse in Ros is in the northeast beyond one of the rooms where you find the silver keys. It only opens after you use the third silver key.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Missed the Ros one. I hadn't gone back and looked. I'm not good at going back and looking for random walls opening up when a non-related event occurs, but I should have known that something was back there from my map. There was too much empty space.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Saumun,

OK I must have missed an important item.

Completed the GT, KuRos, Caves
Spoiler
can't enter the basement of the broken key house yet, don't have the key, can't open the double porticullis doors E of the flame pits (probably open from the other side) and can't go to the W underground cemetery (grappling rope from below through pit?)
and Temple Quest.

Seems like the next place to go is the Bellande house, but I guess I don't have the item needed to prove my worth. Or is there somewhere else to go?

Any help appreciated. Good dungeon so far, 48% completed.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

DM_Player,

Forget the house with the broken lock for now. You will find a way in at a later time.
The portcullises you mention are indeed opened from the other side.
The western side of the graves can be accessed if you can get over the pit.
Spoiler
You’ll notice the pit that blocks you is smaller than the large pit directly above. Maybe something large could cover it. There may be something useful in the junkyard.
If you’ve approached the guard at Bellande House, you’ll have had a scroll delivered to you mail, saying only a Yairra can enter.
Spoiler
Ya Ir Ra - Mind Control
The first part of Bellande House may seem a little contrived and not obvious what to do. There is a clue scroll but it’s a bit vague.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Thanks Saumun,

Cemetary -
Spoiler
Totally missed seeing that tabletop in the Junkyard
Bellande House - Duh!
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

OK, went in the Bellande house got off the 1st floor with Saumun's help, finished (?) the 2nd floor, got access to the 3rd floor but can't open the door yet
Spoiler
could be a problem here as well. I'm missing the Gor, Dain and Sar runes and the 2nd incantation needs Dain, don't have the 3rd yet to open the door
, went in cellar, found the spider lair
Spoiler
only foot plate in there, was expecting a gear
found the bones and hints.

Now I'm stuck again, no new places to go
Spoiler
without a gear to open the door in front of the pit
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The black door on the top floor will open..,
Spoiler
when you stand in front of it while carrying all three incantation scrolls.
You should have two keys from the cellar, for the two doors in the north.
For the gear, look closely at the walls in the spider lair...
Spoiler
specifically at the cobwebs.
Don’t worry about those runes yet. They’re still to come.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Saumun,
Spoiler
specifically at the cobwebs.
I checked them again, but still don't see it. Nothing seems to be clickable to pick anything up?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Go to the far end of the spider lair (where the red spider was).
Spoiler
There is something different about one cobweb. There is nothing clickable, but you can cut it.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Thanks Saumun.

Cleared the sewers but must have missed something, as I can't get the cursed rune?

Opened 3rd floor of the house, but haven't figured out that puzzle yet. party just teleports back and forth.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You’ll need to go back to the sewers. Once there...
Spoiler
take the route to the dain rune, and turn north. Keep heading north and look for a fake wall. There is an item that will take the possession from the rune if you’re wearing it (the vexirks won’t appear).
Spoiler
The teleport stopping you getting the cloak on the top floor will deactivate when you open the portal (cast the incantations in order (in the pentagram)).
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Hmmm, I'd swear I looked several times at those walls. Was this another change after an event puzzle? or did I just miss it?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I can’t remember for sure, because I’m going purely from memory (haven’t looked at it for a long time), but I think it’s when you pull the nearby lever.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It does come down to recollection. I will begin to write stuff down more often when playing future dungeons in order to remember because what I am finding is that dungeons are begin to merge into one and it becomes difficult to remember what was what.
keep your gor coin handy
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

I managed to get through the first door maze puzzle (before the teleporter) and the second door maze puzzle (the 6 doors in a column) by luck but then died falling down the unexpected hole. I hadn't saved the game after getting through the maze, but before falling down the hole, and now I can't get back past the first door maze puzzle :oops:

Appreciate some help on this puzzle :D