Towers of Chaos (old discussion thread)

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Well not exactly at the 'chase', more them 2 doors closed doors right at the beginning of the level. I could have made the dragon scratches an 'eye' or summat, but then everyone things 'ooooh, better press that!!!'
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, but i pressed them i pressed them i...oh, wait...
and the scroll i thought was 'the one' isn't, i don't understand what it means...what number? also, 'x' s don't show up well in dm....almost didn't get the right message

and aha! i never went back out to check those doors! after ages knowing those damn doors would be important, i never went back to check them! i completely forgot! hmm, i guess i need a huge amount of fireshields and my trusty vorpal blades
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Its a bit cryptic that scroll and doesn't immediatley lend itself to the puzzle. You shifted the letters x times to find a message. There is a certain number of dragon scratches... you'll get it!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ok, got it...funnily, also had two more keys just like the one i got...can't remmeber where i got them from, thank goodness i kept hold of them for the other part!

oh, there is a bug with the 'prove you are a ninja' part - if you come back again holding the object (which i did) you permenantly open a teleporter that takes you too your feiry doom

anyway, i don't know how to end the game! i have an orange gem, a certain powerful artefact and no clues
the starting story didn't really make it clear how it would end after you free the grey lord.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Prove you are a ninja - I toyed with the idea of hinting again incase you had the 'same item' still, but decided against it. Maybe I will put another message on the wall or disable once you have done the deed once.

Well you freed the lord and the balrog thingy dropped his item he stole... just need to find LC and do the deed
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

umm, then maybe i have spotted a bug...i'll pm you...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

This bug is from using the 'experimental' graphics.dat that I posted a long time ago on Christophes page where I drew some new walls and *ahem* altered the stats of a very important item. The 'Original' graphics file I posted, and the one you get when you download from the dungeons list is fine, or if did use the 'experimental' one, just sub the 'older' one in. Sounds like a right mess, but thats what happens when you don't label things! BUT V3.0 is what you'll need to look for when I release it hopefully tonight.
Still I stress that the download in the dungeons list by Zyx works fine IF you use the files together
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

alls well that ends well - for anyone interested(!):

PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Aw, you took Geoff! Thats my Dad lol
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, all is explained then...i wondered why i would have picked that as a name...thought i was goign mad...

well, he did me proud, he didn't get killed by a scorpion unlike some yellow headed dwarf i could mention
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

'Prove you are a ninja' - so I am stucked. I hear a click - I throw the FS. The next square teleports it. I throw one step before 'click' - the same. How can I throw it through that corridor when the next square teleports objects even in the air. Tricky. Hope that's not a bug.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Ah yes, once you step with FS on that 'click' there is no way to obtain PG. How odd. I was lucky I had a good save game.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

And now it crashes when I'm chasing LO with FS+. (TOCH 3.0). Grrr... I will try LC.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oh, i thought i was getting a crash because i was playing under a low resourced session of win98
i noticed withthe provious version;s graphics that the fluxcages are displaying weirdly, but have not had the chace to play the new version, let alone see the flux cages!

and yes, you can opnly capture LC - the other ones just get in the way!
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Is it normal tha this fluxcage makes a cage not a 1 square ahead my champions but 2 ?? How odd.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

no, that's the graphical glitch, it's displaying the wrong way

so it's actually generating it infront of you, it's just a bugger to work out where they are! and, apparently, they cause crashes then!

my advice is just to cast hundreds of them, or alternatively/aswell as you should calm a certain pointy headed one into a corner then flux him!
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

It mostly crashes when I fluxcage a lot and turn left :) ha ha
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, can i suggest turning right three times instead? : )
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

I almost got him but this stupid LO came into the scene arrrrrrgh !!!!!!! An it crashed.... :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

definitely have a calming staff on hand to push away the others while you are fusing skulls and fluxing chaos
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

ha ha got him, well done iustine, well done, go to sleep now :D
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Ho can I make some screenshot like yours Boewuuf ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i just used the screen capture feature of paint shop pro to create a few captures then edited it all together

and congratulations!

lo, sleep is always good
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I don't understand these 'graphical glitches', I can see no reason why they would happen.

Prove you are a ninja - yes you throw the staff, then the invisible pas cannot be activated when you walk over it. Just be careful coming back... However this has been updated in ToC3.0. (it doesn't exist), What version are you playing?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I just loaded my games of CSBWin DM, and CSBWin CSB (altered to have firestaff), both with original graphics.dat and the same graphical glitch happens. Very odd, never noticed it before. Could be a bug in the later versions of CSBWin
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

It is a bug with csbwin98. Paul Stevens has released a new csbwin98v8.

Please see thread: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23978

So if you download this, all will be fine
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Well it was v3.0 with savegame from 2.0 :)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Once you have saved a game, all the information for the game (from the dungeon.dat you started with) is stored in the savegame file. So updating the dungeon.dat will only be effective once you start a new game from scratch, therefore you would not see any changes and would still be playing v2.3
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Yes I know, I am glad I've just loaded a save game and haven't spend a more time on investigating this... 'riddle'. But what would be if I haven't had a good save game ? All the game would be lost - there would be no chance for me to retrieve a PG. So... this could angry me :)

BTW - after I finish your great dungeon I looked into the dungeon by CSBBuild and find out that LO is killable (v2.3) but has a big amount of HP. So - is this a second way to finish this dungeon ? (like in DM Java).

And another bug I'v discovered - in the section of invisible walls and 2 keys (one of 'the professions way') there was a (blue) keyhole that eats a key twice. No idea if this occurs in v3.0. Check it.

Thanks for a fine dungeon. Looking forward to grab the next one from you.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

iUSTINE, be sure I will send the new dungeon to you first to find out all these little bugs lol!

Which leads me think... is it possible in either CSB or DM to get yourself in a situation where you can no longer finish the game? I suppose in DM you could save the game after returning to the dungeon entrance with the Firestaff just after you are teleported, or by accidently throwing a key through a portcullis, if possible.