Towers of Chaos (old discussion thread)

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Lol, sure, send it to me cos I have a special kind of luck of stucking mysef in this way :)

And yes, you are right, probably even in the DM or CSB there is such a possibility, but I doubt there is a situation that a keyhole eats your last key and says: 'bye bye'. Well - I understand that for you it can be just a 'painful dungeon life'. But I prefer not to manage with such an accidents, because I save a lot and there can be a situation that there will be no way for me to finish the dungeon - only restart.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I remember a great place like that in DM lol, i was going for a speed record and i threw the corbum through the portcullis door on the rat level. That was the end of that attempt.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Hello... I just started playing ToC (on my old computer because I just couldn't wait anymore).

And I'm already stuck ! Can you believe it ? Maybe it's because I reincarnated 4 characters (Elija, Daroou, Gothmog & Boris) and food seems to be a big issue. Anyway I've reached the Graveyard/Prison area (hooray, what a long journey !!! :oops:) and am being blocked by 2 grates with no lock or button... Can't fireball them, my super trained Novice wizards manage to cast On fireballs but that doesn't seem to be enough to blow up the damn doors... Should I restart with less characters and boost my Wizard skills some more, or did I just miss something ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hello Florent!

Firstly you have completed about 1% of the game. Long way to go yet!
IMO, two characters, reincarnated works best.
Prisons are meant for getting out of, not into
The church altar likes lots of shiny items. It grants you further passage evrytime you 'donate'. Look in the graveyard for a coin, which opens a door where you might find something else.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Thanks Paul... Damn I never thought of donating a 2nd time ! I am quite anticlerical I must say ! :lol:
I did manage to get out of the prison, only never got past the 2 other doors in the corridor. I guess I know what to do with my silver coin now... :oops:
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Your priest is hiding in shame hehe. Food is OK once you leave the church due to... well, you'll see.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

food used to be a problem in earlier version - i take it its been tweaked now?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yeah, in V3.0 there are places where those grub things regenerate so you can get plenty of food. Plus I added lots of items throughout the dungeon.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i'm in the green tower and i have plenty of food, v3.0 is really better ! thanks Paul, i think i will complete TOC this time :)
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Yes I think I'm out of harm's way as well. Found the fountains and stayed a while without eating anything, now it seems I have too much food !
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Can't please some... :-)
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

:lol: just kidding. Now I'm stuck at "Time is of the essence". Is this just a hoax ? I managed to get to the other side of the grate without pressing all the buttons (I guess you can imagine how I did it). But it leaves me wondering if I should try to press all the buttons (especially the one on the right of the grate, the pit keeps opening beneath my feet before I have time to press) ? I'm always scared of missing something important...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

You have to be quick: very quick. But you found the bonus solution, so well done!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i love that time is of the essense puzzle
did i say love, i meant yelled at the screen in frustration tryign to get the whole sequence
fun though
the discovered the 'bonus' solution fro mthe other side and cursed a little bit more : )
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yep, Beo did it the way I intended!!! Excellent!
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

I can't really see how I could be quicker... Maybe if I come back later with my 4 characters equipped with Boots of Speed ? Or buff up with Ku or Ros potions - if it helps at all ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Well you did say you would be bad at Race to Fusion...

If you use the keyboard with one hand, and the mouse with the other it will save you valuable time. I tested this puzzle thoroughly until I was happy with a good percentage of successes based on knowledge of the sequence. BoS not needed!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i solved this puzzle in the 'normal' way, the trick walls are piece of cake when you pass the pits. and i just discovered the bonus solution today !
what i don't understand with you Florent is : how did you pass the 'Run and Run' puzzle in 'Imprisoned Again' and cannot pass this one ? :shock:
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

That's exactly what I'm asking myself !!!! OK so I did die once or twice in Imprisonned Again's "Run and run" puzzle before making it (I didn't pick up the stuff on the floor though !), but that's nothing compared to how often I've screwed this one up... I'm just glad nobody dies and I don't have to reload !

What a shame... Now I have Paul thinking I'm not even using mouse & keyboard at the same time :oops:

Maybe I got the sequence wrong here. But it feels like the second pit opens the second I step on it. In fact, once I stepped in front of that second pit and waited for it to open, and I thought I had the time to step up to the button, press it and step back. But I never even managed to press the damn button before falling.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Wait 'til you get into the Blue tower. If you think you have to be fast here, you'd better have your Weetabix before carrying on.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Eek !
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

OK I'm getting it. I am. I really am ! *excited*

You have a very twisted mind Paul ;)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Oh, it gets worse... My new dungeon (that I mention a lot, but never seem to be any closer to releasing) has 23 levels so far. ToC is just a shadow of this monster!

Er, you got inti the Wild Wood yet?
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Yes, I just made it to the wild woods, but haven't got the Key of B yet. So now I'm going to open the Fortress of Chaos with the 2 Skeleton keys !

By the way, I finally managed to complete the "Time is of the essence" puzzle ! Took me at least 15-30 minutes... Nevermind, I've been stuck in front of the computer at my father's house in Versailles for 3 days now, so much snow I didn't want to drive back home to Paris (where I don't have a working computer yet)... So I got some time to spend on ToC !
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

23 levels? Wow, that must be the world record biggest ever. So far? Might as well go for the full 64 because "they're there" - if not someone else might claim the record with a dungeon consisting of a pit on level 1 that falls all the way to level 64 :lol:

But seriously, is there a danger that it might be so vast that no-one will ever finish it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

23 is probably reaching the limits of playability. I can't imagine any dungeon would have enough different things in it over that many levels to keep me interested. Look at CSB -- it's only 10 levels yet it kept me going for months.

64 levels is pure folly -- it would take an age to simply build something that big that's reasonably playable and interesting, let alone actually play all of it.

Keep em short, interesting and challenging. Don't go overboard just "because you can".
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I doubt you can visit all levels in one game. And I am probably going to condense it a little.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hi everybody, I'm new to this page, and I have to say that I am positively shocked that there is such a tremendous site for my favourite game of all time! Such a shame that it took me so long to find it...

As you all can probably imagine, I was overjoyed to find so many new dungeons on this site as well - and TOC is the one I am currently playing. So far, I am very impressed by the puzzles, the design (the idea of a market-place, shops and so on is SO cool!) and the new graphics, especially the Zytazes. Sadly, I'm stuck now... I think I have completed the Green Tower (found the bridge and used my rope there) and found the teleporter back to the entrance to the Fortress of Chaos, but now I don't know how to open the blue tower. I have an orange gem, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Have I missed another gem? Does it have anything to do with the doors that are beyond the scroll that reads "False Infinity" (I don't know yet what that is supposed to mean)? Can anybody please give me a hint? Thanks in advance!

P.S.: About the "Time is of the essence" puzzle: I was able to do it after a few tries, but interestingly, neither did the door open nor did the trap in front of it close! I found my way through the illusionary walls, and when I came back, the trap was somehow closed - the door remained closed as well. A bug? Or is it possible that I don't have the correct CSB-Version? I use TOC V3.0 with the .exe-file that came with it.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i don't remember exactly, but i think i found the blue gem into the wild woods.
anyone to confirm ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hi Trantor,

Nope, the Time puzzle is working correctly, you can see the exact mechanics if you use an editor. Lucky you found the 'other way'! The puzzle uses quite a lot of secret actuators.

The blue tower requires a gem that, as Linflas says, is in the Wild Wood. This area shifts and moves: the gem is located to the far north and you will need the Key of B to open a door to get it. The False Infinity will become apparent later in the dungeon.

Glad you are enjoying it!