[RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

[RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Post by Saumun »

This is part one of my latest dungeon, The Trail.
Quite a bit different from my previous stuff, so anyone that has played my earlier dungeons... download it to see how.

Here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/do8skw93j ... RT1.03.RTC

It was not originally intended to be in two parts, but it became apparent that I wouldn't be able to complete it in one file due to the object limit.
Even then I had intended to hold it back until the whole thing was complete, but time to work on it seems harder and harder to get... and part 2 is very much in it's infancy, so I've decided to release it incrementally.
Hopefully people will give it a try.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
boyflea
Expert

Re: [RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Post by boyflea »

Hey, looks great - I have never played DM2, [so completely thrown by the shop :) ] - bit more 'cinematic' so-far than your previous dungeons, looks groovy. :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I was a little green myself when making the shops. Just remember... when facing towards the shop, the table to the left is for selling and the right is for buying whatever item is displayed.
Some selling will be necessary in this dungeon.

They have other uses though. For instance, the potion shop has stuff you'd normally need spells for. So you could get, say, fireshield without having the necessary runes.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Also... I should have pointed out right off the bat that knowledge of DM/CSB spells is assumed (though I'd imagine most people visiting this forum would have that, but you never know).

There is also a puzzle later in the dungeon that references DM and requires knowledge of it..... just warning you.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Pretty much stuck here...

Only keys i´ve found so far are two gold keys for guard tower. What about the rest?

Also haven´t figured out how to proceed from guard tower entrance.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hey m1ckey...

Have you opened the guard tower, or are the guards blocking the keyholes?
If it's the former, you must be holding the spellbook and have found at least one power rune (because you'll need to cast a spell in the tower).
If it's the latter, go back to your house and you'll get a clue in the mail about how to get in.

If you mean how to proceed once inside, then pm me with more detail about which part you're at.

Also... make sure you have food when you enter. You'll be trapped until you find another way out.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Is there any way to defeat the ice golem?
I've been battling it for about an hour now hitting constantly with sword thrusts. I actually deal damage, but it seems the thing has thousands of hitpoints.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes... something particular that would win against ice. You don't have fireballs yet, but something else has a flame.

Thanks for pointing out that the ice golem appears to take damage. This is an oversight on my part. It shouldn't. I'll sort this in a future update.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I believe I did mention it Saumun, but there is sooo much stuff in this dungeon that I am surprised anyone can remember all of it, including you :) There are a few creatures that take damage but can't be killed until certain tasks are complete. Some knights for example.
I thought you did excellent at duplicating the shops, only one blip with it, leaving the purse, chest, sac, bag or anything with money on the table. Place it on the table to buy and then remove it right away. I believe the shop keepers will keep stepping on the trigger, there is no monster attractor to hold him when the party leaves.

This dungeon is exceptional, a sign of things to come. 8)
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You did indeed mention it CS. Just forgot to do it. Something for another update.

This release is almost identical to the one you tested, except for a few fixes, a few new sound effects, and a progress scroll (showing percentage completed and secrets found).
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I didn't get far with part 2, stuck in the first cell room. I can tell P2 will be more in depth. I think you've made a clear difference from the usual hack and slash and have made a move toward NPC's, trading and story line development. I get the feeling that you're showing how RTC can most certainly tell the story by interaction. Keep at it man.
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Thanks for the clue. I am now past the ice golem :)
I was looking around at different places, found many doors I guess I cannot open yet, and a large cave with bones on the floor and a ghost. I left that place again since I do not have DES EW or a vorpal blade yet.
As far as I could point out, the guard tower is the only place I could enter after being done with the ice golem. I am now inside the tower, but not very far yet.
Is it intentional that potions vanish after you drink them, without giving you a flask?
I would really appreciate something to store water, or even other items like coins. I did not yet found a water skin / money box / chest / bag / stuff like that.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hey Leslie

"I was looking around at different places, found many doors I guess I cannot open yet"

Yes, you will find doors with buttons that will not work until certain things are completed, it's odd but so is the dungeon ;) Do not expect this dungeon to be like any other hack and slash with puzzles, this one is different.

" and a large cave with bones on the floor and a ghost. I left that place again since I do not have DES EW or a vorpal blade yet."

yes, come back later.

"Is it intentional that potions vanish after you drink them, without giving you a flask?"

yes it is, I think it is to keep object count down and to be quite honest, a dungeon master with the knowledge of the potions is pretty hard to stop in a long battle, especially if the monster heals over time, such as vamperic touch or step heal.

"I would really appreciate something to store water, or even other items like coins. I did not yet found a water skin / money box / chest / bag / stuff like that."

keep playing, it will become available. Water won't be an issue, food will in certain places.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes... potions bought from the shop have disappearing flasks after use to keep the object count down.
Any potions cast into an empty flask that you found yourself will leave the empty flask after use, as normal.

The guard tower is definitely the way to go (some things you'll find in there will open up more of the dungeon), but if you want some of the stuff you mentioned, it would be best to load an old save and explore more.

Hint: other houses can be entered... maybe there's another way in.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Okay, made some progress here. Now I can´t seem to find key for the sleeping quarters.

Also, in the dungeon where you must disable techeyes, I have no idea how to open the door at the end of the hallway. The two levers seem to cast ZO spell, but no joy.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

m1ckey...

In the guard tower, did you open both central doors on the bottom floor?

On the other point, all four eyes need to be disabled to let the zo spell pass.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

It seems I'm stuck at the same point, or near to it.
I am in a symmetric room with four techeyes and a door with two tables and four beds behind it. There's also a not usable lewer and a keyhole, could be a square key hole. I found and used four cross keys and a gold key so far in the guard tower, but no further key fitting that lock. Two closed doors are also there.
I can move the tables and beds around. It' is possible to get past the techeyes once they close, but behind them are just small rooms with water meters.

Edit: Okay, found it a minute later :)
Past two other doors I now have a Ra coin and another cross key hole - and again no clue what to do next...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Did you see a scroll, reading
Spoiler
"Cleanliness next to Godliness"?
That second bedroom is
Spoiler
very untidy.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I didn't get that clue either Leslie, I think this was real tough
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Now made the next step to a circle passage where you can create a Zo spell flying around the circle.
Also found the scroll with the clue to step aside. Actually, stepping aside seems to do nothing. I suppose I have to somehow change the spells movement to have it hit the door?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, you do... but sidestepping is the key (not to avoid the spell though - for something else). Keep trying it and you'll find something.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

alright, onto the next...
behind the door is another ZO launcher, and the room has several launcher holes in the walls which seem to
Spoiler
consume the ZO and throw it out again through another launcher hole.
So, I positioned the reflector to have the ZO enter one of the holes. Then ran across the room, reposition the reflector to have the ZO hit the door. It actually comes out and moves towards the door, but instead of hitting it, the ZO just vanishes...
...and the lever to create a new ZO never enables again. So my savegame is lost, I guess :(
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Uh oh... the lever is supposed to reactivate. It happened to CS, but I was unable to recreate the problem in "test". I'll need to look further into this.
Do you have a recent save to go back to?

As for the puzzle....
Spoiler
There is another hole behind the door. Directing the spell into a certain hole will make it emerge from behind the door and open it.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

The reflector part was a bit tricky. I played a saved game when the lever broke, it appears there is a certain combination that deactivates the trigger.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Found the problem. Was of my own making. I loosened the timing of the puzzle, because I felt it was too tight.
As a result, you can get the spell into a place you shouldn't be able to.
Will be fixed in the next update.

For anyone playing version 1.01

In the second room of floor 4 in the guard tower, do not drag the reflector to the southern wall. It may deflect the spell into a place it shouldn't, and cause the lever not to reset.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ahhh, that explains it. Memory will deduce that it was non successful and fool the mind. I thought it was an excellent display of tactical abilities and reduction by trial and error.
Some human reflexes can take it to the maximum.
Last edited by Chaos-Shaman on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ahhh, that explains it. Memory will deduce that it was non successful and fool the mind. I thought it was an excellent display of tactical abilities and reduction by trial and error.
Some human reflexes can take it to the maximum.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

explains two posts
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yep... there are triggers that force the lever to reset when the spell explodes over it, but there isn't one in a spot near the door... because in the original incarnation it was impossible to get the spell there.

But I slackened the timing!

So in an effort to make the puzzle a little more player-friendly, I inadvertently made it potentially game-breaking.

Even so... it's nothing a reload won't solve, in this version.
It will be fixed in the next.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Saumun wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 pm Did you see a scroll, reading
Spoiler
"Cleanliness next to Godliness"?
That second bedroom is
Spoiler
very untidy.