[RTC] Underworld Dreams 1.2

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: [RTC] Underworld Dreams 1.2

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It's enjoyable to play ones thoughts, it had a lot of feeling in it. Owned it. having 5 years invested. Let's put out a wish that you're right about his cunning planning creations. There is a need to share ideas more, views.
keep your gor coin handy
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I would certainly like to discuss this with Adamski, and yourself, when he returns. I would love to make a full RTC dungeon - I have made a few for CSBWin, and half of one for RTC (a sort of DM clone with a few extra levels which introduced me to the editor), but seeing what can be done has got my creative finger itching again. But to invest so much for so few to see it is a shame, which is why I hope we can revive some interest in the format.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I could not agree more on that Paul. I am willing to show some work I have done over the years as well. It appears Adamski has done quite a bit of testing and has come up with some unique and wonderful things. He has brought out the same feeling in me. I have some work to show both of you. I did it 5 years ago, so I'll need to go over it. It is flawed, it was all the testing work I did back then and as you claim, nobody seem to take interest in it. With Adamski's help, he could streamline it, I am working with Claude and he has a story and a lot of the characters artwork is already done. I noticed his amazing ability to keep a file small. There was great sound, graphics, quite amazing. Let me know when you are ready. I have some AI test dungeons that might pique your interest and hopefully Adamski's too. He mentioned sharing Underworld Dreams, I sure hope so.
keep your gor coin handy
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Very interesting! Once I have finished UD1.2 again I'll take a look for sure.

Speaking of I have just completed the Amber Tower, and have already found plenty of things I missed the first time around.
Spoiler
I somehow managed to miss Goro! Is now part of my team instead of Fahn. I also found the Amber sword and a further dream, which gave me a clue about the first fairy village and the item she wanted./spoiler]
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I still haven’t had any decent amount of time to give this a try. Hope to!
Looking at the last few posts concerning dungeon building, I’m amazed at how much Adamski manages to pack into them given the object limit.
I think he must have a special talent in being able to streamline his mechanics very well.
When I think of something complicated I want to do in my dungeons, I’m usually able to do it with some thought but it’s often messy and object-heavy, which ultimately restricts me in the larger dungeons.
Could definitely learn a thing or two from this guy.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Some of the stuff in his dungeons has time limits, then the object ceases to be.
Spoiler
Managed to get the Jade Axe past Quilp, but still not as good as my trusty sword ;-) Which in turn, seems a little better than the Amber Sword too
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Things seem 'different' this time I am replaying. Very likely it's just me remembering how good my characters were at the end of my 1st attempt at the game, and I am not sure how weapon damage is calculated - but I am struggling to damage or even hit monsters. I seem to be only making contact with most things only 1 in 3 times. I took me 11 attempts to even hit a amber wall earlier! I am not sure what it is, maybe low dexterity.
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Hi guys.
GG finishing it, Paul! I think I was around 60% secrets as well when I finished it, but was able to get all the remaining secrets after asking Adamski by PM. Some secrets give a lot more information on the storyline (everything linked with Bateson quest, in particular).
If someone wants some clues about some secrets, I can give some. Chaos, did you try getting the secrets you missed?
Since Adamski is not there, I'll tell you what he told me:
I'd like to fix as many errors as possible and balance UD, thus I could use some help from those players who finished the game. Please, could you tell me what parts of the game are too easy or too difficult? Are the bosses balanced? Which ones should I strengthen or weaken? Any your suggestions would be welcome.
So I'd say: send your opinion and suggestions to Adamski by PM, so he can take them into while making v1.3.

Other than that, yes, I too was impressed with the amount of mechanics and the size of the dungeon, knowing the limitations of RTC. Some of the new mechanics, I don't know how he did them... The astral spell, for example. Well, I think I get the idea, but how he realized it this perfectly... And I really love how Adamski creates great new mechanics and build whole parts of his dungeon on them, like with the astral spell (and many of the other new spells as well!), the Sivis dungeon, the amber tower, the mines, or in ToC the gems and the clock level...

Yep, this is really a must-play dungeon if I know any.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I shall indeed PM him after I have finished my second run at it.

I'd say that it was a challenging, but balanced game for a seasoned DM player. For a complete newcomer to the game, then they would struggle - part and parcel of this creation (well all, I suppose) is taking into account that people will know what DM is and its quirks. Adamski has expertly done this, creating an engaging game for even the Archmasters amongst us. Not that I don't think a novice wouldn't be able to play it - it has that appeal too.

I think the balance has to tip back and forth through varying areas, or it might become a little predictable. Sudden shocks, which are done well, contrast nicely with pleasant and easy confidence boosting parts of the game. The secrets and sub quests add a large part of this.

That said, I think I'd like to see a different structure of weapons. As in my review (and this is a preliminary conclusion), the initial sword you find, and Goro's axe, are two excellent weapons this early on with little need to change them. I think a few more choices, with pros and cons to each would let the fighter inclined DM players to experiment and find something that suits their play. Same with armour, seemed quite scarce, but I did like the new items. More shops maybe? In addition I think a few of the monster floods were hard, ie all the large wood golemn things after the giant snail.

But I still have a lot to discover.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

This leads me on to damage calculation. In the original game, damage was based on weapon strength and attack mode strength. In RTC only the latter applies. So a Diamond Edge, for example, will only hit has hard as a dagger when you stab something. This can unbalance the weapons. You can of course clone the attack modes then edit it it in to the weapon so you can have varying strengths of stab, chop, thrust etc. The standard RTC thrust is generous, and in almost all RTC games as soon as I get a thrust weapon (and realise it is not an adapted clone), I generally keep it. I think this was the case with this sword. That said, the Amber Sword thrust seemed less, so I think that had been modified.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

PaulH wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:39 pm Things seem 'different' this time I am replaying. Very likely it's just me remembering how good my characters were at the end of my 1st attempt at the game, and I am not sure how weapon damage is calculated - but I am struggling to damage or even hit monsters. I seem to be only making contact with most things only 1 in 3 times. I took me 11 attempts to even hit a amber wall earlier! I am not sure what it is, maybe low dexterity.
That depends on what weapon you use. He incorporated special attacks. I found that hook weapon the most effective, provided you can handle the damage it life sucks from the party. What an amazing idea. It is sorta like vamperic touch, I worked on that with Banville test example.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Igor Poulpupov wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 pm Hi guys.
GG finishing it, Paul! I think I was around 60% secrets as well when I finished it, but was able to get all the remaining secrets after asking Adamski by PM. Some secrets give a lot more information on the storyline (everything linked with Bateson quest, in particular).
If someone wants some clues about some secrets, I can give some. Chaos, did you try getting the secrets you missed?
Since Adamski is not there, I'll tell you what he told me:
I'd like to fix as many errors as possible and balance UD, thus I could use some help from those players who finished the game. Please, could you tell me what parts of the game are too easy or too difficult? Are the bosses balanced? Which ones should I strengthen or weaken? Any your suggestions would be welcome.
So I'd say: send your opinion and suggestions to Adamski by PM, so he can take them into while making v1.3.

Other than that, yes, I too was impressed with the amount of mechanics and the size of the dungeon, knowing the limitations of RTC. Some of the new mechanics, I don't know how he did them... The astral spell, for example. Well, I think I get the idea, but how he realized it this perfectly... And I really love how Adamski creates great new mechanics and build whole parts of his dungeon on them, like with the astral spell (and many of the other new spells as well!), the Sivis dungeon, the amber tower, the mines, or in ToC the gems and the clock level...

Yep, this is really a must-play dungeon if I know any.
I will wait for 1.3, Igor, it took me months to finish it the first time around, but being a fighter I enjoyed building my toughness, he did strip the fighter quite hard of their attributes but it was for good reason, the dungeon wasn't designed for a thick skinned player :) There are lots of options to deal with strong fighters. It didn't stop me from hacking and slashing, pushing the limits.

The Astral spell, okay, so it is very impressive and I messed with this before, but unless GG comes back and fixes the pick up attack, this can be a dead end. The party can't pick up all objects, the left side pouch will not load back items, potentially losing necessary objects, like a key.

I loved the spells, and it is very impressive and I'd love to have a look at those mechanics, there was a few problems. Force needs to be dealt with. It was easy to force a way past doors by casting the ice spell to hold a door open and then FORCING, as a fighter would, through the door.

Anyone who likes dungeon master has to play this one!
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

PaulH wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 pm I shall indeed PM him after I have finished my second run at it.

I'd say that it was a challenging, but balanced game for a seasoned DM player. For a complete newcomer to the game, then they would struggle - part and parcel of this creation (well all, I suppose) is taking into account that people will know what DM is and its quirks. Adamski has expertly done this, creating an engaging game for even the Archmasters amongst us. Not that I don't think a novice wouldn't be able to play it - it has that appeal too.

I think the balance has to tip back and forth through varying areas, or it might become a little predictable. Sudden shocks, which are done well, contrast nicely with pleasant and easy confidence boosting parts of the game. The secrets and sub quests add a large part of this.

That said, I think I'd like to see a different structure of weapons. As in my review (and this is a preliminary conclusion), the initial sword you find, and Goro's axe, are two excellent weapons this early on with little need to change them. I think a few more choices, with pros and cons to each would let the fighter inclined DM players to experiment and find something that suits their play. Same with armour, seemed quite scarce, but I did like the new items. More shops maybe? In addition I think a few of the monster floods were hard, ie all the large wood golemn things after the giant snail.

But I still have a lot to discover.
The novice might not have as much trouble, they have no expectations that may cause the player like myself to overlook the situation. I got caught on the simplest of things :)

No question on design, he gets 100% on that.

Shops, yes, the NPC can be the shop, have a look at the example ROC, Reign of Chaos. The party meets up with NPCs that are basically the shop. What's needed is well placed counters to distinguish them apart. No big deal. It would work nicely with UD.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

PaulH wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:17 pm This leads me on to damage calculation. In the original game, damage was based on weapon strength and attack mode strength. In RTC only the latter applies. So a Diamond Edge, for example, will only hit has hard as a dagger when you stab something. This can unbalance the weapons. You can of course clone the attack modes then edit it it in to the weapon so you can have varying strengths of stab, chop, thrust etc. The standard RTC thrust is generous, and in almost all RTC games as soon as I get a thrust weapon (and realize it is not an adapted clone), I generally keep it. I think this was the case with this sword. That said, the Amber Sword thrust seemed less, so I think that had been modified.
Amber sword, yeah, If I remember correctly and probably not, had a few glasses of wine today, it offered speed, the speed sword? and could carry all the heavy stuff when equipped which in this case, since strength potions were not allowed, it is a must. The dungeon is so big it is hard to remember :)
keep your gor coin handy
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Speed Sword gave a big extra strength addition, which in combo with its quick attack made it a good bet. I managed to have enough money for the Fury Axe as soon as I reached the Gypsy Wagon. +100 strength, which with the berserk option makes it very potent. Am using this axe an the standard sword, and am on the fourth book.

I will be changing the sword for Judgment when I get to it.

Now the pain hook, very interesting! I discarded it almost straight away on my 1st game, as it didn't seem to do much, but will investigate further.

The Astral spell - I wondered where my compass went! And some flasks. Thought I was going mad.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It was fun building up the assets. When I reached the wagon, I could buy all of them, and of course I did and tested them all. Being a fighter it piques the interest in what weapon is more powerful or in my case, useful. Dodging spells and danger are a fighters best strengths. Even a simple sword is good for damage, but a fighter's rule is, avoid being hit in the first place so to stand in the enemy monsters face, tease them into submission to act predictably.

Pain hook, with a heal potion in hand, it is the ultimate weapon.

Sivis dungeon needs a warning, carry lightly.
keep your gor coin handy
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Chaos-Shaman wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:45 pm The Astral spell, okay, so it is very impressive and I messed with this before, but unless GG comes back and fixes the pick up attack, this can be a dead end. The party can't pick up all objects, the left side pouch will not load back items, potentially losing necessary objects, like a key.
I didn't know that! So that's what happened to my clan keys! I'm pretty sure Adamski didn't know about that bug.

For the weapons, I dismissed the first sword very quickly, might have been a mistake... I also used the pain hook a lot, a very poweful weapon indeed. I dismissed Judgement, it seemed to miss a lot and to do poor damage, and used a green axe (don't remember the name, I think it increases strength too) for quite a long time instead, but it's very weak compared to the pain hook or to Fury. Before the pain hook and that green axe, I was probably using the amber sword too.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Judgement had the the push creature attack - which also damaged them - which I found very useful. If I got stuck in an alcove I'd just shove the creature away, and the Kraken fight was a breeze.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

PaulH wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:41 pm Judgement had the the push creature attack - which also damaged them - which I found very useful. If I got stuck in an alcove I'd just shove the creature away, and the Kraken fight was a breeze.
Yes, forcing your way, another fighter skill. If you put Judgement in one hand, and the pain hook in the other characters active attack hand, it certainly gave the fighter a way out. I only used two characters so It was more of a challenge since Goro was the only one that had the fear attack, I had the horn but needed another hand. It may well be better to have 3 characters in this case.

Some of the monsters were tough and this was due to either their long range attacks or the speed from which they moved. It should be easy to make the monsters more powerful, not in strength, but AI. Monsters can dodge attacks, they can also change their attacks in a way to prevent the submission and predictability, just a little more programming. I have a test dungeon that dodges attacks and stalks and checks the party instead of full engagement. trying to kill them is a lot harder for fighters and spell casters. They will move out of the way, I think a lot of people wanted this feature from reading about it on the forum. I have no problem sharing it, should have been done years ago.
keep your gor coin handy
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I can't remember where the Pain Hook was now! I imagine I will find it again shortly.

I wasn't sure the creature AI could be manipulated that way, very interesting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I forget where that pain hook is, probably dream palace. It was a big dungeon, not as square, but objects and attacks, spell manipulation, counter use, story, side quests, tactics, memory, a bunch of sh it, impressive. AI, yeah man, why not. One drawback to AI, it does take a tic, always will. Want to add something to programming in RTC, it'll cost a tic.
keep your gor coin handy
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

In the Cloud Castle there is a staff in the Hall of Fire I cannot get, behind a purple block. Also a winged key hole. Anyone know how to access these?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

PaulH wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm In the Cloud Castle there is a staff in the Hall of Fire I cannot get, behind a purple block. Also a winged key hole. Anyone know how to access these?
This part confused me too, I did get the staff of whatever it is. I never used any of the special weapons other than the speed sword and the pain hook, and once in a while, that Thor hammer bashing thing. There are a series of those special floor plates, sequenced in that area. I wish I could remember it. If you want I can look back at my save games. I saved like 150+ times x3, I have to have it in there somewhere. Problem is, I played 1.1. Might be changed. Only a devoted player would play this dungeon twice, right away, I commend you on that Paul.
keep your gor coin handy
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

PaulH wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm In the Cloud Castle there is a staff in the Hall of Fire I cannot get, behind a purple block. Also a winged key hole. Anyone know how to access these?
I don't remember the winged keyhole. For the staff, I think there's a text somewhere that gives you a clue on what to do. If I remember correctly, there are things appearing and disappearing in that room? I think you have to
Spoiler
put an item on all the tiles where these things can appear
For the pain hook:
Spoiler
I think it's in the butcher dungeon, maybe in the torture cells next to where you find a story_book_floor_object or whatever you'd call that
CS: The AI modifications sound very interesting, the enemies behave in too predictable ways much too often in classic dungeon crawlers.
I remember playing one of these dungeons where you demonstrate what can be done in RTC, it was pretty interesting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Igor Poulpupov wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm
I don't remember the winged keyhole. For the staff, I think there's a text somewhere that gives you a clue on what to do. If I remember correctly, there are things appearing and disappearing in that room? I think you have to
Spoiler
put an item on all the tiles where these things can appear
For the pain hook:
Spoiler
I think it's in the butcher dungeon, maybe in the torture cells next to where you find a story_book_floor_object or whatever you'd call that
CS: The AI modifications sound very interesting, the enemies behave in too predictable ways much too often in classic dungeon crawlers.
I remember playing one of these dungeons where you demonstrate what can be done in RTC, it was pretty interesting.
You are right about the special floor tiles, they all need to have an object on them, took me a while to figure that one out.

I do believe the pain hook is in the butcher area, he also had the same sounding attack. So I think that would be in the abandoned house.

I'll send you a private message about the AI, I think there are no special graphics so should be able to send you the txt on it. I had a look at it just recently, it's pretty cool, don't know why I didn't pursue it further, there was a knight that stalked the party 3 tiles away, then would wait until it had the chance to rob the party which put the stolen object on the floor after he bumps into the party, then there was a section where the wiz eyes were dodging fireballs as well as punch and kicks. hard to hit. UD would benefit from this.
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Hi there,

just need a small push to the right direction.
I finished some parts of the Amber hall near to the top of the big tree.
I found three cages, one with a sprite in it. In the same room was another tree-like thing that needed to be ZOed.
The obvious door opened, but I got a message that two doors would have opened. I took a look but found no other door.
To me the only open points in the amber hall are the "some createures are attracted by light" puzzle, and a closed doors with some fireball casting fairies behind them which I cannot open. What could I try?
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Leslie
Spoiler
you need one of the sprites in the cage for later, not sure I finished the top, only found 67% of the secrets
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay, finally having a crack at this despite only being able to manage a few hours a week. I’ll just have to spread it out over a long time.

I’m stuck already.

I’ve completed (at least I think I have) the amber tower, and
Spoiler
Mr. Quilip has took the wand.
Back at the bottom, something was said about Furion maybe accepting something else. I went back to Furion, but nothing happens.
I don’t know if I’ve missed an opening, or something obvious but I cannot see anywhere else to go.
The only other thing I’m aware of is there was a place in the amber tower I couldn’t open. It’s between two doors on floor 8. One is next to the stairs to floor 9, and the other is a portcullis around the corner. They connect to the same area.
Is there something here I need, or have I missed something somewhere else?
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Hi Saumun,

regarding Furion
Spoiler
use the proper spell on him. You should have learned that spell in the amber tower.
regarding the closed door
Spoiler
you can open it from another room inside the tower. Try to build a stack of amber walls in the shaft thet reaches from the top to the bottom of the tower. Then use the fireball launcher on the ground floor to decend level by level. There's a switch for the launcher on each level.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Thanks Leslie,
I went back to the tower.....
Spoiler
Built the stack and got in the area behind the door, only to be trapped behind another. There’s a keyhole that I’ve no key for, and there’s a golem behind the second door.
Is there anything useful in here?

On the other point.....
Spoiler
I used the spell on Furion
and am underway again. Thanks for that.