[RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: [RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Post by Saumun »

If you mean the one right before the teleport (the three doors in a row), the third door opens when both the first two are open.
Spoiler
Open the second door, step between, turn around and cast zo at the first door.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Yes, that's the area. It does work by using the Zo spell without any issues.

There must be a problem with the mechanics for this area. The first time I went through all 3 doors without casting a Zo spell, but I couldn't re-create the sequence. The dungeon isn't consistent with the use of Zo spells, sometimes it works with doors with buttons (when it should IMHO) and sometimes it doesn't. So, I really haven't even been trying to use it except in the reflector puzzle area. I'll have to keep it in mind and try it more often.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmm... If you walked straight through, there must be a problem that I haven’t noticed before.
Also, though doors with buttons open with zo, I fixed this area so that they don’t (apart from that one) so that you cannot bypass the puzzles by opening the doors with zo.
If some have opened with zo, then there is another problem that I was not aware of.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Stuck again :twisted:

On the cauldron level
Spoiler
I've put 4 ingredients into the cauldron, but nothing much happened. are there more ingredients needed?
I've no clue how to open the Ra door, I didn't find any Ra keys. I guessing the key I need to advance further in the tower on the inverted level is behind this door?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
There are no keys for the ra door.
There is a coded scroll with some bones in a large room in the west of the level. It’s complicated to work out, but hints at what you need.
Alternatively, if you remember the fulya level from Chaos Strikes Back, there is another way around a ra lock.

If you’ve put the four ingredients in the cauldron, the eyes on the skull should be glowing.
If so.....
Spoiler
sometimes brute force is better than brains.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Yes, I have the scroll and knew I had seen something similar in some DM game, but couldn't remember which one.

The eyes are glowing I'll try what you suggest.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Ok, got the solid key. For the 5 levers puzzle I had to teleport out of the fireball lever and the 3 ghosts lever. I guess I wasn't fast enough for the fireball lever. I could trip the lever and get out the other side but then couldn't get back. The ghosts were too strong all at once. Teleported out and came back to kill them.

Still don't know how to open the Ra door.

Used the solid key. I'm guessing you have to activate the shooter to get something to the alcoves at the same time, but can't get the shooter to activate. Tried flipping in the switches in different order, but that didn't work.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Got the PM. Really didn't remember that from CSB. It's been a long time.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You did the right thing with the spectres that surround you.
Spoiler
Teleporting is the only way out.
For the part with the fireballs/green hazes, there is no way you can be fast enough to get out.
Spoiler
There is a couple of fake walls and a switch that turns off the fireballs.
In the place you are now, under the keep...
Spoiler
The floor pad in the corner shoots the key, the different coloured hazes change it’s direction (they are random, not timed), and the levers open alcoves.
Spoiler
You must catch the key in an alcove. The best technique is to use the one closest to the pad. Study the haze and shoot keys to see which colour turns it in the direction you want... then wait next to the pad. As soon as you see it change to the colour you want, hit the pad and open the alcove as quickly as you can.
It might take a few attempts, but eventually you’ll get it.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Must be doing something wrong. Got the old mans key, entered his house, resurrected his ghost but don't seem to be able to kill the ghost (so far 3000 hit points or so). I saw the scroll about strength so used some strength potions but that doesn't seem to help.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sending a pm.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Finished it. Very impressive on the new wall sets and monsters used. Some of the techniques used aren't my cup of tea (those were the parts I needed hints :D ), some of the monster fights became tedious (those with high HP that I used the two step fighting technique on) and I'm not a fan or randomly opening walls after an unrelated event occurs, but overall it's a very impressive dungeon. Looking forward to Part 2.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

DM_Player wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:37 pm Finished it. Very impressive on the new wall sets and monsters used. Some of the techniques used aren't my cup of tea (those were the parts I needed hints :D ), some of the monster fights became tedious (those with high HP that I used the two step fighting technique on) and I'm not a fan or randomly opening walls after an unrelated event occurs, but overall it's a very impressive dungeon. Looking forward to Part 2.
I know what you mean there. Things like a lever appearing where there was none and having to backtrack to places already explored were not my cup of tea either, BUT, once the player knows the style of the puzzles that it is not a bother. It was a great dungeon, add some trading and currency options with mobile NPC's like I think Saumun is doing will add some pizzaz to it.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I had a go to this dungeon. I am at the very beginning.
I have a hard time to find my way, running in circles, the outdoor 3D rendering is extremely confusing to me.
Is there a compass available, early in the game ?
I found shops, the graveyard, the lumberyard, a fountain, two closed houses, caves but totally confused to go back at found places
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I chopped trees for a couple of days to build the fighter which you might need later. The houses all connect to the underground eventually, that's when the crazy puzzles start. Be at the right place at the right time, go to the NE (there are spinners) and there you will find two guards that change shifts ;)
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

My question was:
Is there a compass available, early in the game ?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, there is.
It may be helpful for me to say that as you head out of your own house, you are facing north.
The house closest to your own (a few steps west) is accessible.....
Spoiler
via the caves below. Head northwest from your house to find the cave entrance, then look for rubble that you can bash.
It may not be clear what to do at the start, but the guard tower to the northeast is a good start... However, you need two keys, and must wait for the right time (a clue scroll will be delivered if you have been near the tower).
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Guard tower. I entered the tower. I see no way to pass the guards. Is there a way to disable the alarm ? Am I suppose to own a cross key ? I did notice the guards are not at an equal step distance, however I do not see how the "two steps from death" can help, since they go at me as soon as goes the alarm.
Spoiler
I did find, acces to my own house basement from the cave, I presume it does to other houses, I only found two gold keys, no more. I did not find the bashable rubble
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The two guards. I finally passed the two guards. I was on the right track but was not accurate enough.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, well spotted... they are not equal step distance, and you must be at least two steps away from both (two steps from death) to avoid triggering the alarm.
The rubble is a little to the west of where you open the way to your own cellar. It is a full wall of it. You'll notice it looks different from the ordinary cave walls.
You won't need the compass for the guard tower anyway. You can get it later.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thank you Saumun. I made some progress in the guard power. Not much. I found the rubble.
About the two guards, the alarm doesn't ring when too close to a guard, it rings once you enter the ring. I presume the guards have not only short sight but poor earing.
Spoiler
At the moving pits, a lever spits a Cross key, if it drops down the opening pit, I do not find the key down the pit in the cave. Is this intentionnal ? or a potential dead end.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Ah, yes... true. It is only when you enter the square. I thought it might be a little unfair otherwise.
The cross key gets teleported back to it's original location if it falls through the pit. This is intentional. You must time it so that it falls on the closed pit, then turn and grab it. If it falls, you must reset the lever by standing on the pad, and try again (or reload).
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I think, I retried the lever, but later on, coming back at the lever, it did not give the key again.....but, may be I confused from my save games that are much desorganized. I will look into it more carefully.
I will need a clean start from the beginning, now that I have maps and some idea of what to do. Mapping is horrendous in bushes and caves. I guess this game asks for a total detailed mapping. I don't have much of the large cave and I spotted a silent teleporter/spinner.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi terkio

I had the same problem at first, my solution was to use the zokathra spell and put them on the floor, marking everywhere I went. I did not go over the object limit and I placed hundreds of them. Saumun destroyed spent objects as he went so it left enough objects to use. Another crazy dungeon, look forward to more.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You must have dungeons mixed up CS. You cannot cast zokathra for most of The Trail.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I do not have any of the zo kath ra runes. I am at the very beginning, at only 6% game completion.
jahmiann
Artisan

Post by jahmiann »

Hi saumun

I finished guard tower, but where to go with the new junk key ?
Spoiler
i tried use it on house with broken lock but doesn't work ...
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Spoiler
The junkyard ? Just a guess, Actually, I do not know.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Saumun wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:58 pm You must have dungeons mixed up CS. You cannot cast zokathra for most of The Trail.
Yes, you created two dungeons right, it was Underverse and not The Trail which you made sure it didn't happen in Underverse. Sorry, am I bad. My brain is a dungeon :oops: . In The Trail I did use markers of some kind, I think it was food itself, and those mana blossoms too. By using markers I was able to use a glance in the view instead of the map. When mapping there is another method I used as well. Always face N and use the sidesteps, this keeps the brain orientated which often I am not :?
keep your gor coin handy
jahmiann
Artisan

Post by jahmiann »

yes i found the junk yard, i have now the vorpal blade and the Ew rune.

But does the black blaze which defend the magic map in the cave can be killed ?