[RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: [RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Post by Saumun »

Aaah... *slaps head*.... I’ve just realised where you mean.

Don’t worry about it. You’re right. It is inaccessible from this level, but it is accessible from another.... and there is something in there.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

:-)

yeah, tried everything, figured it had to be from somewhere else.

well, got 4 runes to go and everything done xept bellande, goin there next.

thx again for that awesome dungeon.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

After trying to enter the cross-way from each possible direction and heading away into each possible direction for multiple times, battling the creatures on each try, it seems I just don't get it. Simlply nothing happens, or maybe I am too stupid to notice how to do it :)
Since I still have the teleport part to do and the rest of the inverted reality, including the keep and two other golems, and my party is also running out of food, I guess there's no other decision as to give up at this point.
I really enjoyed the dungeon, but it seems I created myself a dead end at this time.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Leslie,

I’ve sent you a pm with more detail.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Leslie wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:02 pm After trying to enter the cross-way from each possible direction and heading away into each possible direction for multiple times, battling the creatures on each try, it seems I just don't get it. Simlply nothing happens, or maybe I am too stupid to notice how to do it :)
Since I still have the teleport part to do and the rest of the inverted reality, including the keep and two other golems, and my party is also running out of food, I guess there's no other decision as to give up at this point.
I really enjoyed the dungeon, but it seems I created myself a dead end at this time.
Don´t give up! There´s nothing really unfair in this dungeon. You can always get more food from the town.
Where you are now - fight/war cry the leftmost monster and keep going while checking your rune map. There should be a new hallway opened.
The teleporter puzzle also baffled me at first. Like I said before, I mapped the place out on a piece of paper. Which teleporter is connected to which square etc.
The golems aren´t hidden or hiding, you´ll meet them sooner or later while exploring the keep grounds.

When I get really frustrated with a dungeon, I usually sleep on it. Maybe give it a day or two. When you come back to it, somehow everything seems a little bit clearer.

OR ask for help here :lol:

Back in the 80´s, when I was completing original DM for the first time, the puzzle behind "when rock not rock" got me so frustrated I quit playing for weeks. When I got back to it, it seemed so simple.

HANG ON! 8)
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Well, some PMs and patience with the teleport puzzle helped.
I don't think I would have figured out the crosway puzzle on my own...
I now completed the cauldron recipe, causing the cauldron's eyes to glow red. Is that all with the cauldron, or should I get something out of it?
Also opened the RA locks and explored the keep a little. It seems I miss another solid key to open the door behind the teleport/pit speed test.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

There’s a key in a place you haven’t been yet.

For your other thing...
Spoiler
Deep thought is fine, but sometimes brute force is better.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Ah, I see... I went down the pit and am now in a room which cannot be left anymore in which three spirits are getting summoned. Obviously, again I am missing something, since I cannot even destroy one of them before they kill me.
Tried stuff like freeze life and war cry also, but no luck.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

They cannot be killed (at least not at first).
There is an alternative way out of there. It involves the spell I mentioned in the last pm, and a certain object found in these same caves.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I know the spell from the PM and also from the scroll in the keep, but I did not yet find anything in the caves besides an Onxy gem and a steak. Seems I have not yet been at the right place.
In this case, since the door does not open again, I guess the only way leaving the room is the teleport rune to Bellande's house?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It’s much further back than you’d need to go with the object in the caves, but yeah... that works.
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

does anyone know how to kill the 3 ghosts in the caverns under the cauldron?
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I guess you are pretty much at the same room as I am.
As I learned from Saumon, they cannot be killed. You have to teleport out of the room. See posts above.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

In these caves, you drop into the centre of the level. Ultimately you need to get into the room behind an iron door to the south of where you come in. The button to that door only becomes active when you’ve done what the scroll asks.
Spoiler
Which is to find and pull all the levers.
The spectres in that room can be killed if you revisit, but you don’t actually need to.

antraxus: you have a pm.
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

i m pretty much at the end now, but the Clerk says something about a 2nd Person, and i cant pay him anyway with the cash i have.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I think that message about the second person must be appearing when it shouldn’t. I’ll have a look at that, but it doesn’t matter.... if the clerk asks for the money then the second person must have been recognised.

The best way to get all the money is finding all of the onyx gems. Trading them with the black market guy at the docks or junkyard almost gives you enough. Certain armours are worth a lot, and selling the map scrolls to the wandering merchant near the eastern shops can raise some decent money.

One piece of advice I’d give is to make sure you save the game before paying him and don’t overwrite it... because you can’t get back.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

m1ckey wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:52 am
Leslie wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Back in the 80´s, when I was completing original DM for the first time, the puzzle behind "when rock not rock" got me so frustrated I quit playing for weeks. When I got back to it, it seemed so simple.

HANG ON! 8)
I did the same thing, it bugged me sooo much, and all I needed to do was walk through the wall!
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

So finally... I demonized the old man's ghost. The battle itself doesn not seem that hard, but I get killed by the randomly launched lightning bolts.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It’s all in the timing in line with his movement. They’re shot from him in all directions, but if you get the timing right it’s possible to beat him without getting hit.
A certain special weapon will make the fight a lot quicker if you can find it....
Spoiler
.... it’s connected to something in his garden.
He can be beaten without it, but it will take much, much longer because he has crazily high hp.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

You mean the garden with the stone table and the scroll?
After reading it, I tried chopping things, but this obviously was not the right thing.
I will look again later, or maybe try the battle again with a Vorpal blade, I'm already quite tired today evening.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Right object, wrong action. A certain word on the scroll is the key.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Yeah, I should look for PMs... and choose the right party leader *bangHeadAgainstWall*
I really should go to bed now :)
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I am now on the ship... anything else to do here, or do I just have to wait until the one or two days mentioned in the scrolls have passed.... :)
Okay, serious again, I found the first and the third part of the recipe along with the keys, but it seems I missed the second. And it seems I am running out of time, as my characters are losing levels...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The scrolls at the start refer to....
Spoiler
.... the plague that is aboard the ship. You have around two and a half days before you die.
There are two objectives, but one is more pressing. You must....
Spoiler
.... cure both Naerza and Meseu, and light the ship’s beacon. The cure should be top priority, as once cured you will be able to light the beacon at leisure.
If you let me know exactly what you have and what you’ve done, I can give you pointers.
Spoiler
The six barrels in the chemical store require keys to unlock each tap, but equally important are the scrolls which tell you what to mix and in which order. Drinking the wrong chemical or mixing them wrong can have differing effects, including death.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I have to tell this from memory, as I am not at home at the moment...
I have a scroll giving part one of the mixture, along with one of the keys. Unlocked the quarters and the stores. In one of the quarters there was a ladder leading to some items, here I found the third part of the mixture, along with another key. Also found a staff, which I returned to the weapon store room. There are still some doors I cannot open, including one with a scroll saying "hex in a team" or something similar.
I have some items from the stores, including a yellow and an amethyst gem, a magnifier, a fuse, a techexe, a rope...
By now, my characters start to lose levels... is that the effect of the plague?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, losing levels is an effect of the plague. Eventually it will kill you.

Retrieve the staff from the weapon store. It can cast a certain spell that you’ll need. Try it in various places until you find the right one.
From there you’ll get something to help with the “hex within a team” door.
Spoiler
It’s an anagram.
The stuff in the sundries store are mostly dummies. There’s one particular thing that you need in there.
You’ll realise what it is when you get through one of the black doors.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I see... I managed to open another door and get an axe. Opened the hex within a team door as well and found a chained pit.
So I guess the item needed from the sundries is the grapple, but I cannot open the pit.
On the way, I found the fourth part of the mixture, but still lacking the second.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Oops, yes the grapple... but something else too. The rest is useless.
Spoiler
Try opening the pit the same way you opened the door.
Also, the scrolls/keys are in no particular order. You’ll come across the second step as you go.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

An updated version of The Trail is now available.
The link at the top of the thread has been changed to this version.

v1.03 has minor bugfixes, some graphical changes (background, fonts, and an existing monster), two new monsters, directions via signpost on the town level, and extra food in the areas where it was lacking.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Nice work Saumun. It needed the signposts and the food.
keep your gor coin handy